• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified bird (painting) (1 Viewer)

This is an illustration by John Palencar in an unsolved 1982 US treasure hunt called The Secret. I don't know if it's meant to be any particular bird, but I'd be interested to know if it was recognisable...

Attachments

• mysterybird.jpg
    mysterybird.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I'd imagine it was based on Barbary Falcon ...

falconer's bird at any rate considering the perch.

edit: or possibly Lanner. Or something inbetween ...

Last edited:
Cheers...that picture you linked to, together with this verse, is a clue for an unknown location somewhere in Boston, Massachusetts. (It involves references to an inscription on Boston Library and Paul Revere's midnight ride.)

If Thucydides is
North of Xenophon
Take five steps
In the area of his direction
A green tower of lights
In the middle section
Near those
Who pass the coliseum
With metal walls
Face the water
Your back to the stairs
Feel at home
All the letters
Are here to see
Eighteenth day
Twelfth hour
Lit by lamplight
In truth, be free.

Sorry, drifting off the birdwatching topic a bit here. ;-) Someone previously suggested a Peregrine. I had no idea. It's helpful to know they were thinking on the right lines. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Pale nape especially indicates the two species I mentioned as opposed to those mentioned by Mark. Dark end to tail indicates Barbary ... If the species is relevant, then I think it 'unlikely' to be one of those four - too many 'features' don't match up if you were going for accuracy. Historically of course in Europe/Middle East Barbary/Lanner/Peregrine/Merlin could all be possible.

Not sure that it has to be an 'American'species at all. And could be a falconer's hybrid. (How long have they been producing them?)

Of course it may just be a representative 'Falcon' ... and not meant to be accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back