• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (1 Viewer)

Vist around Colonia San Pere this morning. Usual birds but interesting was this moth.
Apparently its origin is South America. Paysandisia archon. Causes damage to Palm trees!
Mike Swiss

Hi Mike
Yes, that's right and it causing problems on a large scale to the palms - especially when added to the damage caused by the Red Palm weevil from Asia. The biggest problem is that the moth has also transferred to the native palmetto which, being a much smaller plant, is often killed.
Martin

Hi Mike
Yes, that's right and it causing problems on a large scale to the palms - especially when added to the damage caused by the Red Palm weevil from Asia. The biggest problem is that the moth has also transferred to the native palmetto which, being a much smaller plant, is often killed.
Martin

But its a great moth.on parr with moon moth

True.
The other fairly spectacular moth on the islands is Antherea pernyi, the Chinese Oak silkmoth. Also introduced but deliberately, in an attempt to establish a silk industry in the Balearics. It failed and the stock were released and have managed to survive on the Holm Oak. It can sometimes be found at sea level but is more usually seen in the Tramuntana.
Martin

Excellent Morning in S'Albufera with Mike and Jane.

Great birds and Great Company.

Birds seen included:

Great and Little Egret, Night herons, Purple Herons, Squacco and Cattle Egrets
4 Glossy Ibis, Red crested Pochards, Shellducks, Gadwall, Little ringed and Kentish plovers
Marsh Harriers, Marbled Ducks, Moustached Warblers, Great Reed Warbler.
Temminck's Stints, Avocets and Black winged Stilts, Common Terns, Woodchat Shrike
Nightingales, Cetti and Fantailed Warblers, Dunnock and Purple Swamphen.

I am sure I missed others!

And yes, the result of the SPAR pies competition...an 8.2 rating..⭐️❤️

Thanks again Mike for all the good work in promoting bird watching in this great Island

Enjoy the Summer

Ps..Bee eaters seen by the Depurador but no sign of the Golden Oriole.

Mike Swiss

It was a great day Mike, many thanks.
The Golden oriole was a female type and probably flew straight through.
See you when you are next here. Mike

Birds seen included:

...Nightingales, Cetti and Fantailed Warblers, Dunnock and Purple Swamphen...

Oooooo.... dunnock! Still need it for my Mallorca list - was it a one-off, or will I be able to look for it when I'm back in September?

Stew

Hi StewB, best seen in the winter at places like Son Real. I have seen them pretty much everywhere around the Island but they are surprisingly hard to see. I have certainly seen them from the depuradora, on the path usually.They are also a moderate migrant. The latest date I can find is 9th May in song but others may know more than me. Mike

Not sure about September though, the typical return dates are in October. Mike

Here's a synopsis of some of the last few years:
In 2010 19 October
In 2011 12 October
In 2012 23 October
In 2013 18 October
In 2015 early November.

Last edited:
Final day at Alcudia Roman Ruins (great for the family and you can sneak in birding) and Bocquer Valley ( so many nice birders there)

Bird seen included Booted Eagles, Ravens, Blue Rock thrush ( reported) Crag Martins and House Martins, Swifts, Hoopoes, Nightingales, Sardinian Warblers, Fan tailed Warblers, Whitethroat, Serins, Goldfinch, Spotted Flycatcher and Kestrals.

I am going to miss this place

Mike Swiss

We will miss you too Mike!
Never mind, you will be back here for the "Big South" at Cap de Ses Salines and all those Honey Buzzards coming through. See you then, Mike

Night Heron at S'Albufera this afternoon eating a chick. Swallowed it all after sitting with just the legs hanging out it's mouth.
Any ideas? Purple Heron?

Also seen Stone Curlew, Night Heron, Squacco Heron, Nightingale, Woodchat Shrike and plenty of B-W Stilts present.

66 total species seen today!

Attachments

• IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 73
Hi Phil. Mallorca can be a great place for migration. In the spring I believe there is broad-front migration all along the south coast. Many species, particularly raptors, move up the Island along the side of the Tramuntana mountains and out through the north at Formentor and surrounding coast.
In the autumn, the reverse happens, with birds arriving on the north coast, working their way south and leaving Mallorca at the most southerly point, Cap de Ses Salines.
Many birders, particularly the locals, meet at the Cap to watch the migrants leaving and have named this annual event as the "Big South". The number of raptors can be impressive on the right day. Many Hoopoes and Bee-eaters also pass through, I have seen over 200 Bee-eaters in a morning. Honey Buzzard are sometimes numerous and there are Hobbies, large numbers of migrant Kestrels and the odd surprise like the now annual Lesser Spotted Eagle.
It's a great day out and is what birding is all about for me, lots of fun and laughter, great birds and good company. Visitors are always welcome as some have found out but I did find it very difficult to begin with as I spoke no Spanish. Mind you, I'm not much better now! All the locals are very helpful thankfully. Mike

Hi Mike
Thank you very much for the info. I will be staying in Port de Pollenca
11-26 Sept. I have seen a Facebook pic of your lot at the Albercutx tower I think it was. Is this good for Autumn raptor migration?
Phil

After a Feb and May visit last year, could only get the wife and teenagers to agree to first two weeks in August this year halfway up the Palma to Valldemossa ... I'm going to frazzle to a crisp. Counting the days now, especially as plenty of UK people I 'know' been over...

Can't wait to wake up at five every morning and go for a drive then a wander and back to feed or take the tribe out for lunch. It's a well worked balancing act!

Miss these sights.

Attachments

• IMG_4862.jpg
    IMG_4862.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 58
Hi Phil, it's worth a go at the tower in September but nobody really knows as all the locals come south! It will be very interesting to find out what passes through there at that time of the year. I suspect it will be very quiet so good luck, you never know! Mike

A good morning at the tower this morning with the first Honey Buzzards coming through before 9am which is earlier than usual. Good numbers though.
I did hear that some visitors saw some raptor migration past the tower during last week. Lalo keeps a record of all raptor migration so if anyone has any details could they please post them here and I will pass the sightings on. Many thanks, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back