• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Glossy Ibis is an absolute mega in Cambs. The last one was seen by only a couple of people in 2002. The last Cattle Egret was this year, near Earith on the Ouse Washes during the summer.
Cheers

Somebody at Welney WWT today told me about a Glossy Ibis flying between Earith and Sutton,

Hi James,

Was this someone from the WWT staff or another visitor?

No reports of Ibis in Cambs recently - fingers crossed the Yorkshire bird makes its way south through the county sometime soon!

Thanks! It was a visitor, not staff.

Doesn't look like the east coast action has hit Cambs quite yet - did Denver Sluice today which produced very little, but a few more robins than usual plus redwings and song thrushes bodes well for the near future. :t:

Glossy Ibis at Sutton Gault just come out on RBA and Birdguides! Does anybody have any more information please? It seems the guy at Welney knew something we didn't... Anybody been suppressing a Cattle Egret as well!?

Still there this morning. Flew north past Chain Corner at 7am, then on flood to south of Sutton Gault at 7.40am (and very nice it is too).

It was seen (and apparently photographed) on Monday, but yesterday was the first sighting since.

Still there this morning. Flew north past Chain Corner at 7am, then on flood to south of Sutton Gault at 7.40am (and very nice it is too).

It was seen (and apparently photographed) on Monday, but yesterday was the first sighting since.

Hi Mark

Would you be able to give me directions to this please? I know how to get to Ely and thats about it!, not familiar with this area at all. I would be coming from King's Lynn.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Went to see the Glossy Ibis today - looked lovely in evening light! I was talking to a local (who is on Birdforum and has photos of the bird, but I have forgotten his name!) and he said for the past few days it has been disappearing just after 6pm, which is what it did whilst we weren't looking, presumably to roost. So for anyone who goes after work, make sure you get there in good time!

Last edited:
Hi Mark

Would you be able to give me directions to this please? I know how to get to Ely and thats about it!, not familiar with this area at all. I would be coming from King's Lynn.

Sorry, only just noticed your message.
From A10 at Ely, head along A142 to Sutton, then turn left into Sutton at first round about (onto B1381). Straight over next mini roundabout, then at T-junction, turn right. After a few hundred yards there is a right hand turn, signed to Sutton Gault. Drive down here until you come to the pub/rivers. Park carefully, and then walk south down the east side of the washes (the footpath is next to the pub). View first flood to south after a few hundred yards.

Good luck

Went to see the Glossy Ibis today - looked lovely in evening light! I was talking to a local (who is on Birdforum and has photos of the bird, but I have forgotten his name!) and he said for the past few days it has been disappearing just after 6pm, which is what it did whilst we weren't looking, presumably to roost. So for anyone who goes after work, make sure you get there in good time!

Well done James:t: Glad you saw it. I have not been yet, may go tomorrow.

Sorry, only just noticed your message.
From A10 at Ely, head along A142 to Sutton, then turn left into Sutton at first round about (onto B1381). Straight over next mini roundabout, then at T-junction, turn right. After a few hundred yards there is a right hand turn, signed to Sutton Gault. Drive down here until you come to the pub/rivers. Park carefully, and then walk south down the east side of the washes (the footpath is next to the pub). View first flood to south after a few hundred yards.

Good luck

Thank you very much Mark:t::t:

Isn't it best to walk along the path the other side of the river from the pub. James and I did this today and got good enough views. Some people had walked along the path next to the pub but thats the other side of the river from the flood. You can still abtain good views as the bank next to the pub is higher, but for photos i suggest the other one Penny...sorry to confuse by mentioning so many banks...

Below is a very poor record shot because it was distant, bad light, and windy...

Attachments

• Glossy Ibis.jpg
    Glossy Ibis.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 152
Thanks to Mark, Simeon and James for help and instructions to the Glossy Ibis.

Drove from Holme to Sutton Gault and watched Glossy Ibis at 5pm until it went to roost at 6.20pm. Also here barn owl, sparrowhawk, bar headed goose, snipe, mute swans, herons and a water rail squealing. AND guess what just after 6pm some came scurrying along the path it was BF Reader (John) who had driven from Coventry and just saw it in time before it got up and flew against the sunset. Got some distant records shots! but can't post tonight as have to get up VERY VERY early tomorrow for spot of seawatching;)

It can sometimes be seen distantly from the road/bridge, but otherwise you need to go south down the raised bank for 300-400 yards. The path is through grass, and not paved.

Many thanks again Mark. Just got back. Was a bit of a difficult walk for me on my own but well worth the effort. What a glorious morning to be visiting this spot for the first time, although I'm ashamed to say this as it is virtually on my doorstep! Glossy Ibis, Bar-headed goose, Herons, Swans and a lovely Marsh Harrier. Only stayed a very short while but wil be back very soon.

Bar headed goose

I was watching the glossy ibis on Friday afternoon and noticed the "strange goose" with the swans. Everyone else was focusing on the Ibis so I took a few shots and was trying to identify it (as it was at distance) and I just put it down as a farmyard mix! (and was too embarrassed to mention it to others as no one said anything!)

Do we know any more about its whereabouts and is it definately a bar head? I will try and upload my photos later - but as said - it was quite far off to digiscope it and it was blowing a fair wind!
Tina

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back