• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding trip to Orkney Islands, May 2012 (1 Viewer)

John Boy

Hi, I have decided and booked my first birdwatching trip to the Orkney island this year in May. I have been looking up of the main birdwatching sites on the Islands. So I have ideas of where to go.

Reason I am writing this new topic to see if any of you been before. Highlights of the main birdwatching sites and best places to go. My main interest is Hen Harriers, Short Eared Owl and Seabirds.

I would be grateful to hear any informations of the best birding spot on the Islands.

Cheers:)

John

John Boy,

You might have seen my request for information ref Scotland.

Just found your thread and as we are planning a trip ca a year from now I will be looking forward to your post after you return home.

Perhaps we can talk about your trip and give some do's and don't.

Have a great trip and good luck w/the birds and the weather. Sounds like you cant miss on the scotch.

Ciao

Dick

John along with Higsons Orkbird message board you can also check out the RSPBs Orkney blog. There is also Orkney birding group on face book. This has just started but has good frendly base of knoledgeable members who will be happy to point you in the direction of current hotspots. The facebook OBG has complete list of all the rspb/ocean events from bird walks to sea trips and storn petrel ringing in the document section. This might be of some interest. You could plow back through my blog, most of the main sites are written up in there some where!! The good thing is Orkney is a frendly sort of place and you should find advice no bother, just give a shout in to the virtual world and you should soon be pointed in the direction you want to head!!.....just bring the sunshine with you!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back