• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honouring a former bird watcher (1 Viewer)

Hi,

had a quick look at sold items on ebay... cheapest Diascope 85 with bag but no tripod was 620 quid - altough that was an auction...

Joachim

My son was stationed here until 2008. He now works for Quinetiq sorting weaponry and other issues with the Typhoon. My son in law was also stationed here as a fairy I believe they are called he now works in Saudi Arabia for BAE.

Hi Firby, I was wondering what is a fairy? Sorry just trying to help. Regards, Steve

Hi Firby, I was wondering what is a fairy? Sorry just trying to help. Regards, Steve

Hi Steve

A fairy in the Royal Air Force is an avionics engineer. Could be a man or a woman, and they work on airborne radio, radar, targeting pods and similar kit.

Lee

Hi Steve

A fairy in the Royal Air Force is an avionics engineer. Could be a man or a woman, and they work on airborne radio, radar, targeting pods and similar kit.

Lee

I'm guessing that this comes from the thought that fairies appear during the night to fix or clean up after something is broken, needs tidying or restocking?

Hi Steve

Lee

Hi Lee, Thanks for that information! I was trying to get Firby to reply again and why I asked this question. I see he has not been on here today. He only has 7 posts and needs 10. I wonder can I give him 3 of mine? ;) I think I could spare a few. Forgot to say Sorry Firby for the loss of your brother. A fairy is a very important person to be an Avionics Engineer!!

Last edited:
Hi I’m sorry I didn’t see your post regarding the explanation of a fairy. I took my wife of 52 years away for the weekend. The hotel we stayed in is where I took the shots of mamma mallard and her brood.

I'm guessing that this comes from the thought that fairies appear during the night to fix or clean up after something is broken, needs tidying or restocking?

I like that explanation! I wondered if work on the avionics rarely required spanners, screwdrivers and hammers (!) and so what was 'broken' seemed to get fixed by the magic, or at least just having a lap top hooked up and a few keys pressed.

Maybe its a mix a both explanations, but I definitely like the image of the fairies emerging during night time and having fixed what was faulty, disappearing back from whence they came.

Lee

There was a 15 million frames a second camera that I was told by the makers could only be fixed by black magic.

At the time this was top league.

There are much faster cameras now.

Regards,
B

Last edited:

It’s like gremlins. Surely the Germans were not valiant enough to shoot down a RAF pilot, so if one were downed, it must have been the gremlins’ fault, per Roald Dahl.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if anyone could confirm that this is a mistle thrushView attachment 701766

Sorry Firby the pic is too blurry to be certain. In my experience Mistle Thrushes usually hold their head up from the horizontal so the beak is pointing up a bit. The bird in your pic isn't doing this but this is very flimsy evidence to base a conclusion on.

Lee

My son was stationed here until 2008. He now works for Quinetiq sorting weaponry and other issues with the Typhoon. My son in law was also stationed here as a fairy I believe they are called he now works in Saudi Arabia for BAE.

I think your son works for Qinetiq ( no u)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back