• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bushnell Porros (1 Viewer)

Hello Bob,

The 6x30 looks plastic, perhaps clones of the Yosemite?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I agree. It's become common now. I surmise Bushell won't have the 8 x 30 version because of the new and less expensive 8 x 40 they introduced.

Bob

I agree. It's become common now. I surmise Bushell won't have the 8 x 30 version because of the new and less expensive 8 x 40 they introduced.

Bob

Bob,

Did you see that thread by Ruff about the useless binoculars in a sporting goods store?
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=261940

That 8x40 is just too cheap for my eyesight's sake. The 6x30, like the Yosemites is probably OK, but moving up to 8x means rather more care than I would expect at that price point.

I believe that it is an old Latvian proverb, found also among the Finns: I cannot afford cheap.

I note that I am hypothesizing, since I have not even seen the binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Bob,

Did you see that thread by Ruff about the useless binoculars in a sporting goods store?
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=261940

That 8x40 is just too cheap for my eyesight's sake. The 6x30, like the Yosemites is probably OK, but moving up to 8x means rather more care than I would expect at that price point.

I believe that it is an old Latvian proverb, found also among the Finns: I cannot afford cheap.

I note that I am hypothesizing, since I have not even seen the binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Arthur,

I'm not sure what is going on here with Bushnell.

Camera Land is listing a new 8 x 42 Natureview with a price of $149.99 that resembles the 8 x 40 Backyard Birder which Eagle Optic shows. Eagle optics binocular is not a Natureview. Their specs show they are different binoculars. Camera Lands is not yet available but they are taking orders for it with delayed delivery. The advertising copy links it with the 6 x 30 Natureview which is also not yet available. And there is a new 10 x 42 Natureview porro listed with delayed delivery.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/bushnell.pl?page=bushnell224208

The Backyard Birder at Eagle Optics costs about $10.00 less than a Nikon 7 x 35 Aculon but it has a much smaller FOV than the Aculon. Camera Land does not list it.

Bob

Last edited:
I'm new here. The 6x30 does look a lot like one of the yosemite clones. By comparison, the 8x40 backyard birder apparently uses bk-7 prisms and has fold-down eyecups, so it's probably targetting that lower price point.

I'm new here. The 6x30 does look a lot like one of the yosemite clones. By comparison, the 8x40 backyard birder apparently uses bk-7 prisms and has fold-down eyecups, so it's probably targetting that lower price point.

Hello Peat,

Welcome to the Forum.

Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Yes Peat,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

I once played on a softball team with a Pete Moss. He was our center fielder. He wasn't much of a hitter but he covered a lot of ground!;)

But all that aside, the 6 x 30 Bushnell is indeed one clone of many clones of the original Leupold 6 x 30 Yosemite. They have become very popular and are excellent binoculars for their price. (In truth, except for coatings and modern construction, they aren't much different than the millions of 6 x 30 binoculars used by the Armies of the world for the last 100 years.)

There are also 8 x 30 versions of them which may be better optically than the 8 x 40 Backyard Birder, although binoculars with Bk-7 prisms are not necessarily bad deals at this price if the binocular is otherwise well constructed.

Bob

Last edited:

Love the handle PeatMoss. Welcome to the forum!:hi:

Bk7 prisms are not necessarily a bad thing depending on the binocular design as Bob referenced above. The specifics escape me at the moment but I believe Henry mentioned it extensively before.

Bk7 prisms are not necessarily a bad thing depending on the binocular design as Bob referenced above. The specifics escape me at the moment but I believe Henry mentioned it extensively before.

In daylight I cant tell any difference in the two.

I think this was just Bushnell trying to save costs in manufacturing. I can't really say objectively what the end result would be--maybe it matters less in a porro than a roof--but here's what a reference site had to say about this:

"When buying binoculars, there are two immediate levels of prism quality generally encountered. The prisms' glass will likely be either boro-silicate glass (BK-7) or barium crown glass (BaK-4). Although BaK-4 costs the manufacturer a bit more, you'll want it used in your binoculars because it provides a much brighter, sharper image than BK-7. There are not many other glasses used - but the density of the glass should equal or exceed that of BaK-4 glass before you accept it. You'll usually find BK-7 prisms in lower-priced binoculars where quality is sacrificed to compete on price. If the manufacturer doesn't conspicuously say that it uses BaK-4 glass in a model you're considering, you'll do well to avoid that binocular. To say it differently, people who know how to buy binoculars purchase only those which they know have prisms made of BaK-4 glass or better."

