• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

WWT Course complete, thanks for cooperation and help from those in the hides.
Very positive views expressed from participants. Some off to buy bins etc. good result!

Saturday 24th May 1015-1315

MOORS POOL
1 Snipe, 2 Avocet, 4 Oystercatcher + 2 young, 1 Shoveler (male), 2 Gadwall (both male), 49 Tufted Duck, 2 GC Grebe, 4 Little Grebe, 1 Greylag Geese, 8 Canada Geese, Ross's Goose, 2 Mute Swan + 6 cygnets, 12 Common Tern, 1 Herring Gull, 1 LBB Gull, 21 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 3 Whitethroat singing on the eastern side, OTTER - first at the north end (climbed out onto the old tern raft in the reeds, then on the eastern side before swimming across the pool the east hide).

SAILING POOL
6 Tufted Duck, 2 Coot, 2 Canada Geese

FLASHES
29 Avocet + 16 young in 6 broods (4:2:2:4:3:1), 3 Oystercatcher, 4 LRP, 3 Shelduck, 2 Gadwall (both males), 29 Tufted Duck, 1 Mute Swan, 11 Coot, 6 Moorhen, 3 LBB Gull, 3 Herring Gull, Garden Warbler still, workman in a hi-vis jacket working on top of the tanks in the sewage works put everything up.

As John was present at the Flashes from 5am I sure he will have more to add.

MOORS POOL
1 Snipe, 2 Avocet, 4 Oystercatcher + 2 young, 1 Shoveler (male), 2 Gadwall (both male), 49 Tufted Duck, 2 GC Grebe, 4 Little Grebe, 1 Greylag Geese, 8 Canada Geese, Ross's Goose, 2 Mute Swan + 6 cygnets, 12 Common Tern, 1 Herring Gull, 1 LBB Gull, 21 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 3 Whitethroat singing on the eastern side, OTTER - first at the north end (climbed out onto the old tern raft in the reeds, then on the eastern side before swimming across the pool the east hide).

SAILING POOL
6 Tufted Duck, 2 Coot, 2 Canada Geese

FLASHES
29 Avocet + 16 young in 6 broods (4:2:2:4:3:1), 3 Oystercatcher, 4 LRP, 3 Shelduck, 2 Gadwall (both males), 29 Tufted Duck, 1 Mute Swan, 11 Coot, 6 Moorhen, 3 LBB Gull, 3 Herring Gull, Garden Warbler still, workman in a hi-vis jacket working on top of the tanks in the sewage works put everything up.

As John was present at the Flashes from 5am I sure he will have more to add.
Not a lot to add Phil in my 7 hours.
The heavy rain and easterlies didn't bring anything unexpected.
Gadwall 4 (pr + 2m), Shelduck 4 ( the breeding female appeared for a few minutes , before returning from whence she came), Water rail flew into the 3rd Flash reed bed. Common tern flew through, then off east. 40 large gulls 9 herring and 31 LBBG - again BHG eggs and chicks were seized. a female cuckoo called from the Hen Pool. http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Cuculus-canorus?pg=1.

Attachments

• Little Gull 14 may 3 s.jpg
    Little Gull 14 may 3 s.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Little Gull 14 may 1 s.jpg
    Little Gull 14 may 1 s.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Little Gull 14 may 2 s.jpg
    Little Gull 14 may 2 s.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 90
Both shanks and Arctic Tern had disappeared by the time I arrived at 10.50 |=\||=\| However the Dunlin was still there and the 1st summer Med.Gull dropped in at about 11.15. There were three more Avocet chicks, which I thought was the 6th brood but it seems, having spoken to John, that it's the 7th. I had superb views of the Garden Warbler on my second attempt mid-afternoon and I then sped (well ambled and drove) over to the Moors Pool for the Little Gull. I also managed an Upton tick today in the form of a Red-eyed Damselfly along the Salwarpe path. Admittedly I was only looking as Andy P had seen on in that area earlier in the week...

Last edited:
A few pictures from today.

With everything else already mentioned, of vague interest was a Common Gull briefly at the Flashes this morning.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 20.47.33.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 20.47.33.png
    262 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8998.JPG
    IMG_8998.JPG
    506.1 KB · Views: 64
Just back from a very fruitful 3 hours till dark.

Moors
The little gull looked settled and was resting on the water when I left to go the Flashes at 8.15pm.
Also Shoveler male, gadwall, shelduck pr, common tern 14 - looks like there are 3 pairs in the 'new' raft.
Oystercatcher 4 ads + 2 chicks, Avocet,
swifts 200+, sand martin 10 plus many house martins.
whitethroat 3 singing along east side.

Flashes
The marauding LBBG were at it again. Catching quite large BHG chicks two thirds grown.
A Med gull roosted, after speaking to Mike it would appear that it was a different bird than his. This was a 1st Summer bird, with orange basal half and black tipped bill and orange/red legs. It had full black ear coverts and dark lores - giving it a black 'mask' effect. The rest of its head was a mottled black with a distinctive black smudge on its lower forehead.
The Avocet broods were 4:2:2:4:3:3 The 7th brood - Yesterday's newly hatched chick on the large shingle island, probably succumbed to the abysmal conditions. Its parents were still incubating the rest of the clutch.

Also tonight were: shelduck 5 (2 from flashes), gadwall 6 (1 fem), avocet 26+, oystercatcher, dunlin, LRP 4, LBBG 40 roosted, herring gull 4,

2 noctule bats fed over the sailing pool

Flashes
The marauding LBBG were at it again. Catching quite large BHG chicks two thirds grown.
A Med gull roosted, after speaking to Mike it would appear that it was a different bird than his. This was a 1st Summer bird, with orange basal half and black tipped bill and orange/red legs. It had full black ear coverts and dark lores - giving it a black 'mask' effect. The rest of its head was a mottled black with a distinctive black smudge on its lower forehead.
The Avocet broods were 4:2:2:4:3:3 The 7th brood - Yesterday's newly hatched chick on the large shingle island, probably succumbed to the abysmal conditions. Its parents were still incubating the rest of the clutch.

Also tonight were: shelduck 5 (2 from flashes), gadwall 6 (1 fem), avocet 26+, oystercatcher, dunlin, LRP 4, LBBG 40 roosted, herring gull 4,

2 noctule bats fed over the sailing pool

Mike / John - do you consider that either of these first summer Meds were the same birds that were present earlier in the month?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back