• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

They sure will be Ben Nevis! Lots of other good things too I hope.
We should be able to get up north at the end of next week, we still have the family here until Tuesday.
I will drop you a line! Cheers, Mike

I made the gruelling climb up Puig de Teix last Wednesday and failed to find any of the fantastic birds discovered earlier in the month by local birders. However, the views from the top are well worth the climb and I saw Raven, Red kite, Black vulture 4, Griffon vulture 2 and Tawny pipit up there. Also on the way up lots of Firecrests, Spotted flycatchers and many more common woodland species.
The only other place I visited last week was the Depadura. Good numbers of Bee eaters there as well as Turtle dove, Hoopoe, Stone curlew, Short toed lark, Red legged partridge and Common terns with young on the rafts.
Around Arta where I stay. I saw Peregrine most days and both Long eared and Scops owls seen and heard.

A few returning waders are being seen with some Godwits at Albufera. Alpine Swifts are being seen in many parts of the Island but it's all a bit quiet as usual for this time of the year.
Good numbers of Bee-eaters still around Son Bosc.
Albufereta good for many species of heron at the moment.
I am going to Salobrar de Campos later to see what's around but that too has been quiet. Mike

Hi Kevin, sorry that you didn't see either the Rock Thrush or Spectacled Warblers at Puig de Teix but then neither did I.
Glad you thought the flog up there was worth it, it is certainly a great walk.
See you next time, would love to go to Cabrera, it will be a perfect time to go and we will get at least four hours there. Mike

Nice recording Brian.
As far as I know there are three species of snake here in Mallorca; Viperine, False smooth snake and Grass snake. Does anybody know more? It would be interesting to hear. Thanks, Mike

Nice recording Brian.
As far as I know there are three species of snake here in Mallorca; Viperine, False smooth snake and Grass snake. Does anybody know more? It would be interesting to hear. Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike
There is one there that I don't know about - and one that I've just found out about.
The only ones recorded from the Balearic Islands on Fauna Europaea are:
Southern Smooth snake, Coronella girondica (Daudin 1803); Ladder snake, Elaphe scalaris (Schinz 1822); European Ratsnake or Leopard snake, Elaphe situla (Linnaeus 1758) and Viperine snake, Natrix maura (Linnaeus 1758). All in the Colubridae. I think the only one we've recorded in s'Albufera is the last one.
Since our catalogue was published I've also seen and photograped Montpeliers snake, Malpolon monspessulanus (Hermann, 1804) in Sa Roca - but this is an accidental introduction (I have a publication where my photo is used).
I've just read that the Ladder snake, sometimes given as Rhinechis scalaris, and the False Smooth snake, Macroprotodon mauritanicus, are both regarded as introductions. There is also one more introduced snakes in the Balearic Islands: the Horseshoe Whipsnake, Hemorrhois hippocrepis.
I think the ones in the video are Viperine.
Martin

Last edited:
That's brilliant Martin, many thanks, very thorough as always.
I'm sure all readers of this thread are very grateful for your input.
I have seen a species of smooth snake here and Viperine of course but none of the others. Mike

I have just looked up Leopard snake, no mistaking that one! I didn't know about them.
I have received many records of Adder here but I am sure they all refer to Viperine. Mike

Just back from an evening walk at Salobrar de Campos, now 65 Greater Flamingo there, Greenshank, seven Marsh Harrier including two young, a very aggressive Redshank with young, over 100 Avocets, hundreds of Common Swift and Barn Swallow. Many of the Common Swift looked very brown in the evening sun, this years birds I assume, but they were definitely Common, they often get confused at this time of the year.
Then on to Parc Mondrago to watch the sun go down, lots of Stone Curlew, Scop's Owl and then Nightjar churring and later hunting with their beautiful butterfly-like fluttering. Such brilliant birds. Mike

Just thinking about the snakes I believe that the records of grass snake may also be erroneous. The sightings may refer to smooth snake, I don't know for sure but it seems grass snake is not on the list. All are non-venomous I believe, at least I hope they are. Mike

