• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

people were claiming a Red backed Shrike from Bishop 1 whilst I was there but it was a juv Woodchat shrike. pic attached.

Hi Craig and Dubb!

During the same dates we saw a juvenile of woodchat shrike in the same place, too.
This one looks browner than woodchat but there are some characteristics which are not clear in the photo. The mask doesn´t look as marked as in red-backed.
And it's interesting to see better the back, mantle and scapulars.
Be aware, here we have the subspecies badius which doesn't has white at the basis of primaries for example (or it just has a small spot).

I hope it has been useful!

Cristina.

Last edited:
Birding in Parc de Llevant

Hi!
Yesterday we did a trip to the east of Mallorca (Parc de Llevant, Artà)
Actually it was not a birding trip but we saw some raptors near Talaia Moreia: one black vulture, 2 booted eagles, one Montagu's Harrier, a Kestrel and 21 Red Kites!
Also a few balearic warblers, wheatears, redstarts, pied flycatcher, blue rock thrush and ravens.

Last edited:
Hi Craig and Dubb!

During the same dates we saw a juvenile of woodchat shrike in the same place, too.
This one looks browner than woodchat but there are some characteristics which are not clear in the photo. The mask doesn´t look as marked as in red-backed.
And it's interesting to see better the back, mantle and scapulars.
Be aware, here we have the subspecies badius which doesn't has white at the basis of primaries for example (or it just has a small spot).

I hope it has been useful!

Cristina.

I´m still hearing people debating the identity of this bird, which had been present for several days.

Very quiet at s´Albufera yesterday. The only thing of note was that I heard a Curlew while I was emptying the moth trap.

Had a brief visit to s´Albuferetta and was surprised to see the main lagoon almost devoid of water, just a pool surrounding the island. As a result, not much there, although there was a Wheatear on the dry mud.

Off into the mountains for 2 days staying in Binifaldó, so no doubt something interesting will turn up at s´Albufera!

I hope to see some raptors while I´m there - something that´s been particularly absent at s´Albufera (although others have seen a few things).

Martin

I´m still hearing people debating the identity of this bird, which had been present for several days.

Very quiet at s´Albufera yesterday. The only thing of note was that I heard a Curlew while I was emptying the moth trap.

Had a brief visit to s´Albuferetta and was surprised to see the main lagoon almost devoid of water, just a pool surrounding the island. As a result, not much there, although there was a Wheatear on the dry mud.

Off into the mountains for 2 days staying in Binifaldó, so no doubt something interesting will turn up at s´Albufera!

I hope to see some raptors while I´m there - something that´s been particularly absent at s´Albufera (although others have seen a few things).

Martin

Please keep us Informed Martin ? :t:

cant be much to debate really surely another pic attached with a wing panel like that it can only be Woodchat or are we discussing something else?

Martin

Attachments

• Woodchat shrike.jpg
    Woodchat shrike.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Woodchat shrike1.jpg
    Woodchat shrike1.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I am not sure Craig, as I said some young Woodchats are very brown like your photo shows, but other features, notably the wing panel, quickly sort it out. As I understand it there was another bird but no photos sadly. Red-backed shrikes are very rare but they do turn up now and again. Mike

cheers Mike.

I am not sure Craig, as I said some young Woodchats are very brown like your photo shows, but other features, notably the wing panel, quickly sort it out. As I understand it there was another bird but no photos sadly. Red-backed shrikes are very rare but they do turn up now and again. Mike

Help

Hi,
this morning we have been birding in Formentor and I have lost my guidebook!
It's the second edition of birds of Europe in English (Lars Svensson).
I'm quite sure I have left it close to the road, one or two curves before the lighthouse.
If somebody find it please send me an email.

Thanks a lot!

Oh, we have seen an amazing scene of two Eleonora's trying to catch a Wheatear. It has escaped. And two groups of dolphins were in the area surrounded by Cory's Shearwater.

cristina.

Hello all,

I'm out next month, having been before in early and late spring, this will be my first autumn visit ...

So some questions ...

Puerto Pollenca beach was great for close-up Audouin's is there any other sites which offer the same or similar ?

Are there any main fishing ports/harbours ?

Is there a open rubbish tip on Majorca ?

Hopefully the Slender-billed and some friends will stay around ...

Regards

Mick ..

Hi Mick. Audouin's are not difficult, they are seen all around the coast, especially here in the south, you can just about hand feed them bread on Es Trenc beach. Cala Figuera is good also but you will see lots in the north anyway. Es Trenc is at the end of the road going past the salt pans at Salobrar de Campos if you are planning a trip there. There is a municipal dump at Son Reus which is good for gulls, kites and vultures. I can give directions if you need them but it is well worth a visit. There are many fishing ports around the Island, Porto Colom is a great place and by the lighthouse is good for seawatching and Balearic warbler, Blue rock thrush and Pallid swift in season. I hope there will be a Slender-bill still around but many surprises have already been found this year, a first for the Balearics and other great birds so you never know, you may just find the next rarity! Let me know if I can help more. Mike

hi mike,
am I right in thinking you have to pay to get to the Es trench beech?.
could you send me the directions to the dump.
thanks,
Steve.

wouldn't mind directions to dump/tip either please that will be top of my list next time I go.

Hi Mick. Audouin's are not difficult, they are seen all around the coast, especially here in the south, you can just about hand feed them bread on Es Trenc beach. Cala Figuera is good also but you will see lots in the north anyway. Es Trenc is at the end of the road going past the salt pans at Salobrar de Campos if you are planning a trip there. There is a municipal dump at Son Reus which is good for gulls, kites and vultures. I can give directions if you need them but it is well worth a visit. There are many fishing ports around the Island, Porto Colom is a great place and by the lighthouse is good for seawatching and Balearic warbler, Blue rock thrush and Pallid swift in season. I hope there will be a Slender-bill still around but many surprises have already been found this year, a first for the Balearics and other great birds so you never know, you may just find the next rarity! Let me know if I can help more. Mike

Hello Mike,

I've tried the sat view on google maps and believe i've found the dump location but your directions/map would be fantastic ..

Mick ..

Hi I´ll reiterate what Mike says about Audouin´s - pretty much any popular beach will have some. The attached was taken just with a Nikon Coolpix 4500 on a stretch of beach near the entrance to s´Albufera. Late afternoon seems best - just as some people are heading back to hotels etc for their eening meal.

Martin

Attachments

• DSCN4510.jpg
    DSCN4510.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 72
Son Reus. I have not been there for a while but I believe it is off the main MA11 from Palma to Soller. There is a turn to the right marked "Son Reus" I think but a google search should give directions. It is worth a visit although the dump has been cleaned up a lot since I last went. There are always many kites, mostly Red but occasional Black, Booted eagles, Black vultures and good numbers of gulls.
There is a charge of 6euros to get into the car park at Salobrar de Campos but it is possible to park for a short time on the approach road although I never leave my car out of sight there as they have sometimes towed them away. The only reason to go to the beach is to get close views of Audouins gulls but as Martin's photo shows a close approach is possible just about on any beach.
Sorry, but I have been unable to get further copies of the Annual Report 2012 so I can't forward them to people who asked. I will keep trying but it should be online soon. mike

ps. As Martin says, the Audouin's gulls are best seen when everybody is leaving the beach late afternoon, they come to scavenge left-overs.

ps. As Martin says, the Audouin's gulls are best seen when everybody is leaving the beach late afternoon, they come to scavenge left-overs.

Better going,when everyone leaves the beach.Walking around with a pair of bins In such area's,gets some strange looks..! :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back