• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

Very nice birds to have in your garden Jos. Had a Common Redstart once on migration in my garden but the others are on my 'dream' garden list.
You're on a roll H.........you'll probably beat last years total before the end of the month!
Nightingale singing between 2 and 3 AM. :king:

Yes, he gets some crackers doesn't he!

Yes, should get Swift &/or Hobby very soon.

No Hobbies yet on patch btw - though 2 Peregrines today over the garden - see 'My Birding Day'.

With a hat-trick of flyby 'imports' before 9am (RNParakeet, Can.Goose, and Mandarin Duck), I was thinking perhaps it might be an omen for another garden tick. A steady stream of 2nds and 3rds for the year followed....Starling(3rd), Kestrel(2nd),Swallow(2nd) then a 3rd in 28 years..a flyover Pied Wagtail!...hoping this (59) will be the precursor for the next few weeks. ;)

It appears that the gods were listening!...Hobby at 12.05pm, an expected tick albeit an early one, now into the 60's! ;)

Vilnius garden still doing well - Wryneck continues to sing in the pines at the bottom of the garden and two active Grey-headed Woodpeckers yodelling to each other this morning - a new bird for this garden, species number 110 (first species since August 2009).

Last edited:
I'm very envious!!

I'm sure there's plenty for me to be envious in your garden too, especially during the winter months :t:

My Labanoras plot today, glorious sunshine, warm too. Was sitting on my veranda overlooking the feeders, distinctively quiet today, a few woodpeckers and that was about it. But all around, Pied Flycatchers now buzzing nestboxes, overhead a Black Stork drifted over, White Storks too. Then, off yonder in the thickets, my eye caught something large flicking - I presumed some bird flapping, but stone me, no it wasn't ...it was a twitching ear!!! A big Elk no less was standing there peering through the vegetation at me! I see their tracks almost daily, but this was a veranda first!!!

And a little while later, another treat for the veranda, a noisy pair of Wrynecks appeared on the scene - the first at Labanoras this season. Tried their luck in one nestbox, soon sent scurrying by the Pied Flycatcher who had already bagged it, so then moved to a box just to the left of my cabin. This left the resident Great Tits mighty peeved, they had already taken this box! The Wrynecks didn't seem too concerned at their distress, returning to the box throughout my lazy hour or so on the veranda.

Took a wander through the forest, the water levels about 60 cm lower this year, probably the Beavers none too happy by this, but I am - maybe some of my trees may stay alive! A little way round, the Cranes were most noisy in one swampy area, it would seem they are on a nest just now, nice. Backtracked to give them peace.

More new birds for the year in the meadows behind, a pair of Grey Partridge, a male Montagu's Harrier passing over and the first Tree Pipits and Willow Warblers in song and display, a most pleasant day.

68. Black Stork.
69. Grey Partridge.
70. Montagu's Harrier.
71. Wryneck.
72. Tree Pipit.
73. Willow Warbler.

Back in Vilnius, my first Cuckoo of the year this evening, singing from the pines beyond my garden.

Last edited:
reading the birds people have sighted in their garden on here has made my jaw drop!
Nightingales, cuckoos, both of which I've never heard or seen. I know I know, I haven't lived have I? But they just aren't around urban areas anymore are they.

Joss Hi,
Am thinking about a trip to one of the Baltic states for two or three days before June this year, probably a city centre break. What 'speciality' species might I expect in the city parks that I wouldn't find generally in the UK.

Cheers

reading the birds people have sighted in their garden on here has made my jaw drop!
Nightingales, cuckoos, both of which I've never heard or seen. I know I know, I haven't lived have I? But they just aren't around urban areas anymore are they.

Welcome to the Garden Listing thread Nature_Lover! Have you got a garden list? It soon escalates; I know I spend more and more time with the bins to the sky from the house and garden. Count everything seen and heard, it doesn't have to actually be in the garden.

Nothing new for me for a few days.......the north wind doth blow.

Joss Hi,
Am thinking about a trip to one of the Baltic states for two or three days before June this year, probably a city centre break. What 'speciality' species might I expect in the city parks that I wouldn't find generally in the UK.

Cheers

Speaking for Vilnius, then Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Icterine Warbler are easy enough in the city, along with Wheatears and Black Redstarts on the rooftops, Pied Flycatchers in the city centre too. A little effort to get just beyond the city limits (easy) will get you Golden Orioles, Red-backed Shrikes, Common Rosefinches, etc etc.

A bit of persuasion might even get me to take you for full glories of the Baltics beyond the city.

Joss Hi,

Thanks for the info. Once I've sorted out my available short window dates, and stretched my plastic, I might well take a much long awaited 'dip' into the Baltics?

Cheers :t:

Jos Hi,

Forgot to take advantage of your garden Wrynecks! Thirty odd years ago during late October, I was driving (windows down) a very hot day, along a minor track adjacent to a golfing complex on Majorca, when I heard a rapid "quee-quee-quee" call. I promptly hit the brake, then looking 3-4metres up at a dead branch (for the Hobby?) and found myself staring at the back of a Wryneck with it's head turned perhaps c200 degrees whilst calling! The only time I've ever heard and witnessed the neck movement!...how I envy your garden visitors.

.......:t:

Hi everyone! here's my little suburban garden list..
Blackbird
Starling
Carrion crow
collared dove
wood pigeon
blue tit
great tit
long tailed tit
coal tit
robin
chiffchaff
goldcrest
goldfinch
greenfinch
chaffinch
lesser redpoll
house sparrow
dunnock
song thrush
wren
magpie
sparrowhawk

Welcome to the Garden Listing thread Nature_Lover! Have you got a garden list? It soon escalates; I know I spend more and more time with the bins to the sky from the house and garden. Count everything seen and heard, it doesn't have to actually be in the garden.

Nothing new for me for a few days.......the north wind doth blow.

Hi!
I've put a list of everything I've seen, because I'm not confident enough with bird songs to be certain of species I've heard.

I'm hoping for some new birds this summer..

69) Willow Warbler this morning.

My Wryneck story: Last autumn I went to watch the raptor Migration at Tarifa on the southenmost tip of Spain. We were staying in a tiny rural Casita and on the first morning I found a Wryneck in the field in front of the house and I watched it while eating my breakfast! It, very cooperatively, stayed for a few hours. Not my own garden but it was on that houses garden list, only a few miles from Africa.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back