• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (5 Viewers)

Drake Mandarin on muddy area in field between Tapenhall and Mildenham this morning.
2 male Lapwings still
Cuckoos, Lesser Whitethroats, Grey Wagtails and Gadwalls amongst others.

When I walked down to the bottom of Egg Lane to Mildenham Mill I could see that there were actually 3 Red Kites circling over the field adjacent to Tapenhall pool, which was being ploughed, amongst about 12 Buzzards and 30+ Large Gulls - a truly amazing sight. Two of them seemed to drop down very low and the other climbed up - but by the time I got to the field they were gone. I spoke to the farmer who said his brother, who was ploughing the field, had got some footage of the Kites on his phone.

Also today - the Grasshopper Warbler was reeling from the same patch at 09:20 for about 5 minutes.

I saw my first Red Admiral of the year near Mildenham.

Other news from yesterday morning - a Roe Deer (buck) in the field adjacent to Coney Meadow.

A Muntjac was at Chatley on Sunday.

2 Hobbies over Coney Meadow this afternoon.

A couple of Speckled Woods seen also.

Amongst all of the usual warblers, singing Lesser Whitethroats at Linacre bridge, Hawford, Coney Meadow and by Chawson Lane allotments.

2 Lapwings still at Tapenhall this morning.

Grasshopper Warbler singing at Tapenhall this morning at ~07:20.
3 Tufted Ducks over Coney - a pair landed on the canal plus another pair near Hawford.
Lapwing over Egg Lane plus singing Yellowhammer.
Cuckoos at Coney, Tapenhall, Ladywood, Porter's Mill, Mildenham and Hawford.
Lesser Whitethroats at Linacre bridge, Mildenham and Coney Meadow.
Pair of Raven with one juvenile at High Park.
Gadwall (male) at Tapenhall plus 3 at Hawford.

On Wednesday, juv Grey Wagtail at Mildenham Mill.

Hi Dave We have managed to get down this evening like you said we heared it first and then we saw the grasshopper warbler at 8-30 Thanks for all your help Dek

Two Little Egrets flew over Coney and down the Salwarpe valley this evening.

Cuckoos showing well in several places.

Lapwing at Tapenhall this morning.

2 Yellowhammers Jacob's Ladder

2 Gadwall Coney yesterday + several around Tapenhall. Several Tufted Ducks.

Swan pair with freshly hatched cygnets at Tapenhall along the canal.

All the usual warblers, hirundines, Swifts, etc.

A Common Tern flew over Mildenham and Tapenhall this morning then up the Salwarpe Valley towards Ladywood.

Lapwing at Tapenhall still.
Several Cuckoos in the area, 2 Yellowhammers at Jacobs Ladder.
Kestrel, Tufted Duck, 2 Gadwall.
2 Lesser Whitethroats singing and a family party of Treecreepers at Linacre bridge.
Mistle Thrushes - juvenile at Tapenhall yesterday morning.
All the usual summer migrants

A Barn Owl was hunting over Coney Meadow this evening at dusk.
About 25 Swallows roosted plus similar numbers of Sand Martins. Lots of Swifts over.
Female Cuckoo feeding on Drinker caterpillars plus 2 males calling.
A Little Owl calling near Mildenham this morning.
1 Greylag over Egg Lane plus Skylarks and Yellowhammer.
Tufted Duck and Gadwalls.
Further Cuckoos at Porter's Mill, Tapenhall and Hawford.
Singing Reed Warbler between Jacob's Ladder and Egg Lane far from any reeds. ( in hedge).

Recent insects include Angle Shades and Latticed Heath moths plus Blue-tailed Damselflies and Banded and Beautiful Demoiselles.

Grasshopper Warbler singing and showing well in dead rose bush by east gate (Droitwich end) of Coney Meadow this morning. If it's the same bird that was present in early April then it's been extremely elusive and sporadic over the spring so far.

Cuckoo, Lesser Whitethroat and Kestrel also.

Hobby just flew over low.

Last edited:
Spotted Flycatcher Gorsey Bank, Droitwich Community Woods showing very well this afternoon.

Lapwing still at Tapenhall this morning plus Raven and Gadwall.

Coney Meadow this evening:

The Grasshopper Warbler started reeling at 21:45 this evening and was singing continuously until I left at 22:25.
The Barn Owl showed very well from ~22:10, perched and in flight.
2 Cuckoos feeding and perching on wires.
A male Kestrel caught and ate 2 rodents.
A pair of Tufted Duck flew over.
Roosting hirundines - Sand Martins and Swallows.
35+ Swifts
Whitethroats, Reed Warblers and singing Lesser Whitethroat.
Raven over.

