• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (47 Viewers)

2014-2015 Report

I will be picking up some reports from Mike later. I won't be down at the reserve until this afternoon as I have to get my suit for my Daughters wedding this Saturday B :)
The Report is 2 years so the cost is the same as two separate reports £6...
I will ensure that those that have already asked me to reserve one , get one. If you want one then PM or text me
All proceeds after printing costs going to the upkeep of the reserve
:t: john

Last edited:
I will be picking up some reports from Mike later. I won't be down at the reserve until this afternoon as I have to get my suit for my Daughters wedding this Saturday B :)
The Report is 2 years so the cost is the same as two separate reports £6...
I will ensure that those that have already asked me to reserve one , get one. If you want one then PM or text me
All proceeds after printing costs going to the upkeep of the reserve
:t: john

Will try and get over this afternoon to get mine :) flashes?

Quick visit after work in the rain/snow to the Flashes.

Dunlin 1, Common Sandpiper 3, Oystercatcher 1 (sailing pool), Skylark 1 (heard only), Little-ringed Plover 6, Willow Warbler 1. 100+ hirundines over the sailing pool.

lots going on over the last two evenings but the weather takes the biscuit.
pic 2 yet another worse photo this time of a rook causing trouble

Attachments

• IMG_3010.JPG
    IMG_3010.JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    523.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    547.5 KB · Views: 111
NORTH MOORS :
Little grebe pair. Teal male. Shoveler pr. gadwall pr. tufted 6. Whitethroat . Sedge warbler 3.

MOORS :
GCG. little grebe 6. cormorant. Shoveler 6. gadwall 3.Oystercatcher 6. lapwing pair. Common sand 2.
stock dove 4. sand martin 65.
willow warbler 2. chiffchaff 5. blackcap 6. Whitethroat. lesser whitethroat. Reed warbler 3. sedge warbler 6. Cetti's Warbler 2

FLASHES :
Shelduck 6. shoveler 4. gadwall 2.
Avocet 34. LRP 6. lapwing 12 -14. 6 sitting. Oystercatcher 4 (8 in total ). Common sand 4. Common tern 2. BHG 650. LBBG 10.
kestrel. Buzzard. stock dove 14. sand martin 55 dropped in during storm.
sedge warbler 3.

NORTH MOORS :
Little grebe pair. Teal male. Shoveler pr. gadwall pr. tufted 6. Whitethroat . Sedge warbler 3.

MOORS :
GCG. little grebe 6. cormorant. Shoveler 6. gadwall 3.Oystercatcher 6. lapwing pair. Common sand 2.
stock dove 4. sand martin 65.
willow warbler 2. chiffchaff 5. blackcap 6. Whitethroat. lesser whitethroat. Reed warbler 3. sedge warbler 6. Cetti's Warbler 2

FLASHES :
Shelduck 6. shoveler 4. gadwall 2.
Avocet 34. LRP 6. lapwing 12 -14. 6 sitting. Oystercatcher 4 (8 in total ). Common sand 4. Common tern 2. BHG 650. LBBG 10.
kestrel. Buzzard. stock dove 14. sand martin 55 dropped in during storm.
sedge warbler 3.

As the sightings over the last few days have indicaTed it's tough going at the minute. However there are birds out there - two members of the Wednesday crew unearthed Wood Warbler and Pied Fly at Earlswood yesterday plus a flock of 20+ Arctic Tern. Hopefully they can bring their magic to Upton today.

Dave J updates from the Moors Pool this morning:

3 Avocet, 4 Common Sandpiper, Cuckoo, 2 Teal, 2 Whitethroat, 5 Reed Warbler, 11 Sedge Warbler, 3 Otter, Roe Deer

Just a reminder that the Spring All-Day Birdwatch takes places on Saturday 7th May. As well as the usual participants of Belvide, Middleton Lakes, Grimley and Sandwell Valley there will also be a host of Warwickshire sites also taking part. At Upton there will be the usual bacon sarnies and with a bit of luck a selection of cakes. Mike will hopefully be posting some stats from previous events in the week before hand and a tick list.

It was very very cold today: sunshine and cloud and a wintery shower.

