• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boreal owl? (1 Viewer)

Lucre

Yes, I can cook pizza
It seem like it is. I just wanted a second opinion

thanks!

Attachments

• Pucciosità massima.jpg
    Pucciosità massima.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 180
This is why posters need to include the location, unlikely to be a Saw-whet if it's in Italy but not sure that Tengmalm's (Boreal) occurs there either?

Last edited:
I suspect the owl was not actually photographed in front of that tree.
I don't see why not - the twig (and lichens on it) is consistent with other twigs in the pic, some of which are directly connected to the trunk. The tree is a Scots Pine, so it is more likely a Tengmalm's Owl [Aegolius funereus funereus] in Europe rather than a Boreal Owl [A. f. richardsoni] in N America (though as Scots Pine is locally naturalised in N America, Boreal can't be completely ruled out).

What I find a bit sad is that it's obviously a professional quality photo which is someone's copyright, and that copyright has been endlessly breached by all those 'free wallpaper' websites on the web without even any acknowledgement of who the photographer is. I looked at several of them to see if any offered any clues, but nothing.

If the original artist does not watermark or put a copyright in the metadata or at least put a copyright on the original webpage, it's kind of the wild west, especially if they uploaded it to a sharing site.

There are reverse image search engines (like google's at https://images.google.com/) where you can use a URL or upload a photo to search for it. But it's a lot of work unless you're protecting commercial assets.

My first impression was that it was a doctored photo and a possible composite. The uniform shadowless lighting on the bird looks as though it was highlighted with flash which contrasts with the overall (Soft possibly Dawn/dusk) background lighting which is undoubtedly originating from the left of the picture....it justs strikes me as being 'Not-quite-right?'........'Unatural'

I could be totally wrong....and my appologies if I am ....but that's just how it strikes me!

My first impression was that it was a doctored photo and a possible composite. The uniform shadowless lighting on the bird looks as though it was highlighted with flash which contrasts with the overall (Soft possibly Dawn/dusk) background lighting which is undoubtedly originating from the left of the picture....it justs strikes me as being 'Not-quite-right?'........'Unatural'

I could be totally wrong....and my appologies if I am ....but that's just how it strikes me!

Strikes me the same way, even allowing for the over-exposure and the shallow depth-of-field. If a composite, it was skillfully done.

I suspect the owl was not actually photographed in front of that tree.

I didn't have this idea but after this small debate hear I looked again. I really wonder how the bird can sit on that twig without grabbing it properly. Shouldn't the toes be visible? Could be a really skillfully done collage indeed. Once more an example to not just trust what you believe to be proven by a photo from the internet. Strange...

I didn't have this idea but after this small debate hear I looked again. I really wonder how the bird can sit on that twig without grabbing it properly. Shouldn't the toes be visible? Could be a really skillfully done collage indeed. Once more an example to not just trust what you believe to be proven by a photo from the internet. Strange...

There are many bird photographers about these days that prefer to obliterate the background leaving the subject on a perch with a bland background. Great ID shots as they are often crystal clear but I do prefer photos where original background is present as it adds important information.

It is not such a difficult task these days using Adobe products or the plethora of other Software on the market these days to seriously and professionally doctor images.

The talons of the birds right foot are clearly visible.

My wife, who is a good photographer, has looked at this and says she doesn't think it's a composite. Clearly been cleaned up and over brightened. The top of the birds head has clearly been tidied up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back