• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inonotus hispidus (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

Located 2 large & very fresh fruiting bodies on semi-mature Ash tree today.

They were not present last week, as its been so hot & dry i thought this was unusual......

or, maybe not.....?

(both fruiting bodies close to one another & at least 10" diametre)

Stevie

It is a common Summer fruiting Bracket mainly on Ash.

Four records for the county.
in the BMS data base.

Colin.

steviewol said:
Hello Colin

Thanks, Whats the BMS data base ?

Steve

Forgive me answering for Colin, but BMS is British Mycological Society, mycology being the study of fungi. The BMS maintains a database that contains collection records throughout the British Isles. Collectors submit records each year thus allowing them to study the distribution of each species. Some species such as False Morels are northern and others such as the Summer Bolete are more southern. The database can be accessed online: just do a search in Google.

Hi Colin. Have you seen any fungi this year? They have been almost completely absent from Berkshire, the New Forest and Dartmoor, apart from a few wood munchers e.g. Pholiota species.

Yes very poor for agarics. Having to get into the leaf litter & dead wood this year looking for Disco's & Myxo's

No Earth stars yet?

ColinJ.

In my part of Surrey I have only had three sp of russula and the the only amanita has been the fly agaric (not a single amanita citrani, usualy prolific in Nower Wood). No deceivers, no roll rims saddest of all not a simgle boletus edulis:-(
There may yet be a last flush before the frosts come so I will keep looking
Regards Roger

yes I agree, a poor year. We did have a good one last year though.

Are there any specific Fungus study groups in your areas?

In Norfolk we have a study group. I would like one in Suffolk too but it is mainly a Birdwatchers county.

I doubt we would get any members.
CJ

Odd. Last year was almost fungus free too, in Berkshire, Hampshire and Devon anyway. I recall that one organisation (was it the BMS?) cancelled a wax cap survey due to the absence of wax caps!

I used to collect with the Hampshire Fungus Recording Group before I moved to Berkshire. The HFRG is quite active and benefits from some knowledgeable amateurs as well as Gordon Dickson who was a professional mycologist and a very likeable chap. There is said to be a Reading group. I haven't contacted them though.

Both russula and waxcap studies were, I believe, cancelled in my area this year!
Colin you asked about a study group, I have not heard it refered to as such but I work with a mycologist who is one of the most respected recorders in Surrey, at this time of year she is always out somewhere collecting records!

Regards Roger

The BMS came to Norfolk this year & visited several sites. At one site they found a first for Britian Russula rubberrima As many of you will know Russulas are the botanists Unbellifers. A nightmare to id.

Should be foraying this weekend on the coast looking for Phallus hadranii.

CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back