• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish ID, N Germany (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
Found these today, inhabiting a relatively shallow lake here in northern Germany. I'm thinking Roach or something like that, but could be way off. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCF7611a.jpg
    DSCF7611a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 96
Looks in the right area; think that the reliable difference between Roach and Rudd lies in the position of dorsal fin relative to anal, but can’t remember the details.

Thanks, I've read that the apparent (but hard to judge from this angle) ratio on this picture (dorsal fin slightly behind pelvic) favours Rudd, however other details (e.g. reddish eyes, basic colour) are more indicative of Roach. It's pretty confusing and unfortunately I only really have pictures from this angle.

The top fish seems to show a sunken, almost concave area on it's back, between head and dorsal, is it an illusion? Could they be an exotic, introduced to this lake?

Have you ever taken a picture of something that's in water? The picture above is about as good as it gets, the slightest breeze and you'll get all kinds of curvatures.
The fish are definitely roach, probably the most common species of fish in Germany and possibly Europe.
The fins of Rudd are always deep red, the colour of the scales is rather golden and they live in different habitat with much underwater vegetation

Thanks everyone. Just to add (if it makes any difference), the fish were part of a swarm that was loitering under a small bridge. I'm not sure how much vegetation the lake actually has, but it is a large-ish lake which is quite popular with a large variety of ducks (and Savi's Warbler, and Thrush Nightingale, etc.). There were also two Goosander circling the swarm. The pictures were taken in calmer pauses between gusts of wind that would've blurred them even more.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back