Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wasp behaviour and ID

Old Friday 19th July 2019, 21:13   #1
thomasclark1985

Wasp behaviour and ID

Hi,

I was on Aylesbeare RSPB reserve in Devon the other day, and witnessed a small wasp riding on the back of a larger wasp, carrying a weevil.... the smaller wasp was persistently smashing the larger wasp (with weevil) into the ground and wrestling with it, whilst another wasp was attacking all 3 of them. The smaller one riding on the back of the larger one eventually won the epic battle after a few mins and managed to bundle the larger wasp and weevil into a hole and job done, flew off.

Any ideas what was going on? also an ID would be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090062.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	699962  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090069.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	699964  
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 14:39   #2
Max S.

I don't know what species occur in the UK, but what you have on your photos is a pair of Cerceris sp.
Not too sure on what's happening though. Maybe the male was trying to mate?
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 11:54   #3
thomasclark1985

Thanks Max, I’ll have a look at which Cerceris sp. we get here when I have time. I presumed the smaller was a Male and larger was female so I wondered whether it was attempted mating, but the weevil threw me off, and then the way it forced them into the hole/burrow.

Cheers,

Tom
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 10:42   #4
thomasclark1985

Hi Max,

It might be this Cerceris arenaria (Sand Tailed Digger Wasp), it fits the habitat and Naturespot quotes -

"The prey species are various weevils. Nests are deep burrows dug in the soil, from which side-tunnels radiate leading to cells at depths of 20 to 25 cm. In sandy areas, dense aggregations containing thousands of nests may form. Each cell is provisioned with 3 to 14 weevils, the number depending on prey size and sex of offspring."

Cheers,

Tom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: