• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant Cull Petition (1 Viewer)

Spencer Burge

Sound Approach
Hello,
I know some of you may be avid anglers as well as dedicated birders, how do you feel in regards to the recent petition to cull a couple thousand Cormorants around the U.K.
Anglers seem to feel that they are a nuisance and far too adept at fishing out stocks and for this reason they believe that in order to save fish numbers the cormorants should be removed from certain stretches of coastline and especially inland bodies of water.
However, the anglers association does not seem to have published any proof that the decline in fish stocks has been due to Cormorant populations.
The current U.K cormorant population is thought to be around 9000 pairs and in the winter another 29000 join the U.K population from the continent.

Personally I feel that the cormorants are just doing what they do best, fishing. They may not be pretty but they can fish like no other, they have been known to dive up to 105ft to reach food and often earn the reputation as being greedy, whereas in fact the ability to dive is derived from their lack of downy plumage which means they can dive really efficiently.
Diving in cold water is terrible for a warmblooded bird with no insulation, so they eat, a lot. They are often seen sunning themselves to dry their sleek feathers and are amazing to watch.

How would you feel if these fascinating creatures were killed so that anglers could continue their hobby?

Hi SBurge,

The most worrying point is, how many other Hobbies see wildlife as a nuisance and jump to similar decisions without seeing the bigger picture.

I think most anglers are lovers of their environment but as an occassional fisherman myself, I have seen lots of changes over the years, none more so than an extreme to the sport where specimen fish become the expectation. Fish stocking is also extreme on small pools and fisheries and this become the Cormorant's bird-table. No surprises what happens then.

Also, my local river (I'm sure like many others) and the adjoining brooks are "tidied" to maximise flow - probably so that EA can't be accused of not trying to prevent flooding. The affect I am certain is less fish.

I know people will disagree with me but my thoughts are that Human sport should never be at the expense of naturally occuring fauna and flora - otherwise, where does it stop? Would we see the day where Osprey are consdiered a nuisance species?

There are plenty of other issues for fishermen to be concerned about right now - number one being lack of rainfall in the South East.

I'd say two situations give rise to a possible need for culling.
  1. An introduced species is posing a clear and present danger to indigenous species, or
  2. Absence of predators has led to a species becoming so populous that it is threatening habitat, wider biodiversity or its own wellbeing because of disease.
Culling a species because it is inconveniencing somebody's hobby should never be acceptable.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back