Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rubber armor loose ... normal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Tuesday 10th September 2019, 18:10   #26
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,720
Leica responded back and said there's "there's no cause for concern if they handle okay otherwise..."
He did mention if it gets worse over time to send it in and they'll take a look.

They do use adhesive. He said some stress from usage over time can cause it to separate a little, but in my case
not to worry about it.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 02:25   #27
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 5,981
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by F88 View Post
Eye relief is listed as 16mm for the new CL and 16.5mm for the Victory.
Weight is 490g and 290g respectively.
I think both these options should provide more optical performance and viewing comfort than one may expect.
Depending on how much of an issue weight (and size) are one is close to the more standard 32 size in that regard while the other is a true light weight pocket size.
Without these considerations I'd personally skip the 30 and jump to a 32, that's why my collection steps up from 25 to 32 and so on as the 30's aren't really a compact. However if the CL weight is acceptable for your shoulder then it may well be the perfect compromise.
I know that GG has said that one of the biggest factors in ultimately going with the Leica 7x42 (apart from the quality, sharpness, colours etc) was the 'ease of view'. Very important when you are wearing glasses - and very difficult to replicate as the EP size drops.

The Swarovski's maximize whatever EP the format dictates by having generous 'randpupille' in their designs - basically more margin of error in eye placement and alignment. Sounds like the 'out of this world' New 8x30 CL may exhibit that too .... provided one can live with alien looks ! The 8x32 SV also has an extra wide Fov so that also helps with the feeling of an immersive easy view too.

I'm sure GG will give the choice quite some thought and trialing. Stability of viewing and Ergonomics will be a key factor too - in many ways the ideal is more one of larger size (easier to hold and so less stress on tendons and ligaments etc) AND lighter weight .... difficult to come by.

GG if you do end up with the Swarovski 8x32 SV can you please get one in tan armour so that I can live vicariously !



Chosun
Chosun Juan is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 10:39   #28
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
I know that GG has said that one of the biggest factors in ultimately going with the Leica 7x42 (apart from the quality, sharpness, colours etc) was the 'ease of view'. Very important when you are wearing glasses - and very difficult to replicate as the EP size drops.

The Swarovski's maximize whatever EP the format dictates by having generous 'randpupille' in their designs - basically more margin of error in eye placement and alignment. Sounds like the 'out of this world' New 8x30 CL may exhibit that too .... provided one can live with alien looks ! The 8x32 SV also has an extra wide Fov so that also helps with the feeling of an immersive easy view too.

I'm sure GG will give the choice quite some thought and trialing. Stability of viewing and Ergonomics will be a key factor too - in many ways the ideal is more one of larger size (easier to hold and so less stress on tendons and ligaments etc) AND lighter weight .... difficult to come by.

GG if you do end up with the Swarovski 8x32 SV can you please get one in tan armour so that I can live vicariously !



Chosun
Yep ! about the EP size and comfort with eyeglasses. 8x32 EL is gonna be better than 8x30 I think.

Yep! about the tan EL. I much prefer the tan over the green. I have the tan CL...real pretty. I don't like Swaro's shade of green. I do like the color green, but think Kowa green and Meopta green are the right tone greens compared to the Swaro green.

I'm not trying a lot of bins. I don't have access to them. If the Audubon store has the new CL I'll try it but I doubt it will be my choice over the EL. Also take a peek at the 25mm Victory but that's not going to be my primary bin (too small).
Really the only 8x32 bin I like with long eye relief is the EL and I already know it will work well from trying it a few times in the past. I like the conquest hd but that's getting a bit heavy at 22 ounces and it's a bit bulky for 32mm. I prefer the EL and that's what I'll most likely get if I can pony up the cash from selling stuff.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Wednesday 11th September 2019 at 10:45. Reason: Cleaning up typos
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 10:52   #29
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,720
I got some other stuff on my ebay site too that will go towards the new bino...if they sell.
Some things have been up for quite a while with a bunch of watchers. Hope that's not gonna be the same
fate for the Ultravid. I have watchers and I just know they're waiting for the price to come down. I priced it
fairly and have no other competition at this point. I don't see any other 7x42 used plus models anywhere online.
But people want something for nothing. Can't count how many times I found great bargains for items on eBay with a ton of watchers and I would swoop in and buy it. People just keep waiting for the price to keep dropping and never pull the trigger. They don't know a good deal when they see it...they want more. I've bought some great stuff for cheap that way.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Wednesday 11th September 2019 at 10:55.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 12:32   #30
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,632
I think 7X is tough to sell, as compared to other formats, it is popular here on BF but other locations I am not sure. You could also list them on Astromart, $15.00 covers you for a year to sell or buy, and you would not have to pay that *^%%$# commission to the bay, which keeps rising.
They should sell, but selling premium glass takes time and patience these days.

