• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2013 List Going? (7 Viewers)

After a very long search at Crossens, near Southport, we finally found the Baikal Teal this afternoon, which was also a Lifer for me.

336. Baikal Teal

John

207. Grey Wagtail

Escaped from Christmas shopping in Shrewsbury to walk along the Severn. Can't believe it's taken this long but I suppose it is a rare bird in Sweden.

This morning a Trumpeter Swan was found at a nearby lake. I drove to where it was found and ran into some other birders who told me it flew off about a half hour before I got there. Fortunately it was refound at another location on the lake and I was able to get good views.

342. Trumpeter Swan

This was only the third or fourth ever seen in the state and it was therefore a state lifer (number 216), and my 200th West Virginia species for the year.

Dave

A good twitch today at Patrington Haven, near Spurn for the Ivory Gull resulted in a few photos as well.

335. Ivory Gull

John

Attachments

• Ivory Gull 6885.jpg
    Ivory Gull 6885.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Ivory Gull 6895.jpg
    Ivory Gull 6895.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Ivory Gull 7042.jpg
    Ivory Gull 7042.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Ivory Gull 6903.jpg
    Ivory Gull 6903.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Ivory Gull 6998.jpg
    Ivory Gull 6998.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Today on a local Christmas Bird Count, my teammate and I found a very rare bird for the state, which was also a new bird for the year.

343. Red-necked Grebe

Dave

I thought that I had posted my sighting of a Snowy Owl on this thread, but I can not find it! Must have been another "senior moment"!

226. Snowy Owl, seen up north of Chillicothe, Missouri on December 18, 2013 with birding friend, Steve Kinder.

You're not the only one with some glaring omissions....mine include such corkers as Puffin, Redstart, Whitethroat, Short-eared & Little Owl, Crossbill, Spoonbill, Nuthatch, Jay, Red Grouse, Golden & Grey Plover, Stock Dove, Barnacle Goose & Black-tailed Godwit!!! :smoke: In my defence it's been a horribly tight year with finances virtually non-existent so half the time I couldn't get out as we needed the few dregs of fuel to get Neil to work and for a lot of the summer I didn't have any binoculars as I had to sell mine on ebay to get some cash to buy food! :-C Finally managed to get a job which is great in that it's part-time so allows lots of time to go birding but not-so-great in that money is still fairly tight :smoke: By scrimping all summer and putting a few pennies away I've FINALLY managed to get a cheap pair of Opticrons so am now working on making 150 before year's end. Just 16 to go :t:

As to your list.....Brent Goose are at Holy Island...a Great Northern Diver was in Seahouses harbour on Sunday...there's been a Black Redstart hanging around the warden's hut at the Long Nanny for a few weeks now (still there on Sunday morning according to two birders I spoke to at Stag Rocks on Sunday afternoon)...Merlin are often around the causeway at Holy Island....Crossbill: there were some reported at Cragside last week but I'm sure they're also pretty common around Thrunton Woods and Kielder.

Today brought another two to my year total

133: Goosander
134: Black-necked Grebe

Thanks Gill....only just come back to this thread and wish I'd read your reply earlier! It's hard keeping the momentum going, isn't it, when other things get in the way (finances, work, etc.)? I do most of my birding by bike so don't get up to Holy Island or the Beadnall area very much so looks like I need to work on my fitness levels and make more effort to head further north!! I might try and fit a drive up to Bamburgh over Xmas for a visit to Stag rocks, and a ride up to Lindisfarne.

Anyway, I ticked off Greenland Whitefront last week at Woodhorn, so that finally got me past last year's total :)

Have been out to all the pine plantations I can get to nearby in the hope of crossbills, but so far no luck. It's probably the most significant missing species, although seeing no puffins this year is also quite embarrassing!

Late entry: I was officially mammal listing this year and look likely now to finish on 61 (where I am now). I have photos of 49 of those, and very little chance of nailing any more before the turn of the year.

Birdwise I'm only on 230 for the year, but I've photographed 199 of those, so I'm fairly content. I have to admit the quality of those photos varies but there are quite a lot of nice ones!

Onward now to 2014!

John

I have managed to get my year list up to a nice round number of 130 species seen with to new lifers.

129 Bar-tailed Godwit on the 26th December

130 Sanderlings

Along with more Bar-tailed Godwits,Turnstones and Redshank
Bar-tailed Godwit 1-1 (800x533).jpg

Sandling1-2-1 (800x533).jpg

Sandling1-1 (800x533).jpg

Turnstone1-3-1 (800x533).jpg
The photos do not do justices to the Sanderlings wonderful little birds dashing here and there along the shore line.

336. Brunnich's Guillemot at Portland Harbour yesterday.

John

Attachments

• Brunnich's Guillemot 7161.jpg
    Brunnich's Guillemot 7161.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 38
A few more today in North Wales and Cheshire including a nice lifer:

208. Sanderling
209. Red-throated Diver
210. Buff-bellied Pipit

Last hurrah of the year with a blitz of the south coast, netting me two lifers and a sprinkling of year ticks.

211. Great Northern Diver
212. Brünnich’s Guillemot
213. Razorbill
214. Cetti's Warbler
215. Glossy Ibis
216. Yellow-billed Diver
217. Cirl Bunting
218. Slavonian Grebe

Finished the year on 218 British ticks. Last 2 ticks were Parrot Crossbill (Edgefield) and Velvet Scoter (Titchwell). Both also lifers! Had a wonderful year. Never seen so many birds. Always set a target of 200 so anything over that is amazing!

Today I made the long drive to the Ohio River Valley in the western part of West Virginia to chase a pair of Mute Swans that were reported in a Wildlife Management Area yesterday. I found my target fairly easily.

Mute Swan was not a tick for my ABA Area year list, as I had seen some in Massachusetts last month. However, it was a tick for my West Virginia year list (number 202), as well as a state lifer (number 217). This was my 20th state lifer for the year. On the first day of the year, I got two state lifers, and got a state lifer today, the last day of the year. Not a bad way to start and end the year.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back