• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 1 V1 with 18.5mm f/1.8, 82mm ED Fieldscope, 30x DS Eyepiece & DSB-N1 (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
Just gotten my DSB-N1 today. Assembled it in the evening with the 18.5mm f/1.8 lens and managed a record shot of this Collared Kingfisher in somewhat low lighting condition. Settings: ISO200 1/60s f/1.8 0EV cropped 30%.

Image still appeared soft despite the autofocus fine-tune of the V1. But could be due to the low shutter speed. Got to try it out some more in different lighting conditions.

Attachments

• 8534296430_2492713451_z.jpg
    8534296430_2492713451_z.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 298
Looking forward to more shots in better light. Unfortunately there are no DSB-N1 or DSA-N1's available in the UK yet

Tested the 18.5mm/DSB-N1 with this very obliging Lesser Whistling Duck during noon-time which was cloudy. The duck was less than 10 meters away.

Got to try the setup with smaller birds this weekend.

Attachments

• 8535889739_6f79632138_c.jpg
    8535889739_6f79632138_c.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 8535890793_1894967315_c.jpg
    8535890793_1894967315_c.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 8535893763_740c63cea7_c.jpg
    8535893763_740c63cea7_c.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 8535897251_6a3298124d_c.jpg
    8535897251_6a3298124d_c.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Shot the Blue-winged Leafbird and Blue-crowned Hanging Parrot at ISO100 and 1/125s. Images were cropped 30% and processed with Adobe Camera Raw 7.

Attachments

• 8542120586_5e287296de_c.jpg
    8542120586_5e287296de_c.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 8541019041_0b272bc6df_c.jpg
    8541019041_0b272bc6df_c.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 8542119324_621c11c806_c.jpg
    8542119324_621c11c806_c.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 8542118794_87e0fe7ab5_c.jpg
    8542118794_87e0fe7ab5_c.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 96
Sharing 3 images of a Red-eyed Bulbul shot with the same setup - ISO100 1/125s 25% cropped.

Attachments

• 8543381251_5cf2eeb0d4_c.jpg
    8543381251_5cf2eeb0d4_c.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 8544479112_085a0df09f_c.jpg
    8544479112_085a0df09f_c.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 122
  • 8544479524_23f349e5ee_c.jpg
    8544479524_23f349e5ee_c.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 136
UK availability of DSA-N1 & DSB-N1

Looking forward to more shots in better light. Unfortunately there are no DSB-N1 or DSA-N1's available in the UK yet

Hi
I have been liaising with Nikon UK this morning and they informed that these digiscoping adaptors for the Nikon 1 cameras are now available to order.

The only problem is I can't find any Nikon dealer in the UK who has them in stock, so I can't try before I buy...!

However, having deduced that the DSA-N1 renders one to manual focus through the scope, it offers no advantage over using my FSA-L2 adaptor to connect my D5100 to my EDG85-A scope which relies purely on manually focussing the scope. Therefore I think this has swayed me to go with the DSB-N1 so I keep autofocus capabilities through my Nikon 1 10-30mm and 18.5mm lenses.

Would still be nice to have the opportunity to look at the adaptors and try them before committing to buy. The joy of having bought into the Nikon digiscoping system, which has very few support stockists, unlike Swarovski and Kowa...!

To sum up, the Nikon DSA-N1 and DSB-N1 can be ordered through any Nikon dealer or via the Nikon Online store - http://store.nikon.co.uk/token/--ca...sories__category_c_accessories_sportoptics}--

Regards

Pen
North Cotswolds

However, having deduced that the DSA-N1 renders one to manual focus through the scope, it offers no advantage over using my FSA-L2 adaptor to connect my D5100 to my EDG85-A scope which relies purely on manually focussing the scope. Therefore I think this has swayed me to go with the DSB-N1 so I keep autofocus capabilities through my Nikon 1 10-30mm and 18.5mm lenses.

I prefer to shoot at manual focus when using the DSB-N1 as it allows me to zoom in onto the subject to try to make sure the focus is correct.

