• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Great Tit chicks to watch (1 Viewer)

DavidJJones

Garden Bird & Bug Watcher
My Great Tit family is getting its first chicks this morning as their eggs hatch.
Although the eggs have not been visible in my webcam, the chicks can already been seen as they strtch up to greet their parents.

My nestbox diary is being updated throughout the day, and in it you will find some photographs of the first chicks, taken soon after hatching (taken through glass, via a front-silvered mirror without disturbance to the nest).

It's going to be a frantic couple of weeks!

Hi David just checked out your Gt Tit cam. Looks like the female has started to roost for the night.

Brett.

nobby said:
Hi David just checked out your Gt Tit cam. Looks like the female has started to roost for the night.

Brett.

I was beginning to think so until she and her partner started on another feeding session. Having said that it does look as though she has settled down, now that the lights have dimmed.

In fact she was in the box for most of the time this afternoon. There are three eggs still to hatch so she continues to have a bit of incubating to do. Hopefully those last eggs will yield up healthy nestlings tomorrow morning.

It's been an interesting day and seeing her fluffed up tonight is a good reason for me to relax a bit as well!

Do you think your fifth egg will hatch? It's a very small brood for your GT - she should have no problem finding enough food for them.

DavidJJones said:
It's been an interesting day and seeing her fluffed up tonight is a good reason for me to relax a bit as well!

You just can't rely on a bird!

Shortly after writing that, her partner brought in some food, and then egg #6 hatched!

That's amazing David! I've just looked at the diary for today, wonderful! Such detailed photos - even more incentive to get my own nestbox camera!

DavidJJones said:
Do you think your fifth egg will hatch? It's a very small brood for your GT - she should have no problem finding enough food for them.
I don't think it will hatch now.
It is a small brood normally there are 7 eggs. Last year only 3 chicks survived but they had a second batch in another nestbox ( 4 eggs and 4 chick).

Brett.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back