• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Miniature Binoculars (1 Viewer)

That is pretty neat. I have seen these, style not necessarily these in particular, turn up from time to time. I never gave them a second thought as I have a hard enough time with some of the 7x18 reverse porros I acquired. My hands, and nose in particular, are simply too bid to make using them a comfortable experience.

Swift made them (or at least a similar design) for awhile. They are frequently seen on ebay. There are several there now in fact. Some there now are in the $150.00 range which is a bit high to satisfy any curiosity. Some are missing parts which might be difficulty.

These are a bit obscure, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.miniaturebinoculars.com

The design really became popular in the late 1940's through 1960's when numerous Japanese brands offered sizes ranging from at least 5x15 through 10x30 in the reverse external porro prism design. Both center and independent focus models regularly seen on Ebay. Nikon introduced an anniversary version about 10 years ago that delivers really sharp images with excellent color rendition. It is my favorite travel and theater glass because it is so compact and yet easy to use.

Here's an old well-made collectable in 8x20, probably from the 1970s. I assume it's Japanese, since there are no markings. It's a bit fiddly to use, for sure, but no comparison with an 8x20 Swaro that fits into the same case with room to spare. It's 5 deg. TFOV produces an apparent field of only 40 deg., while the Swaro., with 6.6 deg. TFOV, has a more useful apparent field of 53 degrees. That's a 43% difference on an area basis.

I admit it's a cutie to look at though. ;)

Ed

Attachments

• P1020086.jpg
    P1020086.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 214
  • P1020084.jpg
    P1020084.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 115
  • P1020085.jpg
    P1020085.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 102
  • P1020088.jpg
    P1020088.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 114
  • P1020090.jpg
    P1020090.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 114
re: Lupinus binoculars

The Lupinus brand is owned by the Japanese optical company Kowa Co Ltd., so your binoculars are almost certainly a Kowa product. However Lupinus binoculars were manufactured for Kowa by other companies, and I have seen at least one pair of Lupinis binoculars like yours marked with the manufacturer's code for Omori Sogo Kogaku, who made binoculars of this type for many other companies, and under many brand names. As another contributor noted, the reference website www.miniaturebinoculars.com discusses looking for the manufacturer's code, and lists Lupinus among the many brands discussed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back