• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about the Cornell Lab (1 Viewer)

rkj

We have had an invasion of Red Crossbills in my area (California) this fall and I am trying to take the opportunity to finally learn and try to record some of the call types. The Cornell Lab offers software (Raven Lite) for free to analyze calls, and I tried to obtain it. I submitted their online form which promised to email me the software, but I never got it or any response from them. I sent an email asking them about it and did not get a response to that either. Does anyone know what is going on there? Had a similar experience? Have any suggestions? Yes, I did check my junk mail box.

Thanks, RKJ

ebirds "Raven" project was a new one for me and looks more oriented towards encouraging researchers obtaining and submitting field audio recordings. However if you go to the ebird home page and click on "Explore" and then on "Search Photos and Sound", you are directed to the media catalog. There you can enter the species you are interested in and by clicking on "More Filters" you can choose what media you want displayed and hence can limit it to audio only if you want. Unfortunately it appears that they don't have any audio recordings on Red Crossbill. That does mean that if you can obtain any audio of RC they would be delighted to have you submit them in a regular ebird report.

We have had an invasion of Red Crossbills in my area (California) this fall and I am trying to take the opportunity to finally learn and try to record some of the call types. The Cornell Lab offers software (Raven Lite) for free to analyze calls, and I tried to obtain it. I submitted their online form which promised to email me the software, but I never got it or any response from them. I sent an email asking them about it and did not get a response to that either. Does anyone know what is going on there? Had a similar experience? Have any suggestions? Yes, I did check my junk mail box.

Thanks, RKJ

I would repeat the process of going through the checkout.

Niels

Thanks Owen; I had hoped to have the call type identified before submitting to ebird, but that either takes a sharper ear than mine or the spectrographic analysis I had hoped to do with the Raven software.

I would repeat the process of going through the checkout.

Niels

Thanks Niels; I have tried that with no success.

Further mystery: I was encouraged in this effort a few days ago reading this site: https://ebird.org/news/crossbills-of-north-america-species-and-red-crossbill, but trying to reach the site now give me an "Oops! Page not found" message.

Try putting the recording up on the ID Forum here on birdforum. Most people are submitting photos, but I have seen successful IDs from sound recordings also.

Alright, now I feel stupid as I should have thought to check this first. Go to the Opus link here at birdforum it's in the top left corner of this (or any other) page. Then enter Red Crossbill in the search. At the bottom of the listing is a vocalization for the RC.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back