• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orkney and Shetland (1 Viewer)

Seamoor

I am intending to visit the Orkney and Shetland Isles, mid May early June. Can anyone help regarding the best places to go to photograph birds and local wildlife. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I was in Shetland in 2012 and wrote a blog a day about my week there - if you have a look at that it'll give you some of the places to visit. http://jtweedie.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/a-week-in-shetland-day-1/

Hermaness is the most spectacular bird site, but you could come across excellent birds just about anywhere. Mousa for storm petrels, not so much for photos, but just the experience of having them flying around you at night. There are not too many places with trees, but those that too tend to be the hotspots for vagrant birds. Cetaceans possible too, including killer whales.

Fetlar for red-necked phalaropes - they're not shy, so you can get good photos if they're there and you get good weather.

Last edited:
Orkney and Shetland thank you

Hi thank you very much for the information, have read your blog through several times some great info thank you. I was particularly interest in the rednecked phalarope. Seen one in the distance on the outer hebrides. Which I would highly recommend visiting.

Will be spending a month or so in Scotland, so any other information you may have in other areas would be greatly appreciated. In particular would love to photograph crested tits and crossbills so hope to see them on way up to Orkney and Shetland

Once thank you very much.

Burwick

Glaucous Gull at circa 13:00 today, followed by a Merlin hunting in the fields behind the bay. Bringing our tally to 50 species so far for just 3 days on the islands. Anyone seen any White-front or Barnacle Geese on their travels this week?

Cheers
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back