• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica servicing time? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Sent my Leica BA's for a general service at the beginning of the month (may), I've had a letter of reciept and change of ownership details but still waiting for an estimate (if any?)

Just wondering how much longer they're likely to take?

Also, anyone know anything about this 'Leica summer holiday' seems strange that the entire management/technicians/lab-staff etc should all take their hols at the same time....and presumably leaving a stack load of poorly bins in need of urgent medical attention!!

Matt

A couple of years ago I damaged my 'scope so, back it went to Leica (Milton Keynes I think). It took 5-6 weeks for an estimate. Then the scope was sent back to Germany for repair which took a further 8 weeks to come back.

Be patient!!

Nick

A couple of years ago I damaged my 'scope so, back it went to Leica (Milton Keynes I think). It took 5-6 weeks for an estimate. Then the scope was sent back to Germany for repair which took a further 8 weeks to come back.

Be patient!!

Nick

Bloo..

My opticrons were done within the week!!, patience isn't one of my virtues:'D

Someone tell me what I want to hear!!

Matt

Last edited:

Be patient!!

Nick

Pretty ridiculous, don't you think? It's certainly possible that Zeiss and Nikon (my bins) and Swarovski (my scope) are no better, so I'm not singling out Leica. But to ask someone to pay premium dollars/pounds for a product, and then to treat them like crap when they need a bit of service is unacceptable. Fourteen weeks is really tantamount to no service at all. Here's a question: if your name was Bill Oddie or (in the US) David Sibley or Kenn Kaufman, would you have to wait fourteen weeks?

A couple of years ago I sent my BA's off for an inspection/ repair. I guess they were gone about two weeks, maybe three at the most if I remember correctly.

I have sent my Leica APO 77 back twice and had it returned to me in pristine condition both times within 7 days.

On both occasions I sent an email in advance, sent a covering letter, received an acknowledgement by return and both repairs were carried out under warranty.

Would also be interested to hear how trashed a binocular has to be before it gets sent to the solms factory ? (not that my bins are trashed btw!)

There is a repair service centre in Milton Keynes but I suspect they have limited facilities there..

Matt

Woooooo!!

Got my bins back this morning, as hoped they have been fitted with a new rubber body and the focus is as smooth as somethings smooth bits!!

They did however forget to send my rainguard back - the nice lady is dealing with that though :girl:

Matt

I'm thinking of sending my Leica Trinovid bins in for warranty service on the focus mechanism. It has that pesky stiff focusing stutter somewhere in the middle which has gotten worse over time. My thinking is that if I send them off for repairs now I'll to get them back before fall migration! How sad is that.

Leica Service

I sent my 10x42 BNs in for repair (cracked sleave) back in april. I was promptly sent a repair estimate that stated "6-7 weeks. I started calling in July for progress reports...after the 3rd call I was told they would finish repairs on July 19. Today (July 23rd) I received a letter dated 5/23/07 (post marked July 18th) that stated:

"We are currently out of stock on the part necessary to your repair. Every effort will be made to expedite receipt of this part from Germany. We apologize for the delay and expect that the service will be completed on 8/25/07" :C

Does anyone else find the unacceptable? Are these isolated incidents? Really blows to have this kindof service on a product that is as fine as the Trinovids. Something I would expect from Bushnell or Simmons but I guess those you just replace.

Thumbs down to Leica in my opinion.

I sent my 10x42 BNs in for repair (cracked sleave) back in april. I was promptly sent a repair estimate that stated "6-7 weeks. I started calling in July for progress reports...after the 3rd call I was told they would finish repairs on July 19. Today (July 23rd) I received a letter dated 5/23/07 (post marked July 18th) that stated:

"We are currently out of stock on the part necessary to your repair. Every effort will be made to expedite receipt of this part from Germany. We apologize for the delay and expect that the service will be completed on 8/25/07" :C

Does anyone else find the unacceptable? Are these isolated incidents? Really blows to have this kindof service on a product that is as fine as the Trinovids. Something I would expect from Bushnell or Simmons but I guess those you just replace.

Thumbs down to Leica in my opinion.
Compare that with the experiences of Opticron UK users on this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=69772&highlight=opticron+service

That's the sort of service I would expect from Leica and the other big three. It must be very reasurring to discuss your problem with a technician rather than a consumer relations department.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back