• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple questions about Great Horned Owls... (1 Viewer)

Steelflight

Hey all, hoping somebody here knows a little bit about great horned owls! I have a couple questions...

1) I heard one hooting in a wildlife park back in early January, and I heard it again on Feb. 3rd. Both times it was at the same time and in the same spot. I went up there earlier today and did not hear it (btw. 4am-sunrise). How often do great horned owls stay resident? Do they move around mid-season? If they find a mate, will they stop hooting?

2) Any tricks for finding great horned owls? Are they at all responsive to playback? Or could playback possibly scare them away?

3) When am I most likely to find them? I've been out just after sunset and never seen or heard one. I once heard one around midnight, though. I've heard the most at dawn, though (like 4am-sunrise). Is this generally true?

And lastly, are they likely to share a park with barn owls? I heard a few barn owls screaming the other day in a park (saw one of them later on-- so I know it wasn't a juvy great horned owl). Or should I scratch this park off? Someone told me barn owls and great horned owls don't get along too well.

Thanks a lot for any help or insight.

Hi Steelfilight, such magnificent birds are the GHOs. The night is not the same without those wonderful hooots. Let me attempt to answer your questions...

1. Adult GHOs are permanent resident year-round, however, birds living in the northern part of the species' range (alaska/can) may migrate south. The reasons you may not of seen/heard the GHOs (in the same spot), may be due to the fact they hold large territories -- need to be large to provide an adequate hunting area. Certain GHOs roost regularly in the same place throughout the year, but since they are not always found in their usual 'hideouts' it is questionable if the territorial instinct is operative during a period of several months following the nesting season.In addition to patrolling the nest territory against all invaders the owls apparently restrict their hunting to this same area. Incidentally, young GHOs may not breed for a year or two, and are often vagrants ("floaters") until they establish their own territories.

The hooting doesn't stop after they've found a mate, just less frequent. Typically, adult GHOs tend to be more vocal during the breeding season and beyond - a little more frequently at dawn than at dusk.

2. Owls in particular are responsive to playback, being curious birds and with very acute hearing. I have found GHOs less responsive to playback than other owl species. Having said that, they do and will respond. If you’re playing tapes or doing your own imitations (which i've mastered), start with a continuous series of calls for several minutes; then be silent for a few minutes. If necessary, repeat the calls. Although many owls will respond within the first few minutes, others will wait until you’ve just about given up. Remember, however, not to overdo the tape playing and once you get a response, quit.

Noteworthy: playback can give owls the wrong impression. They might think that it's signaling that there is an opportunity to mate, or that another owl is invading their territory. Also, it has been shown that silent listening in certain times of the year is almost as productive as using playback techniques.

3. GHOs live in a tremendous variety of habitats, but are likely to be most easily found in medium to extensive stands of upland forest with fields and edges nearby for hunting -- farming country, long winding roads, you get the picture?. I wouldn't necessary scratch the park off - they will be back, given time. However, I would search along the aforementioned areas also.

What time of night is best? Before dawn and at dusk are likely to be the optimal times to search. My most successful owling came between 3 a.m. and dawn on a moonlit night, when owls tend to be more vocal, and noisy traffic is at a minimum Dusk is an excellent time to go looking too. At dusk, many owls will come to forest edges to begin hunting. For listening purposes, still, calm, moonlit nights are best, but cloudy or foggy conditions can work too. Windy or rainy nights are rarely productive. Keep an eye out for power lines, telephone poles, bare tree branches, "headless lumps" and fence posts. If luck is with you, that unmistakable silhouette will rise up before you.

Lastly, GHOs are very territorial birds, they will often rid competition for food, that includes barn owls or any other owl species for that matter. Happy Owling!

Great info above.

Just to add. We use playback to call in Great horns, Long Eared,
Saw-whets, etc. Boreal owls will land on the recorder if you hold it above your head.

BUT...we don't use a recording this time of year as breeding is underway. We'll check out the Great Horned Owl nests about sunset when there is still a half hour or so of light. The male owls do a lot of patroling back and forth and are easy to spot. I sometimes find them hard to spot without a visual reference. The GHOs can be 20 feet away or 100 feet away and sometimes I don't get any sense of distance from the call.

Steelflight said:
Hey all, hoping somebody here knows a little bit about great horned owls! I have a couple questions...

1) I heard one hooting in a wildlife park back in early January, and I heard it again on Feb. 3rd. Both times it was at the same time and in the same spot. I went up there earlier today and did not hear it (btw. 4am-sunrise). How often do great horned owls stay resident? Do they move around mid-season? If they find a mate, will they stop hooting?

2) Any tricks for finding great horned owls? Are they at all responsive to playback? Or could playback possibly scare them away?

3) When am I most likely to find them? I've been out just after sunset and never seen or heard one. I once heard one around midnight, though. I've heard the most at dawn, though (like 4am-sunrise). Is this generally true?

