• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

Hi Martin, can you please help with this moth. I found it in a Vienna park and haven't been able to identify it.
Regards Kevin
View attachment 629277

Hi Kevin
This is a relative of the clothes moths, Euplocamus anthracinalis (Scopoli, 1763), quite a spectacular little moth. The larvae feed on bracket fungi and decaying wood. Nice pic.
Martin

Hi Kevin
This is a relative of the clothes moths, Euplocamus anthracinalis (Scopoli, 1763), quite a spectacular little moth. The larvae feed on bracket fungi and decaying wood. Nice pic.
Martin

Thanks Martin. It's a spectacular little moth and I've read that there is only one dubious 19th century U.K. record for this species.

Thanks Martin. It's a spectacular little moth and I've read that there is only one dubious 19th century U.K. record for this species.

Yes, an error by Turton (1802), repeated by Samouelle (1819) - discounted by Stephens (1829), etc.

Last week I posted the attached photo from Son Real in our brief report on our early May visit. I carelessly assumed at the time, and subsequently labelled it, as a summer resident "badius" race woodchat shrike. However, the bird has a pale primary patch, making it a nominate race "senator" (presumeably a migrant).

Ooops...

Stew

Attachments

• 041 Woodchat Shrike 1.jpg
    041 Woodchat Shrike 1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 66
Hi Stew. I believed the same as you, i.e. That badius was the local breeder and that senator was just a passage migrant. I will look into it a bit more and if I find anything to the contrary, I will post here. Mike

I trekked up Puig de Teix, near Valldemosa, this morning starting before 7am. Any later than this and it gets a bit warm. I found probably two pairs of Spectacled warblers thanks to information and a map supplied by Pep, and also saw a Rufous-tailed rock thrush, but not good views sadly. My round trip took seven hours. I know some people do it in a lot less time, but it really is quite a tough walk so anyone thinking of going needs to allow lots of time. Take plenty of water too, it's quite steep.
Also news today of an unseasonal Sandwich tern near the port of Palma. Mike

Hi Mike
I will be at PP from the 21st June for a family holiday. I am very keen to add Nightjar and Woodcock to my list. Is there a good place for them near PP or should I plan on going down your way.
Many thanks
Phil

Hello Phil,
For the European Nightjar try in s'Albufera Natural Park and Son Real. I have seen it /hear it "quite well" in the Park Natural de Llevant (east side) and in Mondragó (south-east). Most of the times before dawn.

The Woodcock is a wintering and migrant here, so now is not the rigth season to see it.
Good luck!
Cristina.

Hi Mike
I will be at PP from the 21st June for a family holiday. I am very keen to add Nightjar and Woodcock to my list. Is there a good place for them near PP or should I plan on going down your way.
Many thanks
Phil
Hi Phil
I've heard Nightjar while moth trapping on the Es Comu dunes (part of the s'Albufera reserve). If you drive from the reserve towards Can Picafort you reach a large roundabout on the outskirts of that town (with a supermarket set back from the road on the right). Go right round and head back towards Alcudia and after a short distance there's a pull-off on the right with a few parking places. Park there and take the sandy path that leads towards to sea but take a left turn (blocked with a chain barrier) after a short distance. Walk along this path until the pines start to give way to more open, low vegetation. Stop there and listen, the Nightjars tend to call from the pines on the left, the ones llining the road on the inland part of the dunes.
Hope this helps
Martin

Thanks Martin, I didn't know about that site. Just to add something else, the Nightjars in Mondrago start churring at 9.20 pm and usually show around 9.30pm. Mike

I am still receiving reports that Spectacled warblers are being seen regularly at Cuber reservoir. Nobody I know personally has seen any there despite several visits. If anyone knows where exactly they are, could they please post here. I have only ever seen Moltoni's there. Thanks, Mike

I am still receiving reports that Spectacled warblers are being seen regularly at Cuber reservoir. Nobody I know personally has seen any there despite several visits. If anyone knows where exactly they are, could they please post here. I have only ever seen Moltoni's there. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike
I saw a family group there but it was many years ago. They were just before the dam but before the area was planted up with pines.
Martin

Hi Mike
I saw a family group there but it was many years ago. They were just before the dam but before the area was planted up with pines.
Martin

Hello,
They were seen (completelly confirmed) by last time in 2013 there, just before the dam, but the trees and bushes has been growing and it seems they have abandoned the area, maybe going up the mountains because there are too much vegetation there now.
In the area there are several pairs of Sylvia subalpina (moltoni's warblers, but the locals from Majorca, not the typical from Europe, now known as Subalpine warbler) whom reklam is like a rattle-snake almost exact to the spectacled warbler.
Thanks
Josep

Last edited:
A nice morning at Salobrar de Campos with Michael Schade. One Glossy Ibis was the star, quite rare at this site. Three Water rails showing and 55 Flamingoes also present. Three Eleanora's Falcons flew through, all dark morph. They are never plentiful at the salt pans so they were a nice surprise.
The Western Reef Heron is still showing at times from Sa Roca hide, Albufera. Mike

Thanks Pep and Martin. The reports I am receiving are all from this year. I suspect they are seeing Moltoni's as Pep suggests.
If I learn more, I will post on here. Mike

Hello!
Regarding to the Nightjars, just now, one birdwatcher (Gary) has told me he found a dead one in Camí de Llenaire yesterday, quite sure hitted by a car :(
This is not a good new but it means that some of them are in that area.

Cristina

Evening guys, not birding this year so no bins to use but saw what I am guessing were 5 Eleanora's falcons hunting over the beach at Camp de Mar this evening from about 9:30. I am assuming id on the basis that we have seen them here at this time of year whenever we have come and somebody on a previous year's thread said hobby are a rare sight on the island.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back