• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (1 Viewer)

jayhunter said:
Can't find anything resembling them in my books but looks like some form of shield bug, one of the real entymoligists out there will come up with the answer. Sorry, but they are cute looking things.

Thanks Bob. I did consider shield bugs, but they don't seem to have the right shape. However, I'm certainly no expert. I await an opinion from one of the real entymologist. :h?:

Dave

Immatures, that's why no wings. Hemipterans or Homopterans of some kind (never could get those two orders straight in my mind...)

No real endymionologist here. More of an etymologist if anything.

Charles Harper said:
Immatures, that's why no wings. Hemipterans or Homopterans of some kind (never could get those two orders straight in my mind...)

No real endymionologist here. More of an etymologist if anything.

Thanks Charles. I've just received an email from a friend who knows an expert who says "your bugs seem to be the nymphs of a predatory shieldbug 'Picromerus bidens'"

Having looked them up in my book (Chinery - Insects of Britain & N Europe) I would just love to see the adults.

So Bob (Jayhunter) was right as well.

Dave

They aremymphs of true bugs of the family Pentatomidae; they may be of the species Picromerus bidens, but I am no expert in bugs

O , sorry ...has been answered already

Joern Lehmhus said:
They aremymphs of true bugs of the family Pentatomidae; they may be of the species Picromerus bidens, but I am no expert in bugs

O , sorry ...has been answered already

No problem. It is great to get further confirmation.

Dave

Dave Smith said:
I would be most grateful for any help in identifying these little fellas. They are about ladybird size. They don't seem to have any wing-case so not beetles? They seem to have 6 legs so not ticks? Are they possibly at an earlier stage in their development?

The photo was taken at Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk, UK on 20 June 2004.

Hello Dave,
I can confirm that these are the nymphs of P.bidens the Two Spined Shieldbug, sometimes known as The Spikey Shieldbug.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Dave,
I can confirm that these are the nymphs of P.bidens the Two Spined Shieldbug, sometimes known as The Spikey Shieldbug.

Harry

Thanks Harry, and also for their common names.

Dave

Another one for Harry. Found just now on my office window near centre of Peterborough, UK.

Attachments

• shield_bug_28jul04_640.jpg
    shield_bug_28jul04_640.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 335
brianhstone said:
Another one for Harry. Found just now on my office window near centre of Peterborough, UK.

Hello Brian,
It's a Gorse Shieldbug. The greenish/yellow colouring and the heavy punctation of the upper surfaces give it away immediately. There must be some Gorse or Broom in the vicinity, or, it's been accidently brought into the area. It is common just about everywhere these two plants occur.

Harry

another shieldbug

Is this a sloe bug - Dolycoris baccarum? (grassland/scrub in Bedfordshire)
Thanks,
Hugh

Attachments

• 54H01C0003.jpg
    54H01C0003.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 292
138mph said:
Is this a sloe bug - Dolycoris baccarum? (grassland/scrub in Bedfordshire)
Thanks,
Hugh

Hello Hugh,
Spot on with your ID, it is D.baccarum. It's common where you are, and like Hen's teeth where I am. I have only ever seen one in Northumberland which was the third record for the county in 150 years.

Harry

Some sort of squash bug?

Thanks, for instant confirmation of Sloe Bug, just remembered that I had seen this creature - spotted July 25 in scrub around a Bedfordshire gravel pit.

Attachments

• 54G25C0203.jpg
    54G25C0203.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 300
138mph said:
Thanks, for instant confirmation of Sloe Bug, just remembered that I had seen this creature - spotted July 25 in scrub around a Bedfordshire gravel pit.

Hrllo Hugh,
Your pic is that of a bug, but it's not a Shieldbug. Sorry, but it's not something I know by sight. There's over 500 British species of bugs. It's just the Shieldbugs I do.

Harry.

Hi Harry,

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. Tonight A shieldbug decided to visit me while I was at my computer. I was freaking out because I have never seen one before and didin't even know what it was called. After quite a bit of research I ended up on this site and registered for the forum Here is a picture of my friend.

Attachments

• Pat, Cathy, Cale, Ty61.JPG
    Pat, Cathy, Cale, Ty61.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 302
Prtyblueiz said:
Hi Harry,

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. Tonight A shieldbug decided to visit me while I was at my computer. I was freaking out because I have never seen one before and didin't even know what it was called. After quite a bit of research I ended up on this site and registered for the forum Here is a picture of my friend.

Hello Prtyblueiz,

Welcome the Bird Forum (entomological section) You certainly do have a Shieldbug which I believe are better known collectively as Stinkbugs on your side of 'the pond.'

Unfortunately I can't identify it for you as I only have data on British species, and your picture is somewhat indistinct. Your local library may have a book on American species which would help you. Many can be recognised by colour or colour pattern alone. If you are wondering why they are called Stinkbugs get your nose close to one and sniff (lol).

Regards,

Harry

Harry,

Yet again I seek your assistance. Glad shieldbugs are your thing! Can you sort this little fella out that was in my garden today?

Attachments

• shieldcolby050804.jpg
    shieldcolby050804.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 316
The Drinker said:
Harry,

Yet again I seek your assistance. Glad shieldbugs are your thing! Can you sort this little fella out that was in my garden today?

Hi Drinker,
No problem at all my son, it's The Forest Shieldbug Pentatoma rufipes
Despite it's name it is generally a common species in gardens as well. It feeds as both larva and adult, on the juices of berries of various sorts and also on the body juices of lepidopterous larva, and probable those of Sawflies as well.
There is very little variation in this species except for the colour of the spot on the scutellum, where the red dot is sometimes replaced by white, yellow or pink.
Harry.

Angus T said:
Harry, I've seen Sloe bug and Forest shieldbug recently.
Do you have info on whether they're common in my area?

Hello Angus,
As you are probably well aware Ireland is much under-recorded entomologically, (although recently things seem to be improving) and the Hemiptera-Homoptera have hardly any enthusiastic followers even on the British mainland. The last text book on the British Species was published back in 1959. There have been no provisional Atlas's published on any of the Plant or Water Bugs. As far as I am aware the National Recorder still uses a card index for keeping records although there may be some at BRC that are computerised.

I do know that both Sloe and Forest Shieldbugs are recorded from Ireland but I cannot give you their current Status. Perhaps the Irish equivilent of BRC will have more data.

If you have Juniper in your area it would be worth beating the female berry bearing forms to see if you can find the Juniper Shieldbug. There is only one very old, unverified record for the whole of Ireland. Pictures of this insect can be seen at the following site:-

http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P58933.HTM

In 2000 I found this species on several sites in Northumberland and Durham on Juniper, although the textbooks said that it didn't occur north of Lancashire. The adults are out now till mid Sept.

Harry

Any ideas please

This is very similar to a Nezara viridula but it's not green and I found it on a thistle head in a wood in North Notts.
Any ideas !

Attachments

• 12293.jpg
    12293.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 320

Users who are viewing this thread

Back