• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead bull finch (1 Viewer)

Seamoor

The photo is not nice When I got home, after a holiday my neigh our showed me a photo of a bull finch which had got his head stuck in a feeder. Thought you ought to know when feeders are empty what can happen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 103
The photo is not nice When I got home, after a holiday my neigh our showed me a photo of a bull finch which had got his head stuck in a feeder. Thought you ought to know when feeders are empty what can happen

Bullfinches have slightly larger heads than say Chaffinches and certainly of the Tit family. I caught a Reed Bunting trapped in similar fashion a few years back. Fortunately it was still alive - so I ringed and released it. The feeder was pretty much empty so it was reaching in for the last seeds. Took the feeder down until the feeding time of year came round again.

We only used to feed the birds during the winter etc. we were told that if you feed them in the summer the parent birds can feed themselves quickly and then Go off and get insects etc for their young.

I'd guess that when it reached in, its feet slipped off that smooth plastic perch, and it couldn't get a grip again to pull itself out.

If the perch had a better grip texture, it would probably have been OK.

Use a feeder where you can screw in one of those saucer type things into the bottom that's supposed to stop spillage on the ground beneath. My Bullfinches tend to feed on this rather than sticking their heads in the feeders. It prevents a mess but also stops birds feeding on the ground (no spilt seed)which is no bad thing if there are cats around.

Thank you for posting that photo, I must to-day get my feeders down, clean them and either fill or put away for the winter. Its something you never would have thought but it happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back