• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Names lacking in the Key (1 Viewer)

As I understand it, according to Rey; "Cinclus Khevenhülleri" ought to be a synonym of the Brown Dipper Cinclus p. pallasii Temminck, 1820 (even if Rey wrote it with single ending-i.)
This is one of the possibilities I was trying to suggest above. ("But, rather, a specimen of a wholly dark [ash-grey] dipper sp.") Albeit in fact, "ash-grey" (Brehm's "Aschgraue") may match American Dipper better than Brown Dipper, I think -- which, not knowing where the bird came from, leaves me a bit hesitant.

Or possibly only a large, single specimen with deformed/abnormal beak ...
This is how I understand Hartert & Kleinschmidt's comment.

Last edited:
cogolca vs Kogolka alt. Kagolca

This scientific name (i.e. this particular version/spelling) is not included in the HBW Alive Key ...

cogolca as in:
● "Anas cogolca" S. G. GMELIN 1770 (here, in text, bottom page)

Based on a local Russian name I assume?

See the Russian name/letters, in the phrase directly above the scientific name cogalca ...

Also compare with:
● "Anas Kogolka" S. G. GMELIN 1771 (here)
● "Anas Kagolca" J. F. GMELIN 1789 (here)

However today's Key gives us:
kogolka
According to S. Gmelin 1771, Kogolka is a Russian name for the Eurasian Wigeon (cf. Siberian Lamut name Kekolki) (syn. Mareca penelope).
If relevant?

Björn

PS. Some books claim it as synonyms of the Greater Scaup Aythya marila LINNAEUS 1761 ... ?!?
I don´t have a clue, nor an opinion. I just spotted the (former/1770/earliest?) version; cogolca.
--

Last edited:
This scientific name (i.e. this particular version/spelling) is not included in the HBW Alive Key ...

cogolca as in:
● "Anas cogolca" S. G. GMELIN 1770 (here, in text, bottom page)

Based on a local Russian name I assume?

See the Russian name/letters, in the phrase directly above the scientific name cogalca ...
The 1770 account reads:
Es hat diese Ente in der Landsprache, keinen besondern Namen. Hingegen wird eine andere, deren Kopf und Hals castanien Farben ist, коголка genannt.
Die zwote ist Anas cogolca.
Eine mit einer Abbildung erläuterte Beschreibung wird von mir in denen Denkschriften der Kaiserlichen Akademie zu lesen seyn, [...].
(= This duck (*) has no special name in the local language. On the other hand, another one, whose head and neck is of a chestnut color, is called коголка. This second one is Anas cogolca. A description illustrated with a figure is to be read by me in the Memoirs of the Imperial Academy, [...].
*) He's talking of his Anas lurida here.)

This description with figure appeared as part of Gmelin 1771 (your second link; alt., on BHL: [here], where you can also see the figure ([here]); "Denkschriften der Kaiserlichen Akademie" in the 1770 text was evidently a Germanization by Gmelin of Commentarii Academiae Imperialis).
Gmelin 1771 did not explain the name (so far as I can see), and treated this bird explicitly as distinct from Anas penelope (even if a bit tentatively; last § of the text), but indeed the description and plate point clearly to a wigeon. (Quite hard to identify it with any certainty from the 1770 'description' alone, though... Possibly the name used to be regarded as unavailable in the 1770 work...?)

And here´s a (missed?) name, from the cornerstone of modern taxonomy itself; Linnaeus's Systema naturæ 1758 ... !

adunca as in:
● [Anas] adunca LINNAEUS 1758 (here, p.206) ... a domesticated duck from Belgium!

As I understand it is equal of "Anas boscas", which is today's wild/domesticated duck (Mallard) A. platyrhynchos alt. ditto (dom.).

