• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Sitting at the computer desk this morning I was pleasantly surprised to have a single Tree Sparrow land on he rose bush in the overgrown jungle of a garden in the house next door! First I've seen in Alnwick!

Took a few pics.....only to realise afterwards I didn't have a memory card in the blasted camera!!!! :storm:

Nice little terms at Long Nanny but an absence of little owls at the farm on the corner leading into Druridge links. Any updates appreciated as I can check again tomorrow.

Good evening, I will be heading up to Northumberland for a few days in mid August and was just wondering what will still be on the Farnes, I know Bempton down here in Yorks can empty out quite quickly (for some species) during this time, but any info gratefully received. I was also hoping to catch up with some Roseate Terns feeding at Hauxley or will it be too late for that?

Many thanks, John

They breed in St Paul's Church which is just a couple of flaps as the swift flies from Swansfield :t:

I've just had one fly over my house here in Bailiffgate at around 10.30am :t: Lucky sighting as I was sat writing a letter and just happened to glance up and saw it. No gliding around....it was heading south ~ fast and on a mission! :-O

Anyone seen any Pinkies yet? Just seen on FB :t:

THE PINKIES ARE COMING!...

John, East Lothian Coucil's Warden at Aberlady Bay, reported the first Pink-footed Geese arriving at the Bay this morning! This is the third earliest arrival date on record.

Look out overhead if you're on the east coast of Scotland!

For details of this year's goose-related events in conjunction with East Lothian Council, please visit https://www.the-soc.org.uk/support-us/events

Bearing in mind my allotment is right next to the wall of Hulne Park my 'allotment list' has given me some wee corkers like Cuckoo (flyover) and Bullfinch feeding on dock seeds. Today I was weeding the raised beds when a 'cronk' was heard :eek!: Looking up I nearly fell over my spade as I saw a RAVEN flying past o:) Big wings, diamond tail - unmistakable!!! I've seen them in the past in the Lakes and the Cheviots. Nice addition to the Year List too as I haven't been able to get out birding further than Alnwick this year due to lack of funds.

Hi to anyone still checking this thread !
I had a Slavonian grebe on Widdrington Lake last weekend, associating with a Great crested Grebe
and a Merlin hunting in Druridge dunes. Some consolation for missing the LB Dowitcher again.
Also, 70 or so Brambling at in beeches right next to Brizlee Tower in Hulne Park, Alnwick yesterday (10 Nov).
Andy

Not sure if anyone is using the thread, but it's all I have to use. Hoping to do my annual visit around February 20-22 and looking for anything out of the ordinary in the Cresswell/Druridge/Hauxley area. Plus a place to see yellowhammers

Still checking back here from time to time. I'm not sure of a surefire site for yellowhammer but I can ask around. A few pics from suburban patch lately.

Attachments

• IMG_5845_1.jpg
    IMG_5845_1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5825_1.jpg
    IMG_5825_1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5832_1.jpg
    IMG_5832_1.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 18
Derek, I have had messages of 100+ yellowhammer in the Holystone (Tyne & Wear) area. Approx grid ref for the farmland north of the village is NZ299705.

Not to be confused with Holystone (Northumberland) which is way up the Coquet valley!

Good day out, report later. 75 species starting with barn owl, finishing with water rail and 3 Marsh harriers in between. Managed not to find the smew due to difficulty in standing up and keeping the scope steady!! PS couldn't find a pied wagtail!!

Last edited:
large number of sawbills, by the old bridge at berwick yesterday. I didnt have bins with me, but fair sure they were red breasted mergansers. approx 35 of them. Visible at high tide.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back