• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help with wasp ID (1 Viewer)

herring

I'd appreciate any help that anyone might be able to offer in identifying the attached wasp (at least I think it's a wasp). I shot it today on some thistle heads in Middlesex - It didn't seem to be hunting or parasitising anything, so no clues there. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• wasp.jpg
    wasp.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 213
equipment

Tony_InDevon said:
Hi Herring, Sorry I have no idea what it is but it's a beautiful shot. Can I ask what kit you used? Tony

Thanks for the compliment Tony.

This was shot with a Nikon CP4500 at almost minimum focus distace - about 3 or 4cm. No flash and no supplementary lens. The picture above is cropped to about half the size of the original and there is a very small amount of photoshopping to tidy up the flower head and slightly sharpen the shot. The wasp was about 1cm long.

I've had the CP4500 for about 2 weeks, after years of trying the same shots with 35mm gear - I'm in love. The handling is great, the setup is child's play for anyone used to photography and the picture quality is amazing (for web purposes).

Hello Herring,

Nice picture. NOT A WASP, but a Conopid FLY! Almost certainly Physocephala rufipes. There is only one other species of Physocephala in Britain but it is rather rare. Conopid flies make a living by being internal parasites of bees, females darting down on their hosts to lay eggs on them!

all the best

ian wynne

Many thanks Ian.

I've done a bit of reading up since I posted - I guess the obvious halteres and short antennae should have given me a clue it was Diptera. There were bees +++ at the site, so I this little beauty might have been looking for a host.

Do you know what advantage the fly has in looking like a wasp - or is it just tha form follows function? It does similar things as a parasitic wasp, so evolved looking like one?

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back