• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash Bird Paintings for All (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the scaup info

love this one :t:has all the grace of a chinese ink drawing, but has color too..... I think keeping up with you has made me use backgrounds, tho I'd have more birdtime if I didn't

love this one :t:has all the grace of a chinese ink drawing, but has color too..... I think keeping up with you has made me use backgrounds, tho I'd have more birdtime if I didn't

I'm using a cheap 1" brush to wop a background in without too much thought.
My friend buys them from a kind of '1 dollar shop' in Singapore where she lives and they're brilliant!

Mike

Beautiful example of all that a 15 minute painting can be. And how it can give you ideas for more developed paintings. And a good setup too. I think I need to get more organized for mine.

Flash paintings seemed like a good idea whilst waiting to see what US does in World Cup this afternoon. This a Hermit Thrush seen at Horicon Marsh last fall. I'd love to have more time to develop it but rules is rules.

This was done based on a photo, and a fair amount of experiences with Hermit Thrushes. Mike's newest painting reminded me of the virtues of working from sketches rather than photos. My fear if I'd done that hear though is that I just never would have gotten details like the eye ring, even though I know it is there. Maybe next time I'll give it a try anyway though.

Attachments

• hermitThrushWC062610.jpg
    hermitThrushWC062610.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 67
Love it!

It doesn't need taking further unless you mean making a new and more developed version?

I thought of continuing on with the waggy but I actually like it too much just as it is! That's unusual for me because I usually see paintings like this as unfinished, but I think it would become stifled if I did any more to it and it would become just another 'bird on a stick'.

I reckon these flash paintings can teach us all a great deal about our own practices.

Mike

thought I'd already commented on the yellow waggy Mike! I'm with Colleen on the oriental feel to it - so warm and breezy - proper summer.

Probably one of the less successful efforts, I got too tied up in the eyes to address anything else in the time.

Mike

Attachments

• lilowl-15.jpg
    lilowl-15.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 57
Great shape - very rounded and solid bird. Actually I don't see how you could have attempted this pose without peding a lot of time on the eyes - it's necessary. It's a success all the same - in fact it could be that you maybe spent too long on the rest of the bird - detail in the eyes and then bleeding away to nothing could also work. It's a spanker.

Can't be beat for a t5 minute painting. Solid as can be as Tim says and the eyes add more to it. My reaction is: how in the world did you get all that in 15 minutes? A great success I think.

Can't be beat for a t5 minute painting. Solid as can be as Tim says and the eyes add more to it. My reaction is: how in the world did you get all that in 15 minutes? A great success I think.

Big brush, chuck it in without worrying! I do have colours at the ready though. The only thing that took any time was the face and, in particular the eyes, even then there's not really much there, just a stoke or two. The only time I slowed down was to get the shape of the eyes, the rest of it felt pretty much out of control tbh!

Mike

Well Mike, yes I see why you say that, but I say take a look at the beautiful surface of rhythmic paint strokes, of the integration of the bird and environment, at the beautiful values and subtle colors and overall owlyness....what more do you want for 15 min?

A resting owl is never going to have the same graceful form of say an avocet as a simple form....a squat oval;)

Looking at this again I think Tim may have the right of it (no surprise there!). Perhaps there's too much elsewhere, other than the eyes. My favourite of my 15 minuters is he yellow wag, no attempt at detail but somehow it works. Anyway it's food for thought for the next exercise.

Mike

I think it's great Mike, I'd allow yourself to bend the rules and give yourself an extra five minutes on it (no more mind!) just to pull the bits you're not so keen on into shape, though it already stands on its own two feet as it is.

yep nothing says you cant' work up a flash painting afterwards....maybe we need a sub category of this genre, say 30 min 8-P blaze paintings

first flash in a long time....some kind of new chickens in the neighbors flock really interesting...I 'll ask when he comes home....BTW chickens never stay still more than an eyeblink...I need some practice I think,..... done direct from life as they were running around free and none too friendly either.

oil on canvas

Attachments

• flash chickens_2378.jpg
    flash chickens_2378.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back