• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

I know there has been an appeal for Blue Tit sightings on the Island but how common are Great Tits ? I watched adults feeding youngsters yesterday morning.

Can anyone please let me know the best Hide at Albufereta for seeing the Glossy Ibis ? If you're reading Mike,I hope you're making good progress.

Hi Ben Nevis, Great tits are common throughout the Island I believe. Blue tits are quite scarce away from the mountains and I am always interested in records, I have only ever seen one here in the south-east in ten years. Michael Schade also saw one in Mondrago, so there do occur but very rarely.
I can't help with the Glossy Ibis I'm afraid but I hope someone else can.
I am making great progress but I am sorry to have missed our annual outing together, I very much enjoyed seeing you the past two years.
My stitches come out Friday but I can't drive for six weeks so I will be covering the local coast hoping for some autumn migration, these four walls are driving me mad, birders are just not meant for staying indoors. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and do keep in touch, all the best, Mike

Thanks Pep. I haven't been up north recently. I look forward to meeting up with you, you can tell me all about your trip to the United States. Mike

Hi Ben Nevis, glad you are going tomorrow, quite an event here in Mallorca.
No, I think Bishop one and Bishop two only have that name that I know about.
You can get a free map at reception when you check in. They are marked on the map, not too far to walk.
Good luck, do let us know. Mike

Thanks Lupe for keeping us up to date.
Most of the Common swift have departed sadly, these fabulous birds scream around every village in the evenings before leaving. I will miss them, they are here for such a short time.
A small group of Pallid swift are circling around my local port today, they leave the Island quite a bit later and sometimes they linger very late in the year.
Stitches out Friday and I will be out and about soon, the Central plain is always worth a visit for migrating harriers and later in the year for Dotterel. Mike

Hi
In case it helps:
CIM hide is now Sa Roca
Bishop I & II are, as Pep says, Es Cibollars I & II
Xisco Lillo hide (near the power station) is now Es Colombars
The 'new' hide over-looking the Sa Roca lagoon is Es Ras
I don't know the name of the hide over-looking the new lagoon below the mound.
Martin

Thanks for everyone's help.Had a great day at śalbufera and a large variety of species was seen,Including a 10 minute spell with a Glossy Ibis at Cillobar 1 this morning,before It flew off.

A morning trip to Tucan Marsh produced Little and Great Egrets,Purple and Night Heron's,Little Grebe and a single Great crested Grebe,Black winged Stilt,Green Sandpiper,Purple Swamphen,Coots,Red crested Pochard,Mallards and best of all on a personal point of view,Little Bittern.A great wee place.

Last edited:
Great news for Black vultures this year with 37 pairs breeding, 32 laying eggs and 25 eggs hatched.
Our thanks go to all the conservationists for their hard work and who have made this success possible. Mike

Hi Ben Nevis, so pleased you got Little bittern, not sure if they bred there this year but they probably did. It's all so frustrating as I am still house bound but I will be up north as soon as I can and see what other news there is. It's been a great breeding season for some species from what I can gather. Mike

Blue Tits

Hi Ben Nevis, Great tits are common throughout the Island I believe. Blue tits are quite scarce away from the mountains and I am always interested in records, I have only ever seen one here in the south-east in ten years. Michael Schade also saw one in Mondrago, so there do occur but very rarely.
I can't help with the Glossy Ibis I'm afraid but I hope someone else can.
I am making great progress but I am sorry to have missed our annual outing together, I very much enjoyed seeing you the past two years.
My stitches come out Friday but I can't drive for six weeks so I will be covering the local coast hoping for some autumn migration, these four walls are driving me mad, birders are just not meant for staying indoors. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and do keep in touch, all the best, Mike

Didn't realise records for Blue Tits were being sought. Between 7- 17 July I recorded 3 sightings in the garden of our villa in Campenet. Family type groups of Great Tits were seen on most days. Whilst I'm on I saw my first 'intermediate' phase booted eagle really close in to the house and I've seen hundreds of this fab. raptor on the island over the years.

Probably my last birding trip of the holiday,took me lnto Boquer Valley this morning,ln the hope of seeing the elusive Balearic Warbler and guess what ? They proved to be elusive ! Plenty Sardinian'so but no Balearic.The best birds were near he Finca with Woodchat Shrike,Serin,Cirl Bunting,Spotted Flycatcher around there. On the path ltself,were the said Sardinian's,Crag Martin,Blue rock Thrush and calling Raven's.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back