• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2020 (1 Viewer)

I know they are trying to make a point but I wish they would film Britain's wild Beavers instead of Britain's captive, fenced-in ones.

John

And I wish they would stop yakking when we are trying to listen to the bird song they are yakking about.

With you on that! :t:

Mind you, with all its faults (and among those I'm going to mention use of the meaningless word "mindfulness" to cover short films with no narration) it's still one of the best things on TV, though the bar is low these days. Springwatch on means Escape to the Country, EastEnders, anything with Stacy Dooley, any reality shows etc are NOT on. Which can only be a good thing. :t:

John

I know they are trying to make a point but I wish they would film Britain's wild Beavers instead of Britain's captive, fenced-in ones.
John
Completely agree. It would have been well worth looking at the habitat effects of the free-living ones on the River Otter. Even better they could have highlighted the Scottish government's decision to allow landowners to slaughter the population in the Tay catchment (87 shot legally in 8 months).

And I wish they would stop yakking when we are trying to listen to the bird song they are yakking about.
Completely agree with this too. Same for 'background' music.

Chris Packham's step daughter was impressive - very assured, good luck to her.
I thought she rather upstaged her step-father, although she was as bad as anyone when it came to talking all over the birdsong (especially the bit about song mimicry).

Episode 1 24 minutes 51 seconds into the programme - a Cetti's Warbler singing? In the Mendip Hills?

Meant to say earlier - A good bit of Thursday's "Mendip Hills" section was very clearly filmed at Chew Valley Lake. So, a slightly wide definition of "Mendip". Not a problem for me, good to see a variety of habitats.

New format is much better and more relaxed. Chris's step-daughter indeed is impressive. They have dissed both Eastenders and Netflix in Episode 4. Steve Backshall is always a great guest host and enjoyed the segment introducing his son to nature.

Well that was disappointing. Far too much naffness related to but unhelpful in respect of mental health and wellbeing: especially that pointless, timewasting visual simile of biochemical brain balance. You've got the idea that nature is good for both, stop maundering on about it and show us a full hour of the nature we turned on the TV for!

John

Well that was disappointing. Far too much naffness related to but unhelpful in respect of mental health and wellbeing: especially that pointless, timewasting visual simile of biochemical brain balance. You've got the idea that nature is good for both, stop maundering on about it and show us a full hour of the nature we turned on the TV for!

John

Broadly agree with you on this. The nature wellness pitch was a tad overdone. Pleased to see the plug for Derek Niemann's book though. It's a very good read.

Alan

Much better last night, enjoyed more readers pix/videos (Tawny Owl chicks "branching" on the roof!) and the moth trap bit was excellent. Another confident performance by Meg who may have a future in broadcasting.

John

Got a lot of time for Gordon Buchanan but was disappointed he failed to include spring lamb on the extensive diet of WTE. He hails from Mull so will be aware of the issue. Daresay he felt it wasn't appropriate or SW. I wonder if there are sheep farmers around the Lake of Menteith?

Alan

Great to see the Knepp Estate in West Sussex in last nights programme. I originally come from near there and its good to see a fairly barren estate become a fantastic place for wildlife. Indeed I paid a visit there a couple of years back [ as much of my family still live nearby ]. It's a magic spot. If you haven't read Isabella Tree's book Wilding which is about the Knepp Estate project, then do so. Many locals showed much scepticism and opposition to the project at first, you know, [ we don't want weeds growing our gardens thanks ], but now there is a general acceptance to it and the area looks much the better for it. Hopefully more land owners and estate managers will follow suit in the future. Who knows?

Si

Agree it was great seeing the Knepp Estate featured. Guess like most places will be feeling the pinch from lack of revenue from visitors recently.

Also concur with John on the moths & on the abilities of Meg as a presenter. You can almost see Chris oozing with pride as she does her bit to camera. Well done!

For me one of the magical moments was seeing Chameleon Shrimps-I'd never heard of them, but my knowledge of marine life is woefully inadequate!

Shame Gordon is only here for one week but then also enjoyed Steve from the Thames last week.

Overall enjoying the compromised format.

Just watched Friday's episode. Am I dreaming, or did I hear Bee-eaters at around 50:30, when Chris was showing a clip of greater horse-shoe bats ?

Just watched Friday's episode. Am I dreaming, or did I hear Bee-eaters at around 50:30, when Chris was showing a clip of greater horse-shoe bats ?

In that particular case I think no, I think it was the audible warbling that you get listening to GHB on a heterodyne bat detector (which is well worth a listen for anyone who's never heard it). I couldn't hear it very well though, probably too much talking over it.

However, the other day (prior to Friday) I did think I could hear Bee-eaters on Springwatch, just can't remember which segment it was in. I was mightily puzzled but assumed it was me, not them....

John

There were background calls of Bee Eaters when Buchanan was narrating a piece about nesting Ospreys. Quite clearly too. Think it was Thursday. You're not hallucinating folks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back