• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

That pool again! (1 Viewer)

Steve G

RAINBIRDER
A number of wee waders have been dropping into this pool from nearby Torrybay at high tide. Unfortunately the images are digicam videograbs taken against the light (I'll post the better images shortly) -what do you think?

Attachments

• WW12.jpg
    WW12.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 213
  • WW8.jpg
    WW8.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 198
  • WW9.jpg
    WW9.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 179
  • WW5.jpg
    WW5.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 201
  • WW7.jpg
    WW7.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 181
More views of the same birds. All were in recognisable summer plumage apart from two:

Attachments

• WW4.jpg
    WW4.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 157
  • WW7.jpg
    WW7.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 163
  • WW10.jpg
    WW10.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 203
  • WW11.jpg
    WW11.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 178
  • WW13.jpg
    WW13.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 171
The obvious summer plumage Dunlin all seemed to be ssp alpina. Only two birds appeared to be in early transitional plumage. However these two birds were noticably larger, had more pronounced supercilia, longer more decurved beaks & what dark patterning there was looked as pronounced on the upper chest as it was on the belly. With the light conditions it was almost impossible to tell whether the dark pigmented patches were coloured or black. I was wondering whether these two birds could be Curlew Sands????
One final image:

Attachments

• WW1.jpg
    WW1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
There is an incredible variety in size and bill length with Dunlins but I think you might be right with a couple of Curlew Sands. Just had another look and the last picture of the second batch is defenitely a Curlew Sand starting to come into summer plumage.
Another look and not so sure!!! The red-brown centres to the scapulars are 100% Dunlin and would not appear like that in Curlew Sand at any stage. Ho hum. I'm sure someone will come up with the answer but I am back to Dunlin.

Last edited:
Steve G said:
What do you think? -Are they all Dunlin???? :h?:

Hi Steve,

Isn't the bird on the left in your centre photo on post 4 a Ringed Plover? (Sorry if that is not what you're discussing)

Last edited:
Me again, typing as you are thinking doesn't really work! They are Dunlin even the long billed ones that look like Curlew Sands and not the Ringo!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back