• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SURVEY OF 50mm-66mm SCOPES (1 Viewer)

I too get the impression that Bird Watching magazine tend to favour Leica. They always seem to rate their bins higher relative to the competition than I would do. (But then again, what do I know?)

I think as always you have to take reviews from any source as a rough guide. If lots of reviews agree then chances are they are on the mark. I have seen at least one review in Bird Watching that was well off the mark.

As they say, buy Leica and you are safe in the knowledge that you've bought the best advertising money can buy. Or something like that.

I think at the top end choice is subjective and differences minimal.

When I got my scope I went out with the expectation of buying a Swaro 65 with 20-60 zoom. But I did try it alongside the Leica APO 62, 16-48 zoom, before buying.

I ended up buying the Lieca, the image just seemed much brighter and sharper to me, but hey, my eyes aren't what they were!!

So as Lief says above I reckon you should take reviews as a rough guide only. Try the options out and go with what you think is best for you.

Martin

That's why I bought my Swarovski, Lief. Not so much lots of reviews agreeing but lots of Bird Forum members. Figured it was hard to go too far wrong with such a well-recommended scope.

Now that I've had some experience with that one, I'd feel a lot more confident about trying different ones out and backing my own judgement. If I were buying a second one now and liked something that wasn't quite as universally recommended - a Kowa or a Nikon, say, something from the second rank - and it seemed to my eye just as good or better, I'd go with it (and save a small fortune).

But for first-time buyers (as I was), there is confidence in numbers.

(Memo to self: given an opportunity to try different scopes in a field situation, jump at the chance!)

I had a similar experience to Martin.

The differences of opinion on this Thread can only lead to the conclusion that different scopes suit different folks,so try before buying.

They are interesting reviews. They reinforce the need to go to a good optical retailer to choose a scope. The choice also depends on how the scope is going to be used. I was hoping to order a scope to be delivered at my UK address ready for me to use immediately on coming home for vacation. I think it will be prudent to try them out first.

In the May issue of Bird Watching magazine, it says that Steve Dudley (who's a consultant for Leica and helped design their scopes) is the compiler of the survey (not a tester) and wrote the buying advice at the start. The testers are Graham Catley, Mike Weedon and Katie Fuller (plus Kit Moss for the scope survey).

I don't think Steve has done any optics reviews recently. Graham Catley seems to do the majority of them.

On Steve's website it says he uses a Nikon Coolpix 995 for digiscoping.

Crackadee

I have a sneaking suspicion as to who Crackadee could be... and if I am right they would be correct on identifying the team in the mag.

I'm not sure what your point is here Doug. Anyone who has access to a copy of the magazine could provide you with the info that crackadee gave.

I think you may be putting 2 & 2 together and come up with 5.
Not everyone living in Peterborough works for EMAP.

Paul

crackadee said:
In the May issue of Bird Watching magazine, it says that Steve Dudley (who's a consultant for Leica and helped design their scopes) is the compiler of the survey (not a tester) and wrote the buying advice at the start. The testers are Graham Catley, Mike Weedon and Katie Fuller (plus Kit Moss for the scope survey).

I don't think Steve has done any optics reviews recently. Graham Catley seems to do the majority of them.

On Steve's website it says he uses a Nikon Coolpix 995 for digiscoping.

Crackadee

Leica's man at Birdwatching magazine more than Birdwatching magazine's man at Leica, some would say. A very nice guy, it has to be said.

The red spot disease is rather contagious so let us hope that not too many of the Birdwatching team have been infected over the years.

Get well soon,
Sandy

Leif said:

As they say, buy Leica and you are safe in the knowledge that you've bought the best advertising money can buy. Or something like that.

Funny that you should mention that. I have heard that Leica will be reigning-in their advertising expenditure in the not too distant future. This could be bad news for a few 'celebs' and also publications that have alienated other manufacturers.

Sandy

There seems a nasty case of Swaro Snob disease, breaking out on this thread.

Leica are a fine maker of high quality optics (as are Swarovski), and this childish sniping at them (and Leica owners) is unjustified.

Paul

Paul Rule said:
There seems a nasty case of Swaro Snob disease, breaking out on this thread.

Leica are a fine maker of high quality optics (as are Swarovski), and this childish sniping at them (and Leica owners) is unjustified.

Paul

None of my posts have been aimed at the general Leica user, only Birdwatching magazine's staff involved with optics reviews in recent years. I represent no specific manufacturer but I am reflecting a view held by many in the birding optics trade.

Sandy

Sandy

I accept that, you were not aiming you comments at Leica users, although your wording can certainly be taken that way, but I still feel that sniping at Leica in thead started by someone asking for advice on bying a scope, is out of place

Paul

I think this thread was started by Johnny1 to highlight the fact that Birdwatching mag had done a review of scopes, so it's not entirely inappropriate to discuss this magazines reputation for bino/scope reviews... though it's unlikely to have been the direction that Johnny had in mind.

In all fairness, as Crackadee has already pointed out, I think they (Birdwatching mag) have gone some way to address some of the problems regarding any conflict of interest that may arise from staff having close associations with specific manufacturers.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back