Read more from original site: http://www.opticsreviewer.com/how-to-buy-binoculars.html#ixzz2fBCIKrbi

I think this was just Bushnell trying to save costs in manufacturing. I can't really say objectively what the end result would be--maybe it matters less in a porro than a roof--but here's what a reference site had to say about this:

"When buying binoculars, there are two immediate levels of prism quality generally encountered. The prisms' glass will likely be either boro-silicate glass (BK-7) or barium crown glass (BaK-4). Although BaK-4 costs the manufacturer a bit more, you'll want it used in your binoculars because it provides a much brighter, sharper image than BK-7. There are not many other glasses used - but the density of the glass should equal or exceed that of BaK-4 glass before you accept it. You'll usually find BK-7 prisms in lower-priced binoculars where quality is sacrificed to compete on price. If the manufacturer doesn't conspicuously say that it uses BaK-4 glass in a model you're considering, you'll do well to avoid that binocular. To say it differently, people who know how to buy binoculars purchase only those which they know have prisms made of BaK-4 glass or better."

Read more from original site: http://www.opticsreviewer.com/how-to-buy-binoculars.html#ixzz2fBCIKrbi

I dont buy it as a hard and fast rule. In nice bright daylight theres little difference to 55 year old eyes between bak4 or bk7.

Then theres Schott bak4 and theres other bak4's. I'd as soon have a schott bk7 as a Chinese bak4. But I'm not real upset with any of them.

Marketing has used bak4 as a catch word, bak4's are not all the same. What some call BaK4 is PSK3 from what I have read, so until you know the playing field is level it's hard to know what you are really looking at.

Last edited:
I have an old Bushnell 8x30 CF with the dreaded BK - 7 prisms. Guess what? It has better black and white resolution than my Zeiss 8x32 FL or Nikon SE 8x32 on resolution charts. Now the colors are washed out, but this Zeiss clone really can perform doing its job. Maybe the other optical components are simply superior. Don't know.

Must be at least 60 years old.

John

I have an old Bushnell 8x30 CF with the dreaded BK - 7 prisms. Guess what? It has better black and white resolution than my Zeiss 8x32 FL or Nikon SE 8x32 on resolution charts. Now the colors are washed out, but this Zeiss clone really can perform doing its job. Maybe the other optical components are simply superior. Don't know.

Must be at least 60 years old.

John

I have a pair of Royal Crown 7X50 with bk7 prisms that are probably 50 years old, they are an excellent pair of binocs. They were TOC stamped

BaK4 glass has a higher refractive index than Bk7. In other words, BaK4 tends to refract light more strongly than Bk7. For bin prisms, this means that incoming light can hit the BaK4 prism at a steeper angle and still achieve complete internal reflection within the prism. For a Bk7 prism, it can still achieve complete internal reflection, but only for light rays that are hitting it at a more shallow angle compared to the BaK4 prism. In the Bk7 prism, if some light rays are coming in too steep (like from the extreme edge of the objective), then you will only get partial internal reflection from those areas of the objective.

If you look at most porro bins these days, it looks like their objectives are relatively "fast", maybe around f/4 or so. At f/4, light rays from the edges of the objective are coming in to the prisms at a pretty steep angle, and so BaK4 glass would be better than Bk7 if you wanted full illumination of the edges of the exit pupil. If you paired Bk7 prisms with such fast objectives, then you'd get the familiar diamond shape exit pupil. I've attached a picture of this (sorry, not the greatest picture). If you were a binocular designer and wanted to get those edges fully illuminated with Bk7 prisms, you'd probably have to use a "slower" objective and extend the optical path considerably, so that the lights rays from the edges are hitting the prisms at a more shallow angle. But this would make the overall bin less compact.

In bright light, when most people's pupils will contract to may be 2 or 3 mm diameter, using a bin with Bk7 prisms might be just as good as one with BaK4 prisms because you might be able to center your pupils within the fully illuminated section of the bin's exit pupil. The semi-illuminated edges wouldn't even matter. However, in low light, maybe the dim edges would be more noticeable. Personally, the only reason why I'm a bit careful about buying modern bins with Bk7 prisms is that it makes me wonder where else the manufacturer might have cut corners in order to drive down the production cost. Having said this, my first pair of bins from when I was a kid used Bk7 prisms, and I never had a problem with those.

Attachments

• DSCF3069.JPG
    DSCF3069.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back