• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live Cornell Lab Panama webcam: Canopy Lodge (2 Viewers)

I had a look at the camera just now and got a strange view of a 'tail'.
Which later turned out to be a squirrel.
I wonder if we'll ever see any raptors - surely such mammals must be attractive to some hawk or owl.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-03-24 21.44.51.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-03-24 21.44.51.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2018-03-24 21.48.35.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-03-24 21.48.35.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 25
Now a lizard. You cannot see it in the photo but it seemed to have a sort of horn pointing backwards (and a bit droopy) on the back of its head!
A quick look on Wikipedia suggests that it may be The common basilisk (Basiliscus basiliscus). It is also know as the Christ lizard because it can run on water!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-03-25 lizard.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-03-25 lizard.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
There was a spectacular butterfly and a hummingbird just now... but they are terribly difficult to capture! The latter appeared to have a white mark on its cheek and a pale crown stripe.
Tentativley wondering about white-whiskered hermit. Does it occur at Canopy Lodge?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-03-26 22.10.59 butterfly.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-03-26 22.10.59 butterfly.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2018-03-26 22.16.39 hummer.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-03-26 22.16.39 hummer.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
There was a spectacular butterfly and a hummingbird just now... but they are terribly difficult to capture! The latter appeared to have a white mark on its cheek and a pale crown stripe.
Tentativley wondering about white-whiskered hermit. Does it occur at Canopy Lodge?

Nice capture of the butterfly - it is some kind of Prepona, most likely of Archaeoprepona genus. There are several similar species - hard to judge which one.

Can you not see the Twitter feed to the right of the camera footage? It's often quite interesting to scroll through the recent Tweets. There's a good shot of the snowy-bellied hummer in the last few days.

Didn't see the twitter link.

But I figured it out...the link in the original post didn't work anymore. Apparently they restarted the stream. But the stream at the right worked fine.

Just had an ant-tanager.

this thread seems to have more or less expired so I thought I'd post the list of confirmed birds seen so far - and then I'm removing them from my ebird page as I've only seen them remotely!!

1. Grey-headed Chachalaca
  2. Grey-cowled Wood-Rail
  3. White-tipped Dove
  4. Snowy-bellied Hummingbird
  5. Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
  6. Rufous Motmot
  7. Spot-crowned Barbet
  8. Collared Aracari
  9. Red-crowned Woodpecker
  10. Barred Antshrike
  11. Cocoa Woodcreeper
  12. Black-chested Jay
  13. House Wren
  14. Swainson's Thrush
  15. Clay-coloured Thrush
  16. Prothonotary Warbler
  17. Tennessee Warbler
  18. Mourning Warbler
  19. Flame-rumped Tanager
  20. Crimson-backed Tanager
  21. Blue-grey Tanager
  22. Palm Tanager
  23. Silver-throated Tanager
  24. Red-legged Honeycreeper
  25. Green Honeycreeper
  26. Bananaquit
  27. Buff-throated Saltator
  28. Dusky-faced Tanager
  29. Red-crowned Ant-Tanager
  30. Chestnut-headed Oropendola
  31. Baltimore Oriole
  32. Thick-billed Euphonia

Not seen any previous mentions, but at present what appear to be bats zooming around in front of the camera, most of the night. Just appear as blurry outlines when freezing a frame, except that they have a very bright white spot somewhere on the underside (IR emission rather than reflection?) that shows up as a white line in freeze-frame.

The original link in the OP no longer works, this is the current YouTube view:

Panama Webcam

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back