• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose imprinted on swan? (1 Viewer)

MalR

While walking with my daughter by the River Wear in Durham today, I noticed a female mute swan on the river with a white domestic/farmyard type goose close by.

The goose mirrored every move that the swan made, following it around, never more than three or four feet away.

I had never seen this behaviour before, and in trying to explain it I could only come up with two theories.

One, the big white goose mistook another big white bird for its own kind, although I thought this unlikely. Even if it did, why would it follow it so closely?

The only other thing I could think of is that the goose had somehow become imprinted on the swan after hatching, which would explain its cygnet-like behaviour.

I can't believe it was just some sort of coincidence. We watched them for almost ten minutes and the goose's behaviour didn't change. Also, just a short way upstream, there was another white, domestic-type goose feeding alone.

Anyone witnessed this sort of thing before or have any explanation?

Malcolm

At our local pond there is a male Mallard who lives with 3 domestic geese, my guess is that they are somewhat raised by the other(s). It perhaps isn't as unusual as we may think, in a slightly different way we only have to look at the cuckoo's behaviour to see one species raising another, and I'm sure it happens with mammals too.

Thanks for that, Joe. I did a quick Google search today into the subject, and there was a case reported from the WWT headquarters at Slimbridge in which a mute swan was raising a goose chick.

The reserve warden seemed to think that this was the result of one of two possible scenarios: either the swan had taken over a goose nest, or a goose had laid an egg in a swan's nest. Either way, the goose had become imprinted on the swan.

Whatever the reason in the case of the birds that I saw, it was an interesting sighting and something I had not seen before.

Malcolm

While walking with my daughter by the River Wear in Durham today, I noticed a female mute swan on the river with a white domestic/farmyard type goose close by.

The goose mirrored every move that the swan made, following it around, never more than three or four feet away.

I had never seen this behaviour before, and in trying to explain it I could only come up with two theories.

One, the big white goose mistook another big white bird for its own kind, although I thought this unlikely. Even if it did, why would it follow it so closely?

The only other thing I could think of is that the goose had somehow become imprinted on the swan after hatching, which would explain its cygnet-like behaviour.

I can't believe it was just some sort of coincidence. We watched them for almost ten minutes and the goose's behaviour didn't change. Also, just a short way upstream, there was another white, domestic-type goose feeding alone.

Anyone witnessed this sort of thing before or have any explanation?

Malcolm

I think they are a couple, or at least trying to become one. I don't think it has anything to do with imprinting of baby birds. At this time of year the last year's young are teenagers and are leaving the adults and looking for their own mates.
Where various domestic waterfowl live together in a mixed flock they behave as they are all just one group and may choose their mate by selection from all available candidates. Of course geese normally pair with other geese (of any species).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back