I do not trust the auto focus capabilities of the camera especially when the subject is small and fairly faraway. It may appear sharp on the LCD or viewfinder but often turned out soft when viewed from the computer monitor.

Thanks very much SeeToh. I hadn't thought about manually focussing. I did not realise people using the V1 (or other Nikon 1 bodies) prefer to manually focus instead of relying on the camera's autofocus system when digiscoping.

From what you say then, would it make more sense to just go with the DSA-N1 which is lighter and more compact?

How do you find using these adapters?

I don't have any stockist in the UK where I can go and try them to decide between the two, so I have to make the decision on which one to buy without any hands on experience first. Not ideal. It makes me feel very uncomfortable as I would rather have the opportunity to see how well they marry up with my FEP eyepieces - the 30W, 50W and 75W (which I rarely use because of heat shimmer etc) on the EDG85-A and which adapter is quicker and easier to use...

Hard to know...

without trying them out, as you say

Others have advised to go for the Bracket rather than the Adapter so that you can use your N1 lenses and have a choice between auto and manual focus.

Someone also suggested the lens in the DSA-N1 is not of the highest quality

If the DSB-N1 is the way to go, there may be cheaper and even better alternatives from someone like SRB Griturn

Thanks very much SeeToh. I hadn't thought about manually focussing. I did not realise people using the V1 (or other Nikon 1 bodies) prefer to manually focus instead of relying on the camera's autofocus system when digiscoping.

From what you say then, would it make more sense to just go with the DSA-N1 which is lighter and more compact?

How do you find using these adapters?

I don't have any stockist in the UK where I can go and try them to decide between the two, so I have to make the decision on which one to buy without any hands on experience first. Not ideal. It makes me feel very uncomfortable as I would rather have the opportunity to see how well they marry up with my FEP eyepieces - the 30W, 50W and 75W (which I rarely use because of heat shimmer etc) on the EDG85-A and which adapter is quicker and easier to use...

Pen

I have both adaptors.

Got the DSA-N1 first. It is light/compact and easier (relative to the DSB-N1) to balance on the scope with the camera. As it is fully manual, you got to be dexterious enough to get subject in frame, focus scope and press the electronic shutter release quickly. This setup, however, is great for those very obliging subjects that remain still on a perch for minutes. The sad part about the electronic shutter release is that you could only shoot one shot at a time and it take 1-2 seconds for the camera to write image to card before you could shoot again.

As for the DSB-N1, it is was bulkier and take longer time to attach to the camera and scope. You can shoot at autofocus mode but it is still the focus on the scope that really matter. Even though the camera focus box turn green when you depressed the shutter half-way, it does not guarantee that a good focus is obtained. Also when at autofocus mode, you cannot zoom in onto the subject to get a bigger image which is available in manual mode. The big plus point the DSB-N1 has over the DSA-N1 is the manual cable release which would allow you to shoot in continous mode.

With regards to the IQ differences, you may refer to my flickr photostreams (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53435640@N05/). To me, the IQ of images shot with both adaptors looked pretty much the same to me.

Hope my two cents worth of feedback helps.

Pen

I have both adaptors.

Got the DSA-N1 first. It is light/compact and easier (relative to the DSB-N1) to balance on the scope with the camera. As it is fully manual, you got to be dexterious enough to get subject in frame, focus scope and press the electronic shutter release quickly. This setup, however, is great for those very obliging subjects that remain still on a perch for minutes. The sad part about the electronic shutter release is that you could only shoot one shot at a time and it take 1-2 seconds for the camera to write image to card before you could shoot again.

As for the DSB-N1, it is was bulkier and take longer time to attach to the camera and scope. You can shoot at autofocus mode but it is still the focus on the scope that really matter. Even though the camera focus box turn green when you depressed the shutter half-way, it does not guarantee that a good focus is obtained. Also when at autofocus mode, you cannot zoom in onto the subject to get a bigger image which is available in manual mode. The big plus point the DSB-N1 has over the DSA-N1 is the manual cable release which would allow you to shoot in continous mode.

