• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Saw this today at a friend's house (ok, I admit it was just over the border in Suffolk but hope you don't mind!). Having looked on-line I think I've narrowed it down to a Swift sp, probably Orange Swift, can someone confirm or correct please...?

Chris

Attachments

• 20130829_141246 (1).jpg
    20130829_141246 (1).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 71
A little belated, but still plenty of action down at Whitlingham last Weds on one of the hot days. Mostly whites and Tortoiseshells, plus a few Commas, Peacocks, Speckled Woods and a lone Brimstone.

Speckled Woods evident most days of the week and one in Norwich city centre today. Also saw two skippers on the wing in the centre last week (in separate locations) but not identifiable.

Sheringham park yesterday produced a White Admiral, a purple hairstreak on the deck, and a couple of small coppers.
From appearance I'm assuming the WA was a late first brood and not an early second.

Covolvulus Hawk-moth

Just a photo of the Convolvulus Hawk at Cley yesterday. Alan Jackson was very helpful. Many thanks for taking the time to show people.

Interested in putting forward a paper in favour of a name change for this species. Roger Smith's Hawk-moth, or Alien's head Hawk-moth. As you can see from the photo below and the image mirrored in the moth's back.

BTvb90mCcAABoY5.jpg large.jpg

Sightings in Bungay

5 small torts in Trinity street, around the co-op superstore on Hillside road east buddleias in good bloom few large and small whites, 50+ small torts, 1 peacock and 2 painted ladies.

Other things about but no recollection of where I was driving at time was 3 or 4 speckled woods plus some smaller brown jobs, possible gatekeepers but not sure at 50 mph.

An immaculate and eye-catchingly colourful Small Copper was in a Hempnall garden today. Was surprised and pleased to see such a splendid example of the species by this time of year.

At last there seems to be an increase in the number of Red Admirals around, with about half-a-dozen splendid examples at Strumpshaw on Sunday. There were also double figure numbers of very bright Commas, a couple of Speckled Woods and a few very smart Tortoiseshells.

Ron

Attachments

• Red Admiral Buddleia 1 small.jpg
    Red Admiral Buddleia 1 small.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Red Admiral Buddleia 2 small.jpg
    Red Admiral Buddleia 2 small.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 62
A good nights moth trapping at Strumpshaw last night saw 29 species, including 3 Dark Sward Grass and 2 Four Spotted Footman (a new Nofolk sp for me) and 4 Merveille du jour (excuse my french). I also had the final moth below which I'm not sure about, its probably obvious but I'm a little rusty on autumn moths any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• 4dfm.jpg
    4dfm.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 57
  • dsg.jpg
    dsg.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 51
  • merv.jpg
    merv.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 65
  • mystery.jpg