Linnaeus's [Anas] "Boschas" was described (pp.205-206) directly before adunca.

calei

Now in the Key:
caleyi / caleyii
George Caley (1770-1829) English botanist, early explorer in Australia 1800-1810, Superintendent of Botanic Gardens St. Vincent 1816-1823 (syn. Petrochelidon nigricans neglecta).
Here is another variant:

calei, as in: Haliaeetus calei Vigors & Horsfield 1827 [OD] (syn. Erythrotriorchis radiatus).

Dedication:
Domini GEORGII CALEY peregrinatoris eruditi, sagacissimique observatoris, qui, per decem annos in Australiâ commoratus, Naturam in adyto suo, in agris, sylvis, montibusque coluit, haec species, quam inter multas alias laboribus ejus debemus, nomine designetur.

Last edited:
Noteworthy in the same paper by Vigors & Horsfield 1827 is their comment regarding the Boobook Owl Ninox boobook:
"The native name of this bird" as Mr. Caley informs us, "is Buck'buck."
Compare with today's HBW Alive Key:
boobook
Aboriginal onomatopoeia Boobook for the Australian Boobook Owl; ex "Boobook Owl" of Latham 1781: "This inhabits New Holland, where it is known by the name of Boobook" (Ninox).
Also compare with the version bukbuk (alt. Bōkbōk) mentioned earlier (back in 2016), here.

Makes one wonder what the true aboriginal name was, doesn't it? I tend towards the latter version/s.

Makes one wonder what the true aboriginal name was, doesn't it? I tend towards the latter version/s.

As far as I know the aboriginal populations would have no written language at the time, the names were passed down in an oral tradition. And with an area as large as Australia there is bound to have been dialects, so likely all of the above?

Niels

Homochlamys fortipes manis Koelz 1954 is not in the key.
I have a copy of the OD in Contributions from the institute fr Regional Exploration. The name means:
manis: Mani is short for the mantra of Avalokiteshvara(the Buddha), “Om Mani Padme Hum”. Koelz was acollector of oriental art and greatly interested in Tibetanculture. He does not give the etymology of this word.

(PDF) A dictionary of scientific bird names originating from the Indian region. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...bird_names_originating_from_the_Indian_region [accessed Jun 26 2018].
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Hier/hier00488a.jpg .
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/56418/MP174.pdf;sequence=1 .

Mark, thanks for highlighting Koelz's manis. I have a signed copy of Aasheesh Pittie's A dictionary of scientific bird names originating from the Indian region (2004), but obviously overlooked his manis entry. I am not sure about the Buddha connection, and have reworked the Key entry accordingly.

Bockakatoe ?

This name is listed at several places on the Web, and appears in the 9th volume of Nomenclator Zoologicus (Edwards, Manly & Tobias 1996, the continuation of Neave's work, http://ubio.org/NZ/browse.php?vol=9&page=91 ) albeit with an obviously wrong authorship.

Name: Bockakatoe
Author: Wells & Wellington
Date: 1993
OD ref: Wells RW, Wellington R. 1993. Further notes on the classification of the Australasian Psittaciformes (Parrots and cockatoos). Sydney Basin Naturalist, 2: 41-42.
Page: 42

I can't be sure without seeing the OD but, a year before, in the same journal (Wells RW, Wellington R. 1992. A classification of the cockatoos and parrots (Aves: Psittaciformes) of Australia. Sydney Basin Nat. 1: 107-169.; p.111; https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...-of-the-cockatoos-and-parrots-aves-calodema/4 ), the same authors had complained about lacking a valid generic name for Psittacus philippinarum Gmelin 1788 = Psittacus haematuropygius Statius Müller 1776, and had used Kakatoe Cuvier 1800 for it, despite noting that this was not correct. I presume that Bockakatoe is the name they needed, and finally decided to propose.

