• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WIFI question please (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I have a modern laptop which (I am informed) has WIFI capability. I am going abroad and the site has WIFI (if that is how I say it).
What do I do to enable it i.e. so as to get internet connection ?
The F2 button at the top has an antenna symbol which I assume I press-then what happens ?
(I have tried it at home but as I don't have WIFI nothing happens)

Make sure that the WIFI is enabled on your laptop, then look in the bottom right of your screen and you should see an icon resembling two monitors with a red bar across them. Right click on this icon and select the "connect to a network" option. you should get a screen displaying all wireless networks available.
Select the one which belongs to your site abroad and select connect. You may be required to input an access key which the hotel.office etc will be able to supply you with, but if no key required you should be all set to go.
Before you go on your trip take your laptop to a WIFI access point, ie Costa's Coffee, or similar and try from there to avoid dissapointment when abroad.

Around 4 years ago 2 of my neighbours were using my WIFI unbeknown to me untill I switched it off one weekend whilst we were away and when I got back one of them asked me to leave it on in future...bloody nerve of it.:C

Around 4 years ago 2 of my neighbours were using my WIFI unbeknown to me untill I switched it off one weekend whilst we were away and when I got back one of them asked me to leave it on in future...bloody nerve of it.:C
Thats why encryption should always be on, did the same to a neighbour and even got on to his hard drive, did the right thing and told them what needed activating

I have a modern laptop which (I am informed) has WIFI capability. I am going abroad and the site has WIFI (if that is how I say it).
What do I do to enable it i.e. so as to get internet connection ?
The F2 button at the top has an antenna symbol which I assume I press-then what happens ?
(I have tried it at home but as I don't have WIFI nothing happens)

If you turned on the wireless and searched for available networks unless you live in the middle of a field I'd be surprised if you didn't see a few networks. Have you a friend/colleague/neighbour you could experiment with?

Before you go on your trip take your laptop to a WIFI access point, ie Costa's Coffee, or similar and try from there to avoid dissapointment when abroad.
.:C

If you turned on the wireless and searched for available networks unless you live in the middle of a field I'd be surprised if you didn't see a few networks. Have you a friend/colleague/neighbour you could experiment with?

Thanks-I took it to the place I purchased it from and it did pretty much what you told me it should.

"Thats why encryption should always be on"..........
How do you do that?

"Thats why encryption should always be on"..........
How do you do that?

Not something you need to worry about unless you are setting up your own wireless network. If, when you connect to a network, you have to supply a password, the signal is likely encrypted but on a modern laptop that's transparent to you.

If you were setting up your own network with a wireless router and/or access points you would configure the router or AP to encrypt data, which is pretty straightforward on home network equipment from Netgear, Belkin, etc. It's pretty much a case of ticking a box and setting a password, but as said, as a network user as opposed to an administrator it's not your problem.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back