Lots of Bats flying around at dusk.

Azure Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly and Beautiful Demoiselle earlier.

Below is a very poor record shot of this afternoon's Spotted Flycatcher (taken through bins):

Attachments

• Spot Fly Gorsey Bank 300516.jpg
    Spot Fly Gorsey Bank 300516.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 67
A Grasshopper Warbler singing by Coney viewing screen this evening from 21:35.
A pair of Tufted Ducks flew over.
Male and female Cuckoos.
Singing Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Sedge Warblers, Reed Warblers, Blackcap and Chiffchaff.
Male Kestrel hunting.
17 Sand Martins and a few Swallows at the roost
Swifts
Grey Heron
Herring, LBBG and BH Gulls over.
Probable Hobby over at 22:25 but too dark to be certain.

Highlights so far this weekend:

Little Owl Ladywood yesterday morning
Juvenile Tawny Owl Salwarpe churchyard yesterday evening
Spotted Flycatcher Gorsey Bank perched on wires this afternoon
Grasshopper Warbler performing well in the mornings and evenings at Coney - showing well near the screen this morning.
Plenty of Cuckoo action all over the patch.
2 Gadwalls over Coney this morning plus one near Hawford yesterday.
2 Tufted Duck over Coney plus a pair over Mildenham / Hawford
Yellowhammers at Chatley and Egg Lane
1 Cormorant over High Park towards Westwood this morning
2 Ravens over Hawford and 2 over High Park.

Family party of Nuthatches on Friday at Salwarpe plus juvenile GS Woodpecker, juv Blackcap and juv Treecreepers noted

Grey Herons, Kestrels, Lesser Whitethroats, all the usual warblers, Grey Wagtail, RL Partridges, Swifts and all the hirundines, Green Woodpeckers, Mistle Thrushes, Bullfinches, Buzzards, etc.

Azure and Blue-tailed Damsels plus Beautiful and Banded Demoiselles.

A Hobby over Coney Meadow this evening.

Plus singing Grasshopper Warbler, Kestrel, male and female Cuckoos and my first juvenile Sedge Warbler of the year - freshly fledged.

Hirundine roost c50.

Last edited:
Managed to escape from DIY for an hour last night, 100+ swollows at roost, cuckoo calling so to Grooper left of the screen, heron & sparrowhawk hunting too.

2 Common Terns lingering around Hawford fishing pools this morning.
A Hobby flew over Tapenhall
Kingfisher Mildenham
Male and female Cuckoos at Mildenham, Tapenhall, Hawford and Coney Meadow.
Juvenile Grey Wagtail Coney Meadow plus a House Sparrow (usually quite scarce in the meadow)
~50 Swifts over High Park.

My first Common Blue Butterfly of the year at Egg Lane yesterday.

Excellent views of a Barn Owl hunting over Coney this evening from 21:45 - it caught a vole then headed west towards Harford Hill with it. It was back hunting about 10 minutes later.

Grasshopper Warbler sing and showing near the screen.

2 freshly fledged juv Common Whitethroats.

Male and female Cuckoos performing well.

Ca. 35 Sand Martins and a dozen or more Swallows.

Spectacular close views of the Barn Owl again this evening. It started hunting early over nearby fields / game-crop strip before heading over to Coney. It caught a vole but was repeatedly attacked by crows - so it hid itself by sitting on a post under the bough of a hedge until the crows had gone - then it headed off with the vole due west. At one point, it flew to within 10 metres of where I stood. My record shot below (taken with a simple compact camera) doesn't do it justice - but you can see what it is. ;)

Also, Grasshopper Warbler, 2 Cuckoos, ~70 hirundines roosted, ~25 Swifts, Heron, Kestrel.

2 Tufted Ducks at Hawford plus further Cuckoos this morning.

Attachments

• Barn Owl Coney 120616.jpg
    Barn Owl Coney 120616.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Barn Owl Close-up 120616.JPG
    Barn Owl Close-up 120616.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 77
Spectacular close views of the Barn Owl again this evening. It started hunting early over nearby fields / game-crop strip before heading over to Coney. It caught a vole but was repeatedly attacked by crows - so it hid itself by sitting on a post under the bough of a hedge until the crows had gone - then it headed off with the vole due west. At one point, it flew to within 10 metres of where I stood. My record shot below (taken with a simple compact camera) doesn't do it justice - but you can see what it is. ;)

Great, I had a similar experience in Essex;
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=580722&d=1460493991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back