Palumba

I see this attributed to "Voinstvens" in several places on the Web (Nom. Zool., GBIF, etc.), which is not correct. (I struggled a bit to find the OD, as a result.)
Name: Palumba
Author: Voinstvensky
Date: 1993
OD ref: Воинственский МА. [Voinstvensky MA.] 1993. О систематическом положении вяхиря (Aves, Columbiformes). [On the systematic position of the woodpigeon (Aves, Columbiformes).] Вестник Зоологии [Vestnik Zoologii], 5: 78-79.
Page: 78
Link: http://mail.izan.kiev.ua/vz-pdf/1993/N_5_93/93_5_20-Voinstvensky.pdf
OINS: Palumba palumbus
Type: Columba palumbus Linnaeus 1758
Syn. of ? in use
Fixation by: original designation
Fixation ref: as OD
Page: as OD
Link: as OD
OD of type ref: Linnaeus C. 1758. Systema naturae per regna tria naturae, secundum classes, ordines, genera, species, cum characteribus, differentiis, synonymis, locis. Tomus I. Laurentius Salvius, Stockholm.
Page: 163
link: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/727070
Notes:
Available: yes
Family: Columbidae​
Etymological explanation:
Название образовано из латинского имени существительного мужсково рода palumbus (в классической латыни - palumbes) - названия типового вида.
(= The name is formed from the Latin noun of the masculine gender palumbus (in classical Latin - palumbes) - the name of the type species.)

Last edited:
Antillovultur ?

(This may be a borderline case re. its inclusion in the Key... Or not ? There are probably quite a few other similar cases: names based on a fossil but now synonymized with a name based on an extant bird.)
Name: Antillovultur
Author: Arredondo
Date: 1971
OD ref: Arredondo O. 1970. Nuevo genero y especie de ave fosil (Accipitriformes: Vulturidae) del Pleistoceno de Cuba. Mem. Soc. Cien. Nat. La Salle, 31: 309-323.
Page: 310
Link: http://www.fundacionlasalle.org.ve/userfiles/mem_1971_31_90_309-323.pdf
OINS: Antillovultur varonai
Type: Antillovultur varonai Arredondo 1970
Syn. of ? in use
OD of type ref: as OD
link: as OD
Notes: The type is a fossil, but the generic name is now regarded as a synonym of Gymnogyps (California Condor). Cf.: Suárez W, Emslie SD. 2003. New fossil material with a redescription of the extinct condor Gymnogyps varonai (Arredondo, 1971) from the Quaternary of Cuba (Aves: Vulturidae). Proc. Biol. Soc. Washington, 116: 29-37.; http://people.uncw.edu/emslies/documents/SuarezandEmslie2003.pdf .
Available: yes
Family: Cathartidae​

Last edited:
Soter

Soter Naurois 1975
(du grec σωτήρ soter, sauveur) nommé en l'honneur du grand naturaliste et systématicien Tommaso Salvadori.
Name: Soter
Author: Naurois
Date: 1975
OD ref: Naurois R de. 1975. Le “Scops” de l'Ile de São Tome Otus hartlaubi Giebel. Bonner Zool. Beitr., 26: 319-355.
Page: 351
Link: http://www.zoologicalbulletin.de/BzB_Volumes/Volume_26_4/319_355_BZB26_4_deNaurois_Rene.PDF
OINS: Otus hartlaubi, [O. rutilus, O. magicus, O. modestus (all tentatively included)]
Type: Noctua hartlaubi Giebel 1872
Syn. of ? in use
OD of type ref: Giebel CG. 1872. Thesaurus ornithologiae. Repertorium der gesammten ornithologischen Literatur und Nomenclator sämmtlicher Gattungen und Arten der Vögel, nebst Synonymen und geographischer Verbreitung. Erster Band. FA Brockhaus, Leipzig.
Page: 448
link: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/48113581
Notes: As a subgenus of Otus. Proposal entirely written in the conditional mode (probably a problem for availability after 1960). The type species name is a replacement name for Athene leucopsis Hartlaub 1849 (Hartlaub G. 1849. Description de cinq nouvelles espèces d'oiseaux de l'Afrique occidentale. Rev. Mag. Zool., sér. 2, 1: 493-498.; p. 496; https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/2343872 ), nec Athene leucopsis Gould 1837. The genus name is flagged as extinct in Nomenclator Zoologicus.
Available: no (?)
Family: Strigidae​

Last edited:
I am very impressed, Laurent, with Palumba and Soter. I am not sure, however, about including the Pleistocene fossil Antillovultur in the Key - as you remark, a borderline case - and the thin end of the wedge? I do intend to include extinct genera and species in due course (see this thread #22).

