• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2011 (1 Viewer)

And I will third it!

Merry Christmas to all mammal-watchers. Only Grey Squirrel today so far, though there were reindeer hoofprints on the lawn.....

John

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

A few photos from CHristmas Eve

Mark

Attachments

• cwd5.jpg
    cwd5.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 41
  • mj1.jpg
    mj1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 33
  • gs.jpg
    gs.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 40
  • fd1.jpg
    fd1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 46
Does anybody know if there are any Sika's in Suffolk? Had a couple of dark doe's on a walk on one of the commons and the rump pattern fitted Sika much better than Fallow. Tonnes of Reeve's Muntjacs as well in the 4 days I was there. My wife saw a Mole (from the car) moving across its molehill on xmas day. Especially for you Mike.

The British Deer Society has a map dated 2007 which shows a slight increase around the fringes of East Anglia. However there is one record in East Norfolk.

It is not impossible that similar travels from the cluster in the border of Essex would result in Suffolk records.

Next time you see a mole, grab it!!!

John

For anyone interested a harvest mouse is coming to feed under the feeder to the right of the Fen hide at Sculthorpe moor, Norfolk (£3 charge for entrance). It comes out from under two logs to the left of the bird table. I discovered it by chance yesterday some photos taken at dusk attached hence the poor quality (well thats my excuse anyway).
This is a good chance to see one that has not come out of a longworth trap.

Stoats are also being seen very regularly from the scrape hide

If you need any more info contact me.

Mark

Attachments

• hm9.jpg
    hm9.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 60
  • hm8.jpg
    hm8.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 46
Mark and I confirmed yesterday that the Harvest Mouse at Sculthorpe Moor's Fen Hide is consistent (though a long stakeout may be necessary). It is therefore twitchable and worth the trip. We had a range of passerines photographable around the feeders including both Marsh and Willow Tits (though the Willows proved too fast for my reflexes) and a bunch of Bullfinches. There were also three Bank Voles coming in and out. Down by the scrape hide we had two Barn Owls.

Pix later.

John

Pix from yesterday:

Bank Vole
Harvest Mouse
Harvest Mouse
Marsh Tit

John

Attachments

• 2011_12_30_Bank_Vole (640x427).jpg
    2011_12_30_Bank_Vole (640x427).jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2011_12_30_Harvest_Mouse1 (640x427).jpg
    2011_12_30_Harvest_Mouse1 (640x427).jpg
    230 KB · Views: 39
  • 2011_12_30_Harvest_Mouse2 (640x427).jpg
    2011_12_30_Harvest_Mouse2 (640x427).jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 2011_12_30_Marsh_Tit (640x427).jpg
    2011_12_30_Marsh_Tit (640x427).jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 31
James,

based on an unscientific sample (n=2) afternoon is best, but who knows.

It was seen in the afternon, yesterday and on Wednesday. Yesterday we we there from 10.45 ish and did not see it until 13:20 ish, but we had plenty of bank voles in the meantime.

Mark

Can I wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Mark

For those interested I did particularly well with the number of mammals seen this year, some more details on my blog tomorrow but it was more than last year.

James,

based on an unscientific sample (n=2) afternoon is best, but who knows.

It was seen in the afternon, yesterday and on Wednesday. Yesterday we we there from 10.45 ish and did not see it until 13:20 ish, but we had plenty of bank voles in the meantime.

Mark

Thanks Mark. May go next weekend and will report back.

Happy new year John, Mark and all!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back