Additionally some watchers are waiting to see if a certain product sells at a certain price, they are not necessarily waiting for the price to come down, since they are not really interested in buying the product.

Andy W.

Last edited by dries1 : Wednesday 11th September 2019 at 12:36.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 12:45   #31
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
I think 7X is tough to sell, as compared to other formats, it is popular here on BF but other locations I am not sure. You could also list them on Astromart, $15.00 covers you for a year to sell or buy, and you would not have to pay that *^%%$# commission to the bay, which keeps rising.
They should sell, but selling premium glass takes time and patience these days.

Additionally some watchers are waiting to see if a certain product sells at a certain price, they are not necessarily waiting for the price to come down, since they are not really interested in buying the product.

Andy W.
Yep I think you're right on all counts here. I realize some watchers are just sellers. I been selling on eBay for a long time now and notice lately things are taking longer to sell in general and part of that may be tax being applied now.

I'll just have to be patient. Thanks for reminding me about astromart. I believe I have an old account with them. I'll post it there too.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 14:40   #32
Tringa45
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
The Swarovski's maximize whatever EP the format dictates by having generous 'randpupille' in their designs - basically more margin of error in eye placement and alignment. Sounds like the 'out of this world' New 8x30 CL may exhibit that too .... provided one can live with alien looks !
Swarovski's new 8x30 CL is an excellent little binocular with very good ease of view, even for glasses wearers, but the "Randpupille" is almond-shaped, which is not surprising considering the dimensions of the barrels (and prisms).
On my 7x42 SLC and 10x42 EL SV the Randpupille is gibbous moon-shaped.

John
Tringa45 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 15:09   #33
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,520
For some people the Beechers Mirage 7x30 might be something to consider.
I don't know how it works with eyeglasses. Maybe prescription lenses could be attached to the eyepieces.

It weighs 3 ounces.
9 degree field.
8ft to infinity.

I haven't tried one yet, but at least I know it exists if I needed it.

Regards,
B.
Binastro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 15:30   #34
Tringa45
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
For some people the Beechers Mirage 7x30 might be something to consider.
I don't know how it works with eyeglasses. Maybe prescription lenses could be attached to the eyepieces.

It weighs 3 ounces.
9 degree field.
8ft to infinity.

I haven't tried one yet, but at least I know it exists if I needed it.

Regards,
B.
These appear to be Galilean binoculars like the Vixen SG 2,1x42.
The deeper you crawl into them, the greater the FOV
Nigh-on useless for glasses wearers though.

John
Tringa45 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 15:56   #35
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,520
The smaller Beechers Mirage are Galilean, but the larger ones I think use high reflection mirrors to provide an upright image similar to the Russian 30x50.
I don't think that a Galilean 7x30 would provide a 9 degree field.

I think that Dennis may have looked through these.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Even the 4.5x seems to be prismatic with long eye relief eyepieces.
The weight saving seems to be due to the use of mirrors instead of traditional glass prisms.
From memory, the inventor maybe worked with NASA.

Last edited by Binastro : Wednesday 11th September 2019 at 16:16.
Binastro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 17:42   #36
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,520
There are instructions for clinicians to adjust the 7x30 Beechers Mirage to the patient.

The correct distance from the eye lens to the eye is 10mm. But I don't know if one can fit corrective lenses for astigmatism.

I supppose the eyepieces are 3 element for such a low weight.

Warnings with the instructions.
Do not look or stare through binoculars at direct sunlight.
Do not walk or run while looking through the binoculars.
Do not use or look through the binoculars while riding a bicycle or operating motorized vehicles.
Do not place binoculars down where direct sun rays could enter through the optics, fire may occur.

An Allen wrench is supplied for various adjustments.

For someone with limitations on weight etc. I think that these binoculars allow reasonable birdwatching viewing.

B.
Binastro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing rubber armor/armour of Trinovid 10x42 BA Megaloblatta Leica 3 Sunday 11th November 2018 15:29
Separation of the rubber armor from binos body andrea86bert Swarovski 6 Tuesday 1st October 2013 16:40
Rubber armor coming off? ap307 Zeiss 23 Monday 7th March 2011 01:29
poisonous?? Minox HG 8x33 rubber armor? yo5454 Minox 5 Wednesday 10th February 2010 00:34
Touch-up rubber armor??? Forcreeks Spotting Scopes & tripod/heads 0 Saturday 14th February 2004 08:10

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.14955592 seconds with 24 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:21.