Antillovultur ?

(This may be a borderline case re. its inclusion in the Key... Or not ? There are probably quite a few other similar cases: names based on a fossil but now synonymized with a name based on an extant bird.)

Yes, it happens more often:
Tinamisornis Rovereto, 1914. was first transferred to Cayetanornis by Brodkorb, 1963 (gen. nov.) and Cayetanornis Brodkorb, 1963 became Nothura Wagler, 1827 (tranfer by Tambussi et Noriega, 1996.

Tinamisornis intermedius Rovereto, 1914. was first transferred to Roveretornis by Brodkorb, 1961 (gen. nov.) and Roveretornis was synonymized with Eudromia by Tonni, 1977. This new combinatio unfortunately was preoccupied so the species was renamed Eudromia olsoni Tambussi et Tonni, 1985.

Many more examples can be given, but at the moment I will leave it to this two.

All the best,

Fred

I am very impressed, Laurent, with Palumba and Soter. I am not sure, however, about including the Pleistocene fossil Antillovultur in the Key - as you remark, a borderline case - and the thin end of the wedge? I do intend to include extinct genera and species in due course (see this thread #22).

------------

From post #22: I am in a quandary regarding extinct birds. A good starting point is Hume & Walters 2012, Extinct Birds, which treated taxa which have become extinct within the last 700 years. More recent is the comprehensive list of Tyrberg, Lagerqvist & Jirle, 2017, Utdöda arter under Holocen fram til 1500, which deals with the Holocene (c. 11,000 BC) to 1500. I am inclined only to treat those birds which may be considered to have been extant in the modern period (e.g. reliable contemporary accounts, descriptions and illustrations, remains found in middens). However, even though most of them are not in HBW & BLI Illustrated Checklist, for the sake of completeness I will enter all the names found in Hume & Walters 2012 and in Tyrberg et al. 2017, in the Key in due course (when I have sorted out the living birds!)

Why restrict yourself to only to Holocene birds? Fossil Birds are very much a part of Birds, despite HBW ignored them (not completely, the had a chapter on fossil birds in volume 12 by K. J. Caley, but unfortunately there are several mistakes in it, and their treatment in the family accounts are very incomplete), without fossil birds no recent birds, only they are not very well known by the general public and general birdwatcher. If you need help with fossil and extinct birds, you are welcome to ask.

Fred

Thanks for your thoughts and offer of help Fred, but you will appreciate my connection with HBWAlive and the taxa and associated names there referred to. Later, consideration could be given to listing fossil genera now subsumed in current genera, but at present I do not have sufficient references to provide such a service. On Wikipedia there is a list of fossil bird genera, but I do not know how complete or accurate it is -- and I would prefer a Checklist of the Fossil Birds of the World a la Peters! Perhaps if Lynx Edicions publish "HBWExtinct" I will set my sights a little higher!

Acting on my previous comment (see #99) Fred has kindly sent me a copy of his excellent and comprehensive Fossiele en Uitgestorven Vogels van de Wereld. Met enkele notities over sommige dinosauriërs en moderne vogels (2018 pdf MS). I have found nearly 80 'new' generic names treated as synonymous with current genera and, therefore, worthy of an entry in the Key. These will gradually be inserted as time permits and when a suitable single icon can be found to distinguish sub-fossil and fossil genera. I will have great fun creating distinctive English names for the extinct type-species; I have already made a start on the moas.
PS. I will use the symbol to distinguish Extinct Genus.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back