• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone seen the lesser spotted pop up hide? (1 Viewer)

Claymore

How's this for unlucky Alf?
My wife bought me a pop up hide (yeehaa) for christmas and while she popped out to the shop i decided to take it outside and check it out:king: i removed the protective bag and givie it a twist and hey presto! my very own camo hide:king:
I went back inside the house to get my coffee and when i went outside there was my hide flying approx 30ft in the air blowing down our fields:eek!:
so i set off chasing the damn thing through the freshly muck spread fields and everytime i got within 20 ft there goes another gust:C this went on for approx 10mins with me getting more and more angry and saying one or two phrases that wouldn't be out of place on the Gordon Ramsey shows.
I eventually cornered it down at the forest approx 1/2mile form my home and after folding it up set off back up our hill only to be greeted at the top by my neighbour who had her parents staying for Christmas:eek!:
After they had stopped laughing:-O:-O:-O they said "Brilliant stuff wouldn't have missed it for the world" i bid them good day:C and went inside the house to clean mud etc (yuk) off my new hide before her indoors returned.
So anyone thinking of buying a Popup hide please keep a strong grasp on it on a breezy day3:)
My wife told me to tell you this after she was confronted by the neighbours.
Unlucky Alf or what?
Cheers
Brian in a very windy/wet/stinky Scotland

3:) Nice story Brian. I am looking to get one myself for my back yard (patio so cannot anchor with pegs) I wonder if a few concreat blocks inside would help retain it.

3:) Nice story Brian. I am looking to get one myself for my back yard (patio so cannot anchor with pegs) I wonder if a few concreat blocks inside would help retain it.
Hi Roy,
I daren't show my face around here at the moment LoL they are brilliant idea and i should have known they would make a grand kite but its been starnge weather here lately and one minute its beautiful sunshine with no breeze and next its like the end of the world snapping braches off trees etc. We have dafodils out too which is quite early (before the snowdrops) no wonder the wildlife are confused (Hedgehogs are out in the garden most nights after i made them a nice cosy home)
I can recomend the hides (mine is from Wildlife Watching Supplies) and it will be very useful as i cannot walk very much due to health probs so its a case of doing my homework to find ideal spot and getting out early in the day!
Cheers
Brian

This does seem to be a problem with these pop up hides. A couple of years ago I had one on some farmland where I work and it wasn't checked every day; I checked on it after a stormy day and found it in the river. It was caked in mud and took ages to clean. Now I've got my feeding station in a different location and I'm using the car as a hide.

Aye that's the problem with portable hides, i have set it up in my wood and it seems much happier! just have to look out for trees shedding their branches 8-( Oh Dear why did i say that? best start wearing my motorbike helmet LoL
Cheers
Brian
Ps cars are great for hides but although we have loads of wildlife/beautiful scenery etc there is a lack of parking spots due to the narrow country roads etc so getting your car near to the wildlife is a bit of a problem.

The manufaturers of these hides are very cunning, they place guy ropes and pegs with the instruction as a clue to the kite like properties inherent with tented like hides!!!
Concrete blocks work a treat.
And, who ever cleans a hide? designed to meld into the background????
really they are a real boon for photography.

Paul

I also learned the hard way and now, when using the hide, I carry a few plant stakes. Light, don't take up much room and they can go down a good 6" really securing the hide.

I use my hide on the patio and anchor the guy ropes down with paveing slabs not perfect but it helps(most of us have had the hide blow over at some time or other.

I use my hide on the patio and anchor the guy ropes down with paveing slabs not perfect but it helps(most of us have had the hide blow over at some time or other.
Could be the route I will have to take Graham, thanks for the tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back