• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June 3, Quito, Ecuador birds, Part XI (more hummingbirds) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Continuing ...

Again, these were taken at a hummingbird sanctuary (all birds are free; they just put up feeders) near the town of Nanegalito northwest of Quito, Ecuador.

I am quite exhausted trying to identifying them (in a good way!), so I will post here first while I try to look through the resources. I think #2 is one of those woodstars, but other than that, I don't have much idea.

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• hummingbird11.jpg
    hummingbird11.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 13
  • hummingbird12.jpg
    hummingbird12.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 10
  • hummingbird13.jpg
    hummingbird13.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 11
  • hummingbird14.jpg
    hummingbird14.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 9
  • hummingbird15.jpg
    hummingbird15.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 11
Here are my suggestions:

1 is one of the large Brilliants, Empress or Green-crowned, I think. The id is tricky, I may have another look later. 2 is female Violet-tailed Sylph, 3 is a female large Brilliant (Green-crowned?), 4 is Fawn-breasted Brilliant and 5 female White-booted Racket-tail.

Andrea

1 is m empress brilliant. Reasons include the outrageously long tail. 3rd is f green-crowned brilliant, I believe, for following reasons: tail not noticeably long (some empress show this), lower belly is not very golden (note there are some bronzy-golden feathers throughout the lower parts, but not as marked as empress), pretty sure the tail underside is metallic blue

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back