• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Use Scope zoom or Camera zoom (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I have been trying out some tests with my Swarovski AT80 AND FujiF31D.

Essentially to see whether you get a better picture increasing the camera zoom or the scope zoom to fill the screen.

I tried various combinations using the eyepiece at 20 and the camera just enough to get rid of the vignetting, increasing the camera zoom to max, and then returning the camera to just enough and increasing the scope zoom so that it filled as much of the screen as did the camera zoom fully extended.

The results were not conclusive but I favoured the scope inreased zoom with the camera zoomed just enough.

Are there any view on this out there ?

Personally I've never found vignetting a problem as it can always be taken out. I always make sure the quality of the image taken is the best possible ie have the telescopes zoom to a minimum (usually 20x) and then zoom the camera as much as possible without sacrificing the image quality. Some of my best images have had vignetting and sometimes it can even add an artistic perspective.
Have a look at http://www.birdlist.co.uk/february2008.htm#kingeider
This bird photo had heavy vignetting
regards, Paul

I'm going to say exactly the opposite to Paul.

I think you're probably correct in thinking that the scope's zoom is preferrable, especially if you have a good scope with excellent optics as you do. Sometimes though (often, even!), I find I have to use both in order to get just a record shot!

Of course, if your camera has a top notch lens, it might make very little difference which zoom you use.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back