• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

Today i've had Magpie,Wood Pigeon, Chaffinch, Yellow hammer ( Pair) House sparrow (Pair) Great tit (4) Blue tit (4) Robin (2) Dunnock, Blackbird (Male) Tree sparrow (Male) Think that's all

Had my 28th 'in garden' species for the year today...a Song Thrush...and it is singing!

Also on my pyracanthea bough..which is festooned with apples (for the Waxwings..which still haven't materialised), I had a Nuthatch stabbing an apple several times..before dropping onto the nut feeder..perhaps it thought that it was an outsized peanut?.

Ooh, getting close now, Joanne!

Despite a few looks out there today, nothing new. A Lapwing flying past was just the third day of records for that species this year. 20+ Fieldfares in the field and a Goldcrest again, but despite the spring-like quality of the day I still await some passage. Have put the last of the niger seeds in the feeder - still getting Lesser redpoll & Siskin every day - when that's gone they'll have to fend for themselves.

Had 3 Lesser Redpoll by the niger feeder this afternoon...my first visit from this species for decades? (one bird had a white area on the mantle).

My 29th 'in garden' species for the year, with 21 'flyovers'...totals 50 so far.

Beautiful sunrise this morning: -3c and clear. Not many birds about, however though, this made up by the passing of two Ravens close by and vocal. 20+ Fieldfares too.

Then a something landed very briefly in the treetop along with a Greenfinch or two, disappearing quickly. Turning back to my usual view I could see a silhouette sitting in the nearest hawthorn shrub in the adjacent hedge. Obligingly this stayed for ten minutes and was a

61 : Reed bunting.

Echoing halftwo's beautiful morning...darn ere in Essex!...a now scarce garden visitor..a 'club' footed male Greenfinch on the niger, and my 51st grdn. flyby..Mandarin Duck. (here, a fairly regular flyby from Spring onwards).

Echoing halftwo's beautiful morning...darn ere in Essex!...a now scarce garden visitor..a 'club' footed male Greenfinch on the niger, and my 51st grdn. flyby..Mandarin Duck. (here, a fairly regular flyby from Spring onwards).

Wow - a real good 'un!

59)Chiffchaff, it's always such a pleasure to have the first one of the year!

I see your Chiffchaff and raise you one

62 : Oystercatcher

flying over & calling - the first for spring.

Now 13c !

24. Northern Goshawk, a winter resident (rare) in Missouri, flew around and over our yard this morning. Same size as a Red-tailed Hawk, long tail (not quite as rounded off as our Cooper's Hawk). Wings appeared more pointed than the Cooper's. I could not see the broad, white eye brow as it was rather high in the air! I wish it would have perched so I could have gotten a better look!

A misty mild morning today: +6c in contrast to yesterday's frost.

Early morning paying dividends yet again with two

63 : Greylag geese - a bit plastic I know.

But this was followed within minutes by a

64 : Canada goose

going the other way! This is rather more expected and a little overdue.

A score of Fieldfare & one Redwing are still around. The Bullfinch pair seems to be nesting very near the Long-tailed tits' nest in the bramble patch - that would be nice.

60) Coot.

This is actually my 100th garden specie, a little disappointed that the 100th bird on my garden wasn't something just a little more exotic than an old coot but never mind. One hundred on a garden list is pretty good going. |:d|

60) Coot.

This is actually my 100th garden specie, a little disappointed that the 100th bird on my garden wasn't something just a little more exotic than an old coot but never mind. One hundred on a garden list is pretty good going. |:d|

Yes but context is everything! I would consider a Coot in (or from) my garden to be massively exotic, and a very welcome 100th species (ten to go for me). And yes, 100 is pretty good going; congratulations!

My 60th of the year was up on Sunday; Chiffchaff.

James

I jubilantly punched the air this morning!....as out of the mist came an oncoming fast flying 'Dove'... which then morphed into.....a Ringed Plover..a garden 1st!...but alas I was 150m from my front door..C'est la vie. :-C

Here is the of list birds I observed in my yard on one day this February and submitted to the Great Backyard Bird Count.
Weather: excellent
Habitat(s):
deciduous woods

Number of species: 33
All Reported: yes

Species Count
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Barred Owl 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 5
Carolina Chickadee 7
Tufted Titmouse 7
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Carolina Wren 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Eastern Bluebird 6
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 8
Northern Mockingbird 1
Brown Thrasher 1
Cedar Waxwing 12
Yellow-rumped Warbler 7
Spotted Towhee 3
Fox Sparrow 2
White-throated Sparrow 9
Harris's Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 15
Northern Cardinal 37
Red-winged Blackbird 6
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Purple Finch 9
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 23

Attachments

• proof1.jpg
    proof1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 45
  • view1.jpg
    view1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 41
My 60th of the year was up on Sunday; Chiffchaff.

James

We're neck and neck then! Chiffchaff in Scotland in March is pretty amazing, isn't it?

I jubilantly punched the air this morning!....as out of the mist came an oncoming fast flying 'Dove'... which then morphed into.....a Ringed Plover..a garden 1st!...but alas I was 150m from my front door..C'est la vie. :-C

Excellent tick for/from any garden and an amazing one for a London garden!

We're neck and neck then! Chiffchaff in Scotland in March is pretty amazing, isn't it?

Ha ha, Joanne! Flintshire in Scotland! :-O;) As you're not native I'll forgive you!

I note from my records that the earliest date for both Chiffy & Sand martin is March 15th. - but the sun hasn't shone at all today (& anyway I've been at hospital most of the day) so not much is singing.

Ken - Ringed plover is a great fly past!! I've had both LRP & RP on patch - so you never know.

On a brighter note, however, while watching the Long-tailed tits carrying feathers I see that their now completed nest is visible from my watchpoint. (whether it remains so when the bramble is in full leaf I can't tell)

Buds are budding - currently the poplars are popular with tits, finches & pigeons - as their leaves are emerging. A dozen Redwings landed briefly in them too as a Sparrowhawk went through. The hawthorns are busting green as are the wild roses.
I succumbed to buying more niger seed as the Lesser redpolls & Siskins (& Goldfinches) are still a daily spectacle on the feeder.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back