• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

Willow Warbler & Swallow over the past few days brings me to 67, with just three remaining "bankers" to go*.

James

(* Hobby, Swift & House Martin in case you were wondering.)

65) Swallow
66) Whitethroat

Just had a look at last years garden listing thread. I was on 65 this time last year and Halftwo was on 68 so I'm just one better but he is 9 better this year.

Last edited:
A pair of grdn.Bullfinch made a bright morning even...brighter! My first since Dec '10...pulling out into the fast lane now....32 in and 26 out, now on 58!

cheers

Cool northerlies still holding migrants back, very few arriving. Nevertheless, still not bad -White Storks all over the place, a variety of woodpeckers still on the feeders, plus a smart male Brambling joining the Chaffinches (just about annual, but not common) and a couple of Hawfinch in tree tops adjacent. Better though, a male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker calling and drumming just beyond the feeders - very good news, as this winter just gone was my first ever with none on the peanut feeders (I have a hunch that Pygmy Owl muched my regular ones!), so most welcome is a returnee.
Other odds and sods, my first Pied Flycatcher on the year, singing by a nestbox near the feeders, a Chiffchaff singing and, fairly rare on my land, a Snipe rising from a wet patch.

62. Common Snipe.
63. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.
64. Chiffchaff.
65. Pied Flycatcher.
66. Hawfinch.
67. Brambling.

And, back counting, just realised that that post not only brought my garden/land year list to 67, but was also my 10,000th post on Bird Forum!

Willow Warbler singing away as I woke up this morning takes me up to 58. Still need plenty of common stuff though GS woodpecker, House Martin, Lesser + Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Coal Tit, Jay, Linnet and Reed Bunting ...

You can't put just "Nightingale"!!

Did you see it? Did you hear it?

Unless global warming continues that's right out for me. (They are very rarely recorded in Cheshire)

Nice one.

Despite continuing hot weather here no new migrants at home - though I had a suspect Cuckoo on patch today.

New butterflies over the last day or two: Speckled wood & Green-veined whites.

You can't put just "Nightingale"!!

Did you see it? Did you hear it?

OK OK ;)...........I heard two today in different places, one of which was from the garden so it must have come in last night or early this morning. We are really really lucky in Sussex to be so blessed with them. I heard it from about 11 o'clock this morning from an area of scrub not far from the house. I'm actually really pleased as I've been worried about them. For the last few years their numbers have been declining around here. It is difficult to know why. Numbers of fallow deer have hugely increased in my part of Sussex and they browse and graze the understory mercilessly...............but there are other external factors as well.............. I just hope they stay to breed.

My Cuckoo was a migrant and has moved on; hope some more turn up.

Stuck in my Vilnius garden, two tons of soil to shift! But what a nice day, both Pied Flycatcher and Common Redstart returned, the latter peeking into nestboxes I had put up just twenty minutes earlier to replace a couple of old ones.
And then a rarity for my Vinius garden - loud pjuu pjuu pjuu pjuu and there was a Wryneck, nice! Breeds in both my Labanoras garden and land, but only the thrid record for my town garden, so chuffed with that.

78 : Yellow wagtail - one over.

Edit: 5pm. a VIP came to the bramble patch, and got inspected by the Blackcap, then flew into my garden to scold me with a "djier":

79 : Whitethroat.

One more to equal the whole of 2010!!

Last edited:
Stuck in my Vilnius garden, two tons of soil to shift! But what a nice day, both Pied Flycatcher and Common Redstart returned, the latter peeking into nestboxes I had put up just twenty minutes earlier to replace a couple of old ones.
And then a rarity for my Vinius garden - loud pjuu pjuu pjuu pjuu and there was a Wryneck, nice! Breeds in both my Labanoras garden and land, but only the thrid record for my town garden, so chuffed with that.

Very nice birds to have in your garden Jos. Had a Common Redstart once on migration in my garden but the others are on my 'dream' garden list.

One more to equal the whole of 2010!!

You're on a roll H.........you'll probably beat last years total before the end of the month!

Nightingale singing between 2 and 3 AM. :king:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back