• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damselfly ID please (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
I feel fairly confident that the top one is a male Blue-tailed Damselfly and suspect that the lower one is the female. They were not together. Confirmation or otherwise would be gratefully received. I've ordered an ID book but it hasn't yet arrived.

Attachments

• blue-tailed damselfly (m & f).jpg
    blue-tailed damselfly (m & f).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 284
I don´t know damselflies too well, but I think they are different species. The male is Blue-tailed Damselfly , but the female looks more like Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula).

Look at this site: http://korento.net/ . It is in finnish but with english summary and good pictures.

I'm struggling Id- ing the blue ones, they all look pretty similar.

But they look just like Blue-Tailed & Large Red in my book.

The top one is indeed a Blue tailed Damselfly.
Its possible that someone with a better knowledge may correct me, but I think the bottom one is a Teneral Common Blue Damselfly, I assume it had just emerged, and not taken its maiden flight, it looks like the wings are still a little shrivelled and have yet to completely dry. I think you can see the mushroom shaped marking on the second segment down from the thorax.

Rich

I would agree with Redwing. I brightened and sharpened the photo on my own pc and you can make out the 'mushroom' mark on the second abdominal segment.
Well done, Rich! :t:

example

Here's one I took earlier (today). I'm afraid it's not a great photo but it does show the field mark of the common blue damselfly.

Attachments

• cbdamsel.jpg
    cbdamsel.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 288
Wow - thats got me thinking a bit.

That's a colouration/ stage of Common Blue thats not shown in the Brooks / Lewington field guide. Are the green eyes an indicator ?

Carlos, I must admit that you've got me a bit worried now. I've had a look in my (few) books. The one I have in French (d'Aguilar and Dommanget) says that the females can be brownish... but this one is almost red. Of course the female doesn't have quite the 'mushroom' shape. Time to call for an expert opinion! I've emailed it to dragonflies-UK yahoogroup.
I've posted a pic of an immature male elsewhere on this site. If I can find it I'll attach a link.

Here we are: It's in this thread
Note the pale, almost lilac blue colour.

Last edited:
Yes - looking back through that entire thread & my book there's a range of colour variations, but can't see one anywhere like that above !

It'll be interesting to find out. Unfortunately I've only got the one book, so thats the limit of my knowledge on the subject.

Well, two people have replied on dragonflies-UK and they both say that it's a teneral male common blue damselfly. And they should know!

Last edited:
Well, thats it then ..... well done Redwing .....

Definitely worth making an extra note in the field guide I think.

Nice one :t:

I know it does not appear as red as your individual, but I have a picture of a simular Teneral Common Blue at the bottom of this thread here. You can clearly see the mushroom.

Regards

Rich

Thankyou all for your input to this thread. I am on a very steep learning curve but I hope that all species are not as tricky as this one. It's great fun learning though.

Near here we apparently have some Scarce Chasers. It was even mentioned in the local paper on the front page. I've had two attempts to find them and have managed a photo of a Black-tailed Skimmer. If I manage to find a scarce chaser and get a photo I will come back here for confirmation, if you don't mind. I won't bother you with the common species unless I am completely stumped.

Thanks again.

Dave

Just for your info here is a picture of the most likely one to confuse with the Common Blue, note the difference in the marking, the dark area forms more of a 'U' shape than a mushroom. Azure Damselfly.

Happy to help Dave, good luck with the Scarce Chasers, i have not connected with that species yet either.

Attachments

• azuredam04-06-03014lw.jpg
    azuredam04-06-03014lw.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 252
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back