Flashes
Avocet 23 (three sitting) - it would be interesting to know where the other ten or so Avocets present in the mornings clear off to on my shift
Lapwing 12 (sitting bird from front of hide gone), LRP 4 (a bird sitting again in front of main hide just beyond large cage: chased off a moorhen and an avocet) Oystercatcher 4 (one seen over sailing pool), Common Sandpiper 3 (total of 8 on the reserve today)
Gadwall 1 pair, Shelduck 2, Shoveler 3m, 1f, Tufted Duck 6
Raven 1 on nest, Kestrel 1m, Sparrowhawk 1, Black Headed Gull 271 occupied nests counted, Willow Warbler 1, Blackcap 2

Hen Pool
Cetti's Warbler 1,Reed Warbler 1, Sedge Warbler 3

Sailing Pool
Common Sand 1, Great Crested Grebe 2, Mute Swan 2 (looks like first nesting attempt abandoned), Tufted Duck 15, Cetti's Warbler 1, Goldcrest at nest (picture of nest) , Lesser Whitethroat 2 together, except the one chased the other. Sand Martin 70, Swallow 50, House Martin 30

North Moors
Teal 1m, Tufted Duck 4m 3f, Willow Warbler 1 singing, Sedge Warbler 1 singing, Reed Warbler 2 singing, Little Grebe 1pr, Coot with two recently fledged young

Moors
Great Crested Grebe 2, Mute Swan 2 occupied nest, Shelduck 2, Shoveler 3m, 1f, Tufted Duck 62 again, Little Grebe 2/3, Gadwall 2m, 1f
Common Sand 4, Oystercatcher 2 sitting, 4 birds present, Lapwing 2
Nuthatch, Mistle Thrush 1, Coal Tit 1 singing, Cettis Warbler 2 singing, Sedge Warbler 1, Reed Warbler 3, Lesser Whitethroat 1, Sand Martin 30, Swallow 20, House Martin 10, SWIFT 2 (JHWR only)

This evening there was a song thrush near the East Hide making a Redshank call, JHWR thought occasionaly it gave a Greenshank call. (At Earlswood we have one that does Oystercatcher which catches us all out!)

Salwarpe Public Footpath
Skylark 2 singing, Green woodpecker 1 heard, Treecreeper 1, Jay 1, Sparrowhawk, Blackcap 7, Chiffchaff 5

RWP walked back from the flashes to the moors along the Salwarpe he reported seeing a Marsh Harrier (at about 16.45) which "flew along fields adjacent to Salwarpe towards the Swan at just about tree height'. He has since said "poss 2cnd summer male". (I didn't see the bird.)

Attachments

• P1080898.jpg
    P1080898.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 162
Quite a while since my last visit, but still grabbed a couple for PWC

North Moors 0600-0700
Rook*
Common Whitethroat*
Sedge Warbler
Song Thrush
Blackcap (8-10)
Cettis (2)

Sailing Pool 0710
Common Sandpiper (1)

Flashes 0715-0945
Avocet (31)
Oystercatcher (2)
LRP (3)
Gadwall (3)
Water Rail (1)
Sedge Warbler (2)
Jay (1)
Common Sandpiper (3)
Blackcap (2)
Cettis (1)

Moors 1015-1230
Swallow
House Martin
Sand Martin
Mistle Thrush (2)
Common Sandpiper (2)

Just a reminder that the Spring All-Day Birdwatch takes places on Saturday 7th May. As well as the usual participants of Belvide, Middleton Lakes, Grimley and Sandwell Valley there will also be a host of Warwickshire sites also taking part. At Upton there will be the usual bacon sarnies and with a bit of luck a selection of cakes. Mike will hopefully be posting some stats from previous events in the week before hand and a tick list.

Anything is possible ;) Hopefully the attached will suffice.

Attachments

• spring checklist.xls
    93 KB · Views: 114
Anything is possible ;) Hopefully the attached will suffice.

Cheers Mike - can you just confirm our highest and lowest totals over the years. The long range forecast currently is predicting southerlies by the end of next week with temperatures rising to 16C by the All-Dayer itself.

Mike reported a Redshank and Common Sandpiper amongst the usual waders at the Flashes and a pair of House Sparrow in brambles below the Sailing Centre car park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back