• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird identification help please (1 Viewer)

Mark13

Hi folks

I took these pics today in our garden in central Leeds. We normally get goldfinches, collared doves, magpies, blackbirds and the odd blue or great tit.

I thought at first this was a greenfinch till I had a closer look at the beak. Now I'm thinking warbler but can't narrow it down.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you

Mark

Attachments

• 2019 (10264) 17th Jul Home.jpg
    2019 (10264) 17th Jul Home.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 2019 (10265) 17th Jul Home.jpg
    2019 (10265) 17th Jul Home.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 115
You’re correct, it’s a warbler, either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler. It seems to have a decent primary projection, pale bill, so I’d lean towards a worn adult Willow Warbler, best wait until experts on emarginations etc. give their opinion though!

You’re correct, it’s a warbler, either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler. It seems to have a decent primary projection, pale bill, so I’d lean towards a worn adult Willow Warbler, best wait until experts on emarginations etc. give their opinion though!

Thanks for the response Richard, much appreciated.

I have been looking at this for the last couple of days and I'll be honest I can see pro chiffer features, the very dark legs, the faint supercilium but it looks to be a longish bird which would favour willow warbler and the PP does look to be long, difficult to be sure as quite dark in the picture.
On these two photos I'd not want to make a choice, I'd rather leave it as willow/chiff

I have been looking at this for the last couple of days and I'll be honest I can see pro chiffer features, the very dark legs, the faint supercilium but it looks to be a longish bird which would favour willow warbler and the PP does look to be long, difficult to be sure as quite dark in the picture.
On these two photos I'd not want to make a choice, I'd rather leave it as willow/chiff

Thanks Keith, for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back