Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wedge-tailed Eagles poisoned

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 08:52   #1
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,764
Wedge-tailed Eagles poisoned

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45504906
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 10:11   #2
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 4,972
Angry

F--- !

This just makes me sick ..... grrrr !!

There isn't a punishment strong enough for this b*st*rd !!!

I shall be sending off my disgust to the relevant Ministers, and local members.

I can't believe I'm of the same species as this complete and utter backwards piece of sh*t ........ .




Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Thursday 13th September 2018 at 11:38. Reason: spellun n dat
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 11:37   #3
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 4,972
Thumbs down

It's an absolute DISGRACE that the "maximum" penalty the perpetrator will face is "up to" six months imprisonment and just a tiny bit over a hundred grand in fines. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-0...32?pfmredir=sm

Life imprisonment for mass murder like this would be too light a sentence ......




Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 12:18   #4
Paul Longland
Registered User
 
Paul Longland's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: leicester
Posts: 476
different continent same ill informed and Neanderthal farmers/gamekeepers who no doubt whilst spouting BS about being the custodians of the countryside continue to rape and pillage the natural order of things for monetary gain.

I have posted often on here about raptor persecution and most will have no doubt about my views on this topic. Personally I think in this case we should employ the eye for an eye approach. Make the B****** eat his own poison...... Not enough of course to kill him but just enough with each meal to ensure that he suffered agonising stomach cramps, a massive dose of the s*its and any other of the horrendous side effects that he inflicted upon these magnificent creatures before they died, for the rest of his natural days.

While I think on it perhaps we should apply the same principle to gamekeepers who shoot raptors. For each one that they kill with their rifles we should shoot off a finger, toe or other appendage.

Fines just don't cut the mustard and jail is too good for them.
Paul Longland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 12:47   #5
Sangahyando
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kiel
Posts: 1,743
Do Wedgies even have a negative impact on local land use? I would've thought that their effect on introduced "pests" such as rabbits, cats, and foxes should outweigh potential losses to sheep herds or chicken coops.
Sangahyando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th September 2018, 16:17   #6
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 16,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
It's an absolute DISGRACE that the "maximum" penalty the perpetrator will face is "up to" six months imprisonment and just a tiny bit over a hundred grand in fines. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-0...32?pfmredir=sm

Life imprisonment for mass murder like this would be too light a sentence ......




Chosun

Actually, those are excellent punishments.



In Britain, killing a Golden Eagle or 2 (or 20) would earn you around a 200 fine, suspended, and no jail time at all. Or more realistically, a commendation from the local magistrate for 'actions benefitting the local grouse shoot that gives me a free day's shooting every year'
Nutcracker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 16th September 2018, 03:17   #7
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 4,972
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Actually, those are excellent punishments.



In Britain, killing a Golden Eagle or 2 (or 20) would earn you around a 200 fine, suspended, and no jail time at all. Or more realistically, a commendation from the local magistrate for 'actions benefitting the local grouse shoot that gives me a free day's shooting every year'
AAARRRRRGGGGGGHH !!!!!!!

These are all totally inadequate penalties for killing and persecuting an essential and magnificent natural Apex Predator. Six months of these murderers tied to a bull ant's nest would not be enough ..... but more severe penalties than those current are required to both punish and deter future persecution.

Strong JAIL sentences are required, and the small additional fine for further birds harmed after the first one are a joke - if anything they should rise to a greater level than the initial offense.

People of the world ....... ORGANIZE !

You CAN Change this.

Write to your Local, State, and Federal Politicians.
Write to the Members for the Electorate where you live, the Electorate where killings/persecution take place, the Electorate that contains National Parks etc, the Electorate where agricultural, grazing, land development, or tourism activities take place. Write to the Ministers responsible for the Environment, and Wildlife Protection. Write to the Ministers responsible for Primary Production, for Regions, for Tourism.

Write to the Members of marginal Electorates (where the balance of power is held by a very small percentage), write to the Electorates held by Independent Members, write to the "Green" or "Conservation" focused Party's. Write to the Head of Government, and the Head of the Opposition.

Write to both the Legislative House Members, and the Senate House (or however the checks and balances Political System in your Country works).

Write to International Watchdogs (WWF, etc). Work with your country's Bird and Conservation Societies, and Chambers of Commerce (don't underestimate the positive commercial interests of Tourism), etc. Write to your local, state, and national newspapers (a quaint old fashioned notion! :), post a blog, start a social media campaign, etc.

Make submissions to Government Inquiries, Senate Submissions, etc. Make submissions to Environmental Impact Statements for proper Developments, or Industry Reviews, etc ......

Make your submissions /letters concise, factual, and cogniscent of the wider implications (path to extinction), and benefits (inherent conservation value to children and future generations, tourism value, economic service to society - in Australia, Wedge-tailed Eagles predate in the order of up to ~10% of Feral Cats and Feral Foxes each, along with Feral Piglets, and possibly Feral Goat Kids, depending on region, etc).

Express your outrage logically and find those hot buttons and trigger points that will tie your politician's ongoing future employment to the protection and survival of Raptors and their natural Environments. I imagine some people will even let their emotions run wild, and that's ok too ......

Your country's bird and conservation organizations should be at the forefront of pushing for greater protections, and publicizing the magnificence and value of these beautiful, and necessary raptors. These last bastions of the natural world.

We've already lost such other worldly wonders such as Haast's Eagle ..... must we lose more?

The Power and Voice of the individual counts.

Imagine if every member of BirdForum took these Actions I've briefly outlined above, and no doubt some other more effective ones that I haven't thought of .....

Imagine if your friends, family, colleagues, and community's were also inspired to take such action ...... can you imagine the beautiful world we could create ...... :)

Get writing! YOUR VOICE WILL COUNT




Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th September 2018, 12:02   #8
Paul Longland
Registered User
 
Paul Longland's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: leicester
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
AAARRRRRGGGGGGHH !!!!!!!

These are all totally inadequate penalties for killing and persecuting an essential and magnificent natural Apex Predator. Six months of these murderers tied to a bull ant's nest would not be enough ..... but more severe penalties than those current are required to both punish and deter future persecution.

Strong JAIL sentences are required, and the small additional fine for further birds harmed after the first one are a joke - if anything they should rise to a greater level than the initial offense.

People of the world ....... ORGANIZE !

You CAN Change this.

Write to your Local, State, and Federal Politicians.
Write to the Members for the Electorate where you live, the Electorate where killings/persecution take place, the Electorate that contains National Parks etc, the Electorate where agricultural, grazing, land development, or tourism activities take place. Write to the Ministers responsible for the Environment, and Wildlife Protection. Write to the Ministers responsible for Primary Production, for Regions, for Tourism.

Write to the Members of marginal Electorates (where the balance of power is held by a very small percentage), write to the Electorates held by Independent Members, write to the "Green" or "Conservation" focused Party's. Write to the Head of Government, and the Head of the Opposition.

Write to both the Legislative House Members, and the Senate House (or however the checks and balances Political System in your Country works).

Write to International Watchdogs (WWF, etc). Work with your country's Bird and Conservation Societies, and Chambers of Commerce (don't underestimate the positive commercial interests of Tourism), etc. Write to your local, state, and national newspapers (a quaint old fashioned notion! :), post a blog, start a social media campaign, etc.

Make submissions to Government Inquiries, Senate Submissions, etc. Make submissions to Environmental Impact Statements for proper Developments, or Industry Reviews, etc ......

Make your submissions /letters concise, factual, and cogniscent of the wider implications (path to extinction), and benefits (inherent conservation value to children and future generations, tourism value, economic service to society - in Australia, Wedge-tailed Eagles predate in the order of up to ~10% of Feral Cats and Feral Foxes each, along with Feral Piglets, and possibly Feral Goat Kids, depending on region, etc).

Express your outrage logically and find those hot buttons and trigger points that will tie your politician's ongoing future employment to the protection and survival of Raptors and their natural Environments. I imagine some people will even let their emotions run wild, and that's ok too ......

Your country's bird and conservation organizations should be at the forefront of pushing for greater protections, and publicizing the magnificence and value of these beautiful, and necessary raptors. These last bastions of the natural world.

We've already lost such other worldly wonders such as Haast's Eagle ..... must we lose more?

The Power and Voice of the individual counts.

Imagine if every member of BirdForum took these Actions I've briefly outlined above, and no doubt some other more effective ones that I haven't thought of .....

Imagine if your friends, family, colleagues, and community's were also inspired to take such action ...... can you imagine the beautiful world we could create ...... :)

Get writing! YOUR VOICE WILL COUNT




Chosun
All of the above been done. Have a look at what Mark Avery is doing in the UK in respect of hen Harrier persecution. I admire what he is doing but the net result? Nada, no change. There is far too much vested interest in the Grouse shooting lobby who all seem to have mates in high places for any meaningful change or successful prosecutions
Paul Longland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th September 2018, 22:44   #9
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 16,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
All of the above been done. Have a look at what Mark Avery is doing in the UK in respect of hen Harrier persecution. I admire what he is doing but the net result? Nada, no change. There is far too much vested interest in the Grouse shooting lobby who all seem to have mates in high places for any meaningful change or successful prosecutions
Agreed, including the currect environment minister Michael Gove. Highly likely that after brexit (when EU bird protection directives will no longer apply in Britain), all raptors will be removed from the protected list, and 19th-century style bounties reintroduced
Nutcracker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 24th September 2018, 17:11   #10
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 4,972
Angry Very Hard Not to Vomit ....... :(

like being slapped with a wet lettuce ......
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-0...26?pfmredir=sm

14 days jail and $2500 fine for killing 406 Wedge-tailed Eagles






Chosun
Chosun Juan is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th September 2018, 17:36   #11
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 11,738
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
like being slapped with a wet lettuce ......
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-0...26?pfmredir=sm

14 days jail and $2500 fine for killing 406 Wedge-tailed Eagles
Well ... it is a start - if as the article says it is the first time a custodial sentence has been imposed in Victoria for widlife destruction. And he brought it to the attention of the authorities himself (for whatever reason) Admittedly that is a LOT of wildlife destruction.

What should happen next though is that his employer should also get a prison term and a fine ... a longer term and a bigger fine ....
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Video: Wedge-tailed Eagles (Aquila audax) (added by m_butterfly) BirdForum TV BirdForum TV Discussion 0 Saturday 12th December 2015 16:15
Wedge-tailed Sabrewing Peter Kovalik Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 2 Wednesday 1st October 2014 23:42
Wedge Tail Eagles ayashko Australia 5 Monday 26th December 2011 09:39
2 White-Tailed Eagles Poisoned in Kerry. Sancho Live Bird News from around the World 10 Friday 22nd February 2008 10:42
Wedge-tailed shearwater Julian Bell Your Birding Day 7 Sunday 18th December 2005 05:37



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.20103312 seconds with 22 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:41.