Just back from a lovely week's holiday on the island, mainly making sand castles with my grand-daughter. I did steel a couple of early mornings at Albufereta. The first was spent near the two small pools with the viewing screens separated by a line of fence on the northern side of the reserve.
At least two pairs of successful stilts. Also LRP a breeding success. I only saw them briefly but it appeared to be two Green Sands chased off by the stilts, not sure if they are unusual at this time of year? A good range of other stuff; Nightingale, Cetti's etc.
The second morning was at the tall viewing platform where the river enters the sea towards Alcudia. Lots of Purple, Grey and Night Herons. Several Swamphens, Stone Curlews, Osprey, Marsh Harrier and again a good range of other birds.
I was surprised not to get Eleonora's Falcon on either morning. Just unlucky? I thought they were nailed on especially in the mornings or am I a bit late - is it when they first arrive, like the Hobbies at Cotswold Water Park?
Looking forward to coming back and having a week's birding on the island, rather than just a snippet.

Last edited:
Hi Lawts. Thanks for your records, glad you got some birding in as well as building sand castles, I have been doing the same for the last two weeks.
Eleanora's are easy early on but then move to the mountains and islands to breed. They are a late breeder and rely on dragon flies, beetles and other flying insects when they first arrive I believe. Their diet then changes to migrating birds I have read. It all makes sense as they are now reliably seen at Formentor at the very north of Mallorca.
As usual, others may know more which would be helpful. Mike

Cheers Mike. I always overlook birds that are common in the UK. Just reading through earlier posts and sounds like it isn't common so just shouting out a Blue Tit at Albufereta as well.
Have to also mention the Audouin's Gulls giving superb views on the beach at PP. I love gulls so they were a daily treat.

Just thinking about the snakes I believe that the records of grass snake may also be erroneous. The sightings may refer to smooth snake, I don't know for sure but it seems grass snake is not on the list. All are non-venomous I believe, at least I hope they are. Mike
Hi Mike
I'm sure you are right about them being erroneous records.
As far as all the snakes go, I believe they are all venomous (i.e. they use venom to subdue/kill their prey, rather than constriction), but they are all back fanged so don't present a danger to humans - unless you have small fingers and push on into their mouth!
That said, someone more knowledgable may correct me.
Best wishes
Martin

All a bit quiet during these summer months. A pair of Red Kite are breeding in my local park for the first time which is great news.
There is some returning wader passage but we are all now looking forward to raptor migration. The best place to be is the most southerly point at Cap de Ses Salines. Best times are thought to be between 11am and 1pm but some birds roost in the nearby pines and leave at first light, I have seen good numbers of Marsh Harrier and a few Montagu's Harriers leaving at this time of the day. Also, a few rare birds have been seen late afternoon so you never know, anytime can be good. Often big movements of Honey Buzzard there. Mike

Hi everyone.
Has the European Magpie ever been recorded on Mallorca? I've checked the "Tourists guide" and couldn't find any mention.
When I was at Cuber last week, I was watching a variety of small birds coming down to drink and bathe in a small puddle of water in the wooded valley below the dam, including Linnets,Greenfinch,Goldfinch, Spotted flycatcher and Sardinian Warbler (hoping for Moltonis Warbler...unsuccessfully)
From the cover of the trees, I heard the harsh and loud chattering calls of what I presumed to be a Magpie, but it failed to show itself,could it have been something else?
Thanks for any suggestions....John.

Hi John, Magpie has been reported a few times over the past few years but they have usually been treated with suspicion and I don't think it has been admitted onto the official list, they are seen as escaped decoy birds I believe.
However, two records spring to mind, one in my local park in April I think and another seen in the north, again at peak migration time. Magpie is a sedentary bird although there may of course be some movement. I see no reason why a genuine bird should not turn up I'm Mallorca.
I can't think of any bird here that it could be confused with, the harsh chacking is so distinctive. Others may have something to add but that is my take on the situation.
Thanks for letting us know, Mike

I agree with you Mike, I think there are not any clue about the magpies been scaped from captivity. Nobody have magpies in Majorca, it is a kind of legend that they are birds with not natural origin, but i am sure they have a natural origin.

Thanks Pep. Are you back in Mallorca? I am in Manacor hospital this Friday for another operation so I will be out of action for about two months. Luckily, I hope to be fit again for autumn migration at the Cap.
Looks like you had a fantastic times in the USA. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back