And lastly, are they likely to share a park with barn owls? I heard a few barn owls screaming the other day in a park (saw one of them later on-- so I know it wasn't a juvy great horned owl). Or should I scratch this park off? Someone told me barn owls and great horned owls don't get along too well.

Thanks a lot for any help or insight.
In my part of the country GH Owls utilize redtailed hawk"s nest from previous years.
Several years ago I created an artificial nest site with an old tire.
I lag bolted the tire in the fork of a tree and created a basket or nest cup out of hardware cloth.
I lined the nest with pine boughs to create a nest cup and to conceal the tire.
No luck the first winter.The following year a horned owl fledged two young and used the nest for several years thereafter.
I slacked off on the upkeep of that nest site and now when I pass it I see an obvious tire in the tree.
I live on Canadian border in New York State and have observed two occupied GHO nests already.
If you know of any hawk nests in the area you might observe them from a distance with a spotting scope to see if you can spot the ear tufts of an incubating female.
GHO's respond readily to calls mimicing a calling GHO , also to predator calls emulating rabbit in distress. I personally wouldn't do much of that stuff now because I'm sure you've been listening to mating and courtship sounds.
In retrospect I think I would do that platform differently.

question to knowledge

I have been educated through bird books that GHO's do not take a permanent residence rather they roost and brred and then move on!!!

What are your thoughts?

Hi Steelfilight, such magnificent birds are the GHOs. The night is not the same without those wonderful hooots. Let me attempt to answer your questions...

1. Adult GHOs are permanent resident year-round, however, birds living in the northern part of the species' range (alaska/can) may migrate south. The reasons you may not of seen/heard the GHOs (in the same spot), may be due to the fact they hold large territories -- need to be large to provide an adequate hunting area. Certain GHOs roost regularly in the same place throughout the year, but since they are not always found in their usual 'hideouts' it is questionable if the territorial instinct is operative during a period of several months following the nesting season.In addition to patrolling the nest territory against all invaders the owls apparently restrict their hunting to this same area. Incidentally, young GHOs may not breed for a year or two, and are often vagrants ("floaters") until they establish their own territories.

The hooting doesn't stop after they've found a mate, just less frequent. Typically, adult GHOs tend to be more vocal during the breeding season and beyond - a little more frequently at dawn than at dusk.

2. Owls in particular are responsive to playback, being curious birds and with very acute hearing. I have found GHOs less responsive to playback than other owl species. Having said that, they do and will respond. If you’re playing tapes or doing your own imitations (which i've mastered), start with a continuous series of calls for several minutes; then be silent for a few minutes. If necessary, repeat the calls. Although many owls will respond within the first few minutes, others will wait until you’ve just about given up. Remember, however, not to overdo the tape playing and once you get a response, quit.

Noteworthy: playback can give owls the wrong impression. They might think that it's signaling that there is an opportunity to mate, or that another owl is invading their territory. Also, it has been shown that silent listening in certain times of the year is almost as productive as using playback techniques.

3. GHOs live in a tremendous variety of habitats, but are likely to be most easily found in medium to extensive stands of upland forest with fields and edges nearby for hunting -- farming country, long winding roads, you get the picture?. I wouldn't necessary scratch the park off - they will be back, given time. However, I would search along the aforementioned areas also.

What time of night is best? Before dawn and at dusk are likely to be the optimal times to search. My most successful owling came between 3 a.m. and dawn on a moonlit night, when owls tend to be more vocal, and noisy traffic is at a minimum Dusk is an excellent time to go looking too. At dusk, many owls will come to forest edges to begin hunting. For listening purposes, still, calm, moonlit nights are best, but cloudy or foggy conditions can work too. Windy or rainy nights are rarely productive. Keep an eye out for power lines, telephone poles, bare tree branches, "headless lumps" and fence posts. If luck is with you, that unmistakable silhouette will rise up before you.

Lastly, GHOs are very territorial birds, they will often rid competition for food, that includes barn owls or any other owl species for that matter. Happy Owling!

I've had a pair of resident GHOs ever since I moved to this house 14 years ago. I was surprised at how active they are in the afternoon, often hearing/seeing them while it is still daylight. I've had one fly right by me on my deck while grilling steaks, unless you turn and see them you would not know they flew by. I also have a resident pair of Redtail Hawks, they and the GHOs seem to co-exist peacefully, it is very heavily wooded around my house and I'm about 200 feet from the waterline of a lake built up behind a beaver dam, resident Canadian Geese and Mallard Ducks. My photography attempts with the GHOs have not been very good, I think due in part to the often poor lighting conditions when they make themselves visible.
Clyde

Many years ago, iused to use a predator call for hunting foxes, bobcats and coyotes. Found that Great Horned Owls respnded better than anything, especially in late afternoon.
Such calls cost about $10.00. Obvoiously, you need to be well hidden if you hope to have them come close enough for easy observation or photo's. Low light does not provide cover. They are magnificent birds.

The calls mimick a rabbit or other rodent in distress.

Rip

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back