With regards to the IQ differences, you may refer to my flickr photostreams (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53435640@N05/). To me, the IQ of images shot with both adaptors looked pretty much the same to me.

Hope my two cents worth of feedback helps.

Hi SeeToh

That's perfect having both adaptors to be able to choose which one to use when. In an ideal world, I would like both as slipping the DSA-N1 onto the eyepiece does look a quicker process.

I am not adverse to manually focussing so that wouldn't bother me but being limited to single shooting would be frustrating I feel.

Therefore I think for maximum flexibility's sake and for the shutter release cable, I will go with the DSB-N1 initially as other people who have commented on this thread seem to be using it successfully too. I do appreciate everyone's input so thank you very much. Before buying though, I will take another look at SRB Griturn to see if there is an equivalent adaptor to this. The custom-made one I have from there screws onto the end of my 10-30mm lens and fits onto my 30mm eyepiece. It does not, however, work with my 50X and 75X eyepieces but mine is a different style adaptor to Nikon's...

It's good to know that I can zoom in to check focus when using manual focus mode on the V1. I was not aware of that feature, so thanks for the tip SeeToh.

I agree in that I couldn't really see any difference in quality between your DSA-N1 and DSB-N1 tagged photos on Flickr. Nice collection of images - you have such colourful birds compared to the UK!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Regards

Pen

There is a guy name Simon Brumby in Flickr who digiscoped with the V1, 10-30mm, Nikon 82mm ED Fieldscope, 30x DS eyepiece & (if I am not wrong) the SRB Griturn adaptor.

Check out his Flickr photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonbrumby/. Try contacting him regarding his setup.

Thanks SeeToh

I will ask him what type of adaptor he is using from SRB Griturn. It might be the same screw-on version like mine but I will check with him...

without trying them out, as you say

Others have advised to go for the Bracket rather than the Adapter so that you can use your N1 lenses and have a choice between auto and manual focus.

Someone also suggested the lens in the DSA-N1 is not of the highest quality

If the DSB-N1 is the way to go, there may be cheaper and even better alternatives from someone like SRB Griturn

Thanks for your input. I appreciate you mentioning what others have advised to buy. Very good to know. I was struggling to find much mention at all of these adaptors online.

I hadn't heard about the quality issue with the lens in the DSA-N1.

It's nice to see another UK digiscoper on the forum. Are you a Nikon user yourself?

Hi - yeah, I'm just getting started. I have a Nikon ED50 and the Nikon 1 V1 and am looking for the best way to hook them up as well. I mailed Simon on Flickr to ask what he's using. I have the 27x wide EP and bought the FSA1 and 2 to convert it to a DS eyepiece

Hello again, Pen

I've managed to speak to Simon and he's using a 40.5 to 58mm step up ring to connect the Nikon V1 10-30mm kit lens to a Nikon FSA-3 adapter which then connects to a DS eyepiece

Hope this helps

Marco

FSA-3 adapter - UK availability?

Hello again, Pen

I've managed to speak to Simon and he's using a 40.5 to 58mm step up ring to connect the Nikon V1 10-30mm kit lens to a Nikon FSA-3 adapter which then connects to a DS eyepiece

Hope this helps

Marco

Hello Marco,

I have the ED82a & 30x DS eyepiece & V1. Am looking for a simple way to connect them together. Do you know if/where the FSA-3 adapter is available in the UK please?

John

Hi, I bought mine (it came as a set fsa 1,2 and 3 - don't know if you can buy the 3 only) from Wex Photographic and it seems they've sold out.

They have a set for sale here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-FSA-1...UTF8&qid=1367585619&sr=8-4&keywords=nikon+fsa

Strangely, the pic shows 1, 2 and 3, but the description only refers to 1 and 2. There's only one left - I would email them (microglobe.co.uk)

The other place you could try is www.srb-griturn.com who sell their own versions. The